The Student Room Group

AS Physics over the summer holidays

Hi,
I am currently in year 12 and studying maths, further maths, chemistry and computer science. I regret not taking physics because I think that it would be very useful for what I might want to do in the future, which is something to do with computer science or maths, as it links well with the two areas of study but also because it could open up more opportunities for me. I was wondering whether or not it would be possible to study the contents of as level physics over the summer and whether or not I would still have time for my other subjects and personal studying for my other subjects in preparation for my university applications for year 13. In terms of personal studying I mean things like coding in preparation for my programming project in year 13 and maybe admission tests preparation. Also I achieved a 9 in physics GCSE.
Thanks in advance for anyone who replies.
Original post by AshTmg
Hi,
I am currently in year 12 and studying maths, further maths, chemistry and computer science. I regret not taking physics because I think that it would be very useful for what I might want to do in the future, which is something to do with computer science or maths, as it links well with the two areas of study but also because it could open up more opportunities for me. I was wondering whether or not it would be possible to study the contents of as level physics over the summer and whether or not I would still have time for my other subjects and personal studying for my other subjects in preparation for my university applications for year 13. In terms of personal studying I mean things like coding in preparation for my programming project in year 13 and maybe admission tests preparation. Also I achieved a 9 in physics GCSE.
Thanks in advance for anyone who replies.

It sounds like you have sufficient academic ability to be able to do this, but the question is more one of whether you should. The summer holiday is there to give you a chance to rest and recharge after a busy year of school, not for you to wrap up the year just to immediately get stuck into another qualification. A far better use of your summer, in my opinion, would be to, yes, do some work to maintain your current level of study in your A-Levels, but to predominantly do things you enjoy with friends or earn a bit of money. If it’s vital to your future career path you can always take a gap year and spend some time doing A-Level Physics then, although with your grade profile from GCSE and your highly scientific/mathematical A-Level choices, I’m not entirely sure how much value it will add as you’ve already proved yourself to have high ability in the field.
Reply 2
Original post by Paddy2005
It sounds like you have sufficient academic ability to be able to do this, but the question is more one of whether you should. The summer holiday is there to give you a chance to rest and recharge after a busy year of school, not for you to wrap up the year just to immediately get stuck into another qualification. A far better use of your summer, in my opinion, would be to, yes, do some work to maintain your current level of study in your A-Levels, but to predominantly do things you enjoy with friends or earn a bit of money. If it’s vital to your future career path you can always take a gap year and spend some time doing A-Level Physics then, although with your grade profile from GCSE and your highly scientific/mathematical A-Level choices, I’m not entirely sure how much value it will add as you’ve already proved yourself to have high ability in the field.

That's true, I still have the option to take a gap year. Thank you for the response :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending