Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Alright, here goes (I haven't got he full details).

It is a H2 gas produced. Something to do with the fact that a ketone doesn't exists in the structure shown in the text books. It exists the in a similar way as amino acids (not really but it's an example of what I'm talking about). Something about the 'resonance structure'. Plus there could be some water in it so it forms an equalibrium of di-ols. BCHL85, if you still don't believe it reacts, please try it yourself. Get some acetone and add sodium to it.

I'm off to watch that da vinci code thing on tv noww!!!! YAY!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    I'm guessing that Na is reacting with proponane much as it would with any acid - producing a sodium salt and evolving hydrogen gas. The hydrogens in the alpha positions to the carbonyl are fairly acidic (pKa about 20), and will probably react as such (as in a simple enolisation). That might well be rubbish, though!

Ben
    Sorry ..Na reacts with propanone CH3.CO.CH3 ... so you mean oxygen pulls electron density to itself ..so H in CH3 is more active? Yeah, it does, but I think that doesn't make C-H bond be weaker enough to react.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCHL85)
    Sorry ..Na reacts with propanone CH3.CO.CH3 ... so you mean oxygen pulls electron density to itself ..so H in CH3 is more active? Yeah, it does, but I think that doesn't make C-H bond be weaker enough to react.
    Trust me, I've just had an entire term of lectures on this topic - it reacts. Ever wondered what keto-enol tautomerism is?

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Once I get all the info off my friend tomorrow, I'll tell you guys.

Thanks all for trying to help me! Really appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, I've just had an entire term of lectures on this topic - it reacts. Ever wondered what keto-enol tautomerism is?

Ben
    Thank you Ben! IT DOES REACT! BCHL85, take this! :aetsch:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MRLX69)
    Thank you Ben! IT DOES REACT! BCHL85, take this! :aetsch:
    Ok, I'll try myself.

ReputationRep:
    So can sodium react with aldehyde? As your explanation for ketone ... C=O in aldehyde can also make it more acidic, right? So it could be. I just know reaction between carbonyl compound with a compound of Sodium is NaHSO3.
    I asked my teacher, and he said ... he had never tried ... and guess if it's dry ketone, there's no reaction.
    Sorry cuz I'm still confused about that.

ReputationRep:
    So can sodium react with aldehyde? As your explanation for ketone ... C=O in aldehyde can also make it more acidic, right? So it could be. I just know reaction between carbonyl compound with a compound of Sodium is NaHSO3.
    I asked my teacher, and he said ... he had never tried ... and guess if it's dry ketone, there's no reaction.
    Sorry cuz I'm still confused about that.
    It seems more likely to be a reduction, actually. I'm interested now.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    It seems more likely to be a reduction, actually. I'm interested now.

Ben
    Did you find out something about that? I myself can not do the reaction cuz of my teacher. But I do believe that it can not react. Maybe Im too stubborn :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Did you find out something about that? I myself can not do the reaction cuz of my teacher. But I do believe that it can not react. Maybe Im too stubborn :cool:
    Yes you are. You are ignorant and stubborn. You're merely doing A level. They do not tell you the whole story. Please don't argue with me any more. I KNOW it reacts and I know WHY it reacts. Please look in a degree level ORGANIC CHEMISTRY text book. I will not waste my time arguing with you anymore. You ignorant fool.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you are. You are ignorant and stubborn. You're merely doing A level. They do not tell you the whole story. Please don't argue with me any more. I KNOW it reacts and I know WHY it reacts. Please look in a degree level ORGANIC CHEMISTRY text book. I will not waste my time arguing with you anymore. You ignorant fool.
    I didn't argue with you, MRLX69. Ok, my Chemistry level is not high enough, but I asked Ben.S about reaction between aldehyde and sodium. And I also asked my Chemistry teacher about that, he thought like I did. If the ketone is not dry, they may react.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't argue with you, MRLX69. Ok, my Chemistry level is not high enough, but I asked Ben.S about reaction between aldehyde and sodium. And I also asked my Chemistry teacher about that, he thought like I did. If the ketone is not dry, they may react.
    Sorry about my harsh reply . Well, it does. Dry or not dry. Ketones form a resonance structure making it vunerable to electrophilic and nucleophilic attacks. I found it out in some Chemistry degree book which I illegally took notes from in a bookshop .

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about my harsh reply . Well, it does. Dry or not dry. Ketones form a resonance structure making it vunerable to electrophilic and nucleophilic attacks. I found it out in some Chemistry degree book which I illegally took notes from in a bookshop .
    It's called 'enolisation' - I told you!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    It's called 'enolisation' - I told you!

Ben
    enolisation only occurs when there's the presence of a base or a catalyst. It's when the resonance structure reacts. But I don't believe my compound contain water...... better ask the teacher to make sure. Thank you Ben!

ReputationRep:
    enolisation only occurs when there's the presence of a base or a catalyst. It's when the resonance structure reacts. But I don't believe my compound contain water...... better ask the teacher to make sure. Thank you Ben!
    Enolisation takes place in acid or base, really!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Enolisation takes place in acid or base, really!

Ben
    Well, I'm a bit shakey now but I would believe so. I have both the "Base-catalysed mechanism for keto-enol tautomerism" and the "Acid-catalysed mechanism for keto-enol tautomerism" right in front of me.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.