This discussion is closed.
MRLX69
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I put a Ketone (I suspect propanone), in a test tube. Then add sodium. To my knowledge, nothing should happen, but it started fizzing.... Then it was VERY vigorous! My question is... WHY does it react? What does it form? I'm really baffled! helppppp!

Ketone + Sodium = ?????? + gas?
BCHL85
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Are you sure that's just ketone, no other funtional group in it?
MRLX69
Rep:
?
(Original post by BCHL85)
Are you sure that's just ketone, no other funtional group in it?
Nope, there's only ONE functional group in this unknown compound. The mass spec, IR spec, NMR says it's a ketone (propanone). It also reacts with PCl5, which got me to think it may be a carboxylic acid, but I found out why it reacts with PCl5. If it is a carboxylic acid, then all the hydrogen's can't be in the same environment, there's only 6 hydrogens.
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
perhaps the ketone was not pure liquid and the sodium was reacting with water? (=> NaOH + H2 gas)
maybe it was contaminated by some other way?

also reacting with PCl5 would indicate water being present too.
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Sorry, but if it can react with PCl5 .. you'll infer it contains -OH group, not -CO group
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And sodium can react with alcohols ... do you know about that?
MRLX69
Rep:
?
Sodium reacts with alcohol, yes I know. And yes, it does have some water in it. That's why. But when I tested for H2 given off......... NOTHING. Then I went on to testing O2, CO2....... nothing :confused:
MRLX69
Rep:
?
Sorry, but if it can react with PCl5 .. you'll infer it contains -OH group, not -CO group
Look, I'm given the:

1)Mass spec.

2)IR spec

3) NMR

And it DOES contain a C-O AND a C=O (From the IR). The NMR shows it has 6 hydrogens ALL in the same environment. The Mass spec shows it has a mass of 58. ALL goes with propanone. (The C-O is explained by some additional research I've done).

A Ketone DOES react with sodium, and my teacher said if I look on the net about the reactions of ketones, I'll be surprised. But I can't find ANYTHING :confused:
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Can you discribe more detail what you did? I don't think that propanone can reacts with sodium.
MRLX69
Rep:
?
Can you discribe more detail what you did? I don't think that propanone can reacts with sodium.
I did the same thing with Acetone. (I know for sure that it's acetone). And it does resct with sodium. It just fizzes vigorously........ I haven't been able to test what gass is given off. I think it should be H2. I'm going to build up H2 in the test tube tomorrow.
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What else did you see? Any ppt?
anchemis
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This is a cruel experiment... sodium is a REDUCING AGENT.... so any CARBONYL group would be reduced to and ALCOHOL... err.. gas evolved should be hydrogen.... test it with a lighted splint... (btw.. I am not entirely sure... its quite a while since I done organics)

but... the sodium further reactions with the alcohol... to form a sodium alchoxide... err... RO- Na+ (yes... alcohols are NOT acidic but they do become conjugate acids with sodium) and Hydrogen gas is released
anchemis
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
oh... and C=O + [reducing agent] --> C-OH + H2O...
and Na + H2O produces the H2 gas....
idiopathic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
aah haha you mean like sodium borohydride or NaBH4 or whatevr
anchemis
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah... cause sodium likes to be oxidised...
MRLX69
Rep:
?
I FOUND OUT WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WAHEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE MY UNIVERSITY FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I KNOW YOU'RE NOT ON TSR BUT I LOVE YOU BEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHA

:bootyshak
idiopathic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MRLX69)
I FOUND OUT WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WAHEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE MY UNIVERSITY FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I KNOW YOU'RE NOT ON TSR BUT I LOVE YOU BEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHA

:bootyshak
Why! I'm curious!
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, me too. As far as I know ... ketone can not react with Sodium, so it must have something strange in this reaction.
MRLX69
Rep:
?
Try it for yourself. It DOES react. Vigorously as well.... Once I get ALL the info, I'll tell you guys. I don't want to write anything false. I'm meeting up with my uni friend tomorrow again . But honestly, try it yourself! Get acetone and put some sodium in it! Watch it REACT!
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, me too. As far as I know ... ketone can not react with Sodium, so it must have something strange in this reaction.
I'm guessing that Na is reacting with propanone much as it would with any acid - producing a sodium salt and evolving hydrogen gas. The hydrogens in the alpha positions to the carbonyl are fairly acidic (pKa about 20), and will probably react as such (as in a simple enolisation). That might well be rubbish, though!

Ben
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads

Latest