This discussion is closed.
rachplatt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I'm going to London for a school trip at the end of the month. We have free time in the evening and some of us were considering going to see a musical. What is your favourite? Why? etc etc
Kew
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oklahoma!!! The music for that is so, so catchy... great fun
ThunderCat8
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have so many favourites, including Miss Saigon, Les Miserables, Ragtime, Jerry Springer the Opera, Whistle Down the Wind, Blood Brothers, etc etc. I like them all for different reasons, but I like musicals to have proper powerful music and acting. Miss Saigon and Les Miserables certainly fit that bill. It depends what kind of musical you would like to see, fun and happy, or powerful and sad. What's your choice?
AngelofnoColour
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Phantom, Phantom, Phantom of the opera and Les miserables. Both a romantic thriller, my favs.
rachplatt
Rep:
?
I LOVED phantom...im tempted to go and see it again. Personally I'd prefer a moving atmospheric one to a happy smiley one, so I guess les mis is the obvious choice, but I'm not sure whether it'd be a bit heavy going, especially for some friends who arent as into musicals. what do you think?
Acaila
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Les Miserables definitely!
It's not as heavy going as you might think - there are some absolutely hilarious bits, and you honestly don't come out feeling mega depressed

It was the first musical I ever saw, completely against my will. I think I asked my mum to leave me in a cafe outside for a few hours, and when I wasn't allowed that, I asked if I could take my discman in with me. Wow I am so glad I wasn't allowed that! Les Mis is truly truly brilliant!
AngelofnoColour
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeh Blood brothers is funny. Miss Saigon is good too.
rachplatt
Rep:
?
I've seen Blood Brothers, phantom, fame, oh what a night, sat night fever and joseph at the theatre in liverpool. So I don't really want to see them again. Starlight express is coming around soon so there's no point in seeing that either. Les Mis is the best option then?
James.R
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm currently working as a musical director for an amateur production of fame and have in past stage managed for an amateur production of les mis, both are good musicals and a lot of fun in my opinion
rachplatt
Rep:
?
Okay thanks...I think im sold on les mis! Also I'm planning on seeing Miss Saigon in march-whats that like?
Sparkey
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Grease and Cats Because They are both really cool.
James.R
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by rachplatt)
Okay thanks...I think im sold on les mis! Also I'm planning on seeing Miss Saigon in march-whats that like?
It's written by the same people as Les Mis, I've heard some of it and i thought it sounded good and worth seeing - I was going to go and see it a couple of months back but never got round to it
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm going to London for a school trip at the end of the month. We have free time in the evening and some of us were considering going to see a musical. What is your favourite? Why? etc etc
Oooh I just came back from Guys&Dolls and it was alright. Might be seeing Chicago next week. My fave has *got* to be Fame - I've seen it 3 times sooo coool!!
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I didn't like Les Mis I don't seem to like many musicals, but there are some, so here we go...

Chess (maybe? I've never seen it but we play the music at band and it's pretty good!), Miss Saigon , Phantom was alright

You probably shouldn't pay too much attention to me, I don't know a lot about musicals!
lskdgjsj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Les Mis, Assassins, Sweeney Todd, West Side Story, Avenue Q, Chicago, Cabaret, A Little Night Music, Company.

Sondheim is a god.
eurasianfeline
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Miss Saigon...but don't think it's back on West End yet.

you HAVE to go see either Les Miserables (which has Joanna Ampil as Fantine!!!!!) and Phantom. They're simply the best!! (after Miss Saigon of course haha)

i'm a musical fanatic.
eurasianfeline
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by [email protected])
Oooh I just came back from Guys&Dolls and it was alright. Might be seeing Chicago next week. My fave has *got* to be Fame - I've seen it 3 times sooo coool!!
I was in the HK Regional production of Guys and Dolls last April...man i miss those days in City Hall!!
Hoofbeat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BlueAngel)
Phantom, Phantom, Phantom of the opera and Les miserables. Both a romantic thriller, my favs.
I AGREE PHANTOM IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other good one's include:

Woman in White (brand new. due to star Michael Crawford who is amazing but due to Illness I believe Michael Ball-equally amazing-is taking over)
Les Mis (current Enjorlas use to play Raoul in POTO and is very gd)
Blood Brothers
Lion King (more pantomine than stirring drama)
Chicago
Sat Night Fever (this still around?!)

Unfortunately loads of my faves have now finished But starlight express is doing a tour soon and is coming to Oxford! WAHAY
Hoofbeat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I LOVED phantom...im tempted to go and see it again. Personally I'd prefer a moving atmospheric one to a happy smiley one, so I guess les mis is the obvious choice, but I'm not sure whether it'd be a bit heavy going, especially for some friends who arent as into musicals. what do you think?
Woman in White definitely. Brand new musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber and I would say the ONLY equal to Phantom. Amazing cast, stunning music, moving atmosphere, fantastic set...quite simply the best (except POTO but I'm a huge fan and have seen it 5times! hehe).
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmph. Nobody else mentioned Chess yet. xP
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads