This discussion is closed.
MRLX69
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Alright, here goes (I haven't got he full details).

It is a H2 gas produced. Something to do with the fact that a ketone doesn't exists in the structure shown in the text books. It exists the in a similar way as amino acids (not really but it's an example of what I'm talking about). Something about the 'resonance structure'. Plus there could be some water in it so it forms an equalibrium of di-ols. BCHL85, if you still don't believe it reacts, please try it yourself. Get some acetone and add sodium to it.

I'm off to watch that da vinci code thing on tv noww!!!! YAY!
BCHL85
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ben.S.)
I'm guessing that Na is reacting with proponane much as it would with any acid - producing a sodium salt and evolving hydrogen gas. The hydrogens in the alpha positions to the carbonyl are fairly acidic (pKa about 20), and will probably react as such (as in a simple enolisation). That might well be rubbish, though!

Ben
Sorry ..Na reacts with propanone CH3.CO.CH3 ... so you mean oxygen pulls electron density to itself ..so H in CH3 is more active? Yeah, it does, but I think that doesn't make C-H bond be weaker enough to react.
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BCHL85)
Sorry ..Na reacts with propanone CH3.CO.CH3 ... so you mean oxygen pulls electron density to itself ..so H in CH3 is more active? Yeah, it does, but I think that doesn't make C-H bond be weaker enough to react.
Trust me, I've just had an entire term of lectures on this topic - it reacts. Ever wondered what keto-enol tautomerism is?

Ben
MRLX69
Rep:
?
Once I get all the info off my friend tomorrow, I'll tell you guys.

Thanks all for trying to help me! Really appreciated!
MRLX69
Rep:
?
Trust me, I've just had an entire term of lectures on this topic - it reacts. Ever wondered what keto-enol tautomerism is?

Ben
Thank you Ben! IT DOES REACT! BCHL85, take this! :aetsch:
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MRLX69)
Thank you Ben! IT DOES REACT! BCHL85, take this! :aetsch:
Ok, I'll try myself.
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
So can sodium react with aldehyde? As your explanation for ketone ... C=O in aldehyde can also make it more acidic, right? So it could be. I just know reaction between carbonyl compound with a compound of Sodium is NaHSO3.
I asked my teacher, and he said ... he had never tried ... and guess if it's dry ketone, there's no reaction.
Sorry cuz I'm still confused about that.
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
So can sodium react with aldehyde? As your explanation for ketone ... C=O in aldehyde can also make it more acidic, right? So it could be. I just know reaction between carbonyl compound with a compound of Sodium is NaHSO3.
I asked my teacher, and he said ... he had never tried ... and guess if it's dry ketone, there's no reaction.
Sorry cuz I'm still confused about that.
It seems more likely to be a reduction, actually. I'm interested now.

Ben
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It seems more likely to be a reduction, actually. I'm interested now.

Ben
Did you find out something about that? I myself can not do the reaction cuz of my teacher. But I do believe that it can not react. Maybe Im too stubborn :cool:
MRLX69
Rep:
?
Did you find out something about that? I myself can not do the reaction cuz of my teacher. But I do believe that it can not react. Maybe Im too stubborn :cool:
Yes you are. You are ignorant and stubborn. You're merely doing A level. They do not tell you the whole story. Please don't argue with me any more. I KNOW it reacts and I know WHY it reacts. Please look in a degree level ORGANIC CHEMISTRY text book. I will not waste my time arguing with you anymore. You ignorant fool.
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes you are. You are ignorant and stubborn. You're merely doing A level. They do not tell you the whole story. Please don't argue with me any more. I KNOW it reacts and I know WHY it reacts. Please look in a degree level ORGANIC CHEMISTRY text book. I will not waste my time arguing with you anymore. You ignorant fool.
I didn't argue with you, MRLX69. Ok, my Chemistry level is not high enough, but I asked Ben.S about reaction between aldehyde and sodium. And I also asked my Chemistry teacher about that, he thought like I did. If the ketone is not dry, they may react.
MRLX69
Rep:
?
I didn't argue with you, MRLX69. Ok, my Chemistry level is not high enough, but I asked Ben.S about reaction between aldehyde and sodium. And I also asked my Chemistry teacher about that, he thought like I did. If the ketone is not dry, they may react.
Sorry about my harsh reply . Well, it does. Dry or not dry. Ketones form a resonance structure making it vunerable to electrophilic and nucleophilic attacks. I found it out in some Chemistry degree book which I illegally took notes from in a bookshop .
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sorry about my harsh reply . Well, it does. Dry or not dry. Ketones form a resonance structure making it vunerable to electrophilic and nucleophilic attacks. I found it out in some Chemistry degree book which I illegally took notes from in a bookshop .
It's called 'enolisation' - I told you!

Ben
MRLX69
Rep:
?
It's called 'enolisation' - I told you!

Ben
enolisation only occurs when there's the presence of a base or a catalyst. It's when the resonance structure reacts. But I don't believe my compound contain water...... better ask the teacher to make sure. Thank you Ben!
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
enolisation only occurs when there's the presence of a base or a catalyst. It's when the resonance structure reacts. But I don't believe my compound contain water...... better ask the teacher to make sure. Thank you Ben!
Enolisation takes place in acid or base, really!

Ben
MRLX69
Rep:
?
Enolisation takes place in acid or base, really!

Ben
Well, I'm a bit shakey now but I would believe so. I have both the "Base-catalysed mechanism for keto-enol tautomerism" and the "Acid-catalysed mechanism for keto-enol tautomerism" right in front of me.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (210)
38.67%
Take autumn exams (163)
30.02%
Look for a job (19)
3.5%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.05%
Take a year out (96)
17.68%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.08%

Watched Threads