The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
katiesado
this isn't just aimed at howard other guys on here have postes similar comments...

why do men sit here and say they could never do it, it's boring etc but then they think women are more adept at it or would find it anymore exciting? here's a newsflash for males: women don't like being housewives, for most of them it's a sacrifice because they know it's in the best interest of their families. would men be jumping to do the same? i don't see very many. what's the deal with men thinking they're doing something noble by just holding down a job when it's the women giving up their independence and own interests for other people for little or no recognition or appreciation?

I don't suppose, nor did I say, that women must find it more exciting. I'm sure they don't ( I know it drives my wife around the bend looking after our kid and having mindless conversations with a nine year old)

However, the fact is that my earning potential is about five times that of my wife's and this hard economic reality makes deciding who gets to stay at home and who goes to work something of a no-brainer.
Reply 21
katiesado
this isn't just aimed at howard other guys on here have postes similar comments...

why do men sit here and say they could never do it, it's boring etc but then they think women are more adept at it or would find it anymore exciting? here's a newsflash for males: women don't like being housewives, for most of them it's a sacrifice because they know it's in the best interest of their families. would men be jumping to do the same? i don't see very many. what's the deal with men thinking they're doing something noble by just holding down a job when it's the women giving up their independence and own interests for other people for little or no recognition or appreciation?

Whoever said becoming a housewife or a mother was a chore? Surely the woman should stay at home because she will have a closer bond with the child, given she has had it on her hips for 9 months. Also, men can't give babies things such as breast milk, something which is vital for the nourishment of the child.
Reply 22
Mad Caddie
Whoever said becoming a housewife or a mother was a chore? Surely the woman should stay at home because she will have a closer bond with the child, given she has had it on her hips for 9 months. Also, men can't give babies things such as breast milk, something which is vital for the nourishment of the child.

Children are hard work, the first year is incrediably stressful and is no way easy. Plus breast milk can be expressed and bottled these days so the man can stay home if he earns less money.
Reply 23
frost105
Children are hard work, the first year is incrediably stressful and is no way easy. Plus breast milk can be expressed and bottled these days so the man can stay home if he earns less money.

Statistically, men earn more, and given the arrival of a new baby, the family will be under increased financial constraints, therefore, economically, it will make more sense for the man to go out to work.
Reply 24
Mad Caddie
Statistically, men earn more (5x more according to Howard), and given the arrival of a new baby, the family will be under increased financial constraints, therefore, economically, it will make more sense for the man to go out to work.

I didn't say men earn 5x more than women. I said I earn 5x more than my wife could. It's a personal statement, not a general statistic.
Reply 25
Mad Caddie
Statistically, men earn more, and given the arrival of a new baby, the family will be under increased financial constraints, therefore, economically, it will make more sense for the man to go out to work.

Yet not in all cases, more men are staying home with children than ever before.
Reply 26
frost105
Yet not in all cases, more men are staying home with children than ever before.

Yes through personal choice or through difference in financial income, as well as societies changing attitudes toward this, but I'm talking in general terms, not individual situations.
Reply 27
Mad Caddie
Yes through personal choice or through difference in financial income, as well as societies changing attitudes toward this, but I'm talking in general terms, not individual situations.

In general terms the situation is changing. Although it has to be said that the man competitors are stay home mum or working parents to stay home dad.
Reply 28
I was raised by babysitter for about the first 10 years of my life, so have no oppinon on which parent would preform best because both of mine refused to stay home.
Reply 29
Mad Caddie

Of course there are some benefits to staying home for a woman such as a closer relationship with her children. A man would have the same ability to bond with a child as a mother if he spent the same amount of time with it. Have you ever spent a long period of time taking care of a child? It's hard work. It's not a chore because a chore is eventually completed. Motherhood never stops. Statistically a woman who stays home and cares for children does the equivalent amount of work as working 2 full time jobs.
To say women don't enjoy motherhood is a bit misleading. Certainly my gf enjoyd being a mum, even though it has it's ups and downs.
Reply 31
ChemistBoy
To say women don't enjoy motherhood is a bit misleading. Certainly my gf enjoyd being a mum, even though it has it's ups and downs.

Is she no longer a mum?
Reply 32
canuck
I was raised by babysitter for about the first 10 years of my life, so have no oppinon on which parent would preform best because both of mine refused to stay home.

Do you know what struck me most when I visited Ontario? The towns became deserted after 8.30 am - adults were off to work, kids were off to school and babies were off the nurseries. Then, come 5.30 pm. the towns were inhabited again. It was all very spooky. :eek:
Reply 33
ChemistBoy

don't know if this was directed at me but i should clarify my position anyway. i don't mean that women don't like being mothers- on the contrary i think being a mother can be blissful and rewarding. i'd be dubious to any woman claiming she adores being a housewife though. there's a difference between being a housewife and a mother and a woman can still be a good mother without being a housewife in my opinion.
Reply 34
katiesado
don't know if this was directed at me but i should clarify my position anyway. i don't mean that women don't like being mothers- on the contrary i think being a mother can be blissful and rewarding. i'd be dubious to any woman claiming she adores being a housewife though. there's a difference between being a housewife and a mother and a woman can still be a good mother without being a housewife in my opinion.

Surely a woman can raise the child with the father whilst being at home for the first few years and then go back to work?
Reply 35
Mad Caddie
Surely a woman can raise the child with the father whilst being at home for the first few years and then go back to work?

of course she can but why can't he? f they have the same income give me one good reason why she should stay home and not him. also remember the invention of the best pump so the baby can still be breast fed.

men are just as capable of nurturing a child as a woman. what are your objections?

Latest