The Student Room Group

Surrey vs Warwick for Literature

Hiii everyone I really need your advice!! (:

I am an English Literature student and I have to decide my firm and insurance choice by 8th June... should i choose

1.Birmingham (AAB) and Surrey (BBB)
or
2. Warwick (A*AB) and Birmingham

PS. tho my predicted grade for Lit is A, my school used only 8 mths to teach the whole 2-year-A-level session soooo I don't have much confidence.

Thank you so so muchhhhhh
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Natashum
Hiii everyone I really need your advice!! (:

I am an English Literature student and I have to decide my firm and insurance choice by 8th June... should i choose

1.Birmingham (AAB) and Surrey (BBB)
or
2. Warwick (A*AB) and Birmingham

PS. tho my predicted grade for Lit is A, my school used only 8 mths to teach the whole 2-year-A-level session soooo I don't have much confidence.

Thank you so so muchhhhhh

Your offers are all based upon three grades, yet you've only told us your predicted grade in one subject.

What are your predicted grades for the other subjects? Do you have any reason to suspect that those predictions may be inaccurate?

Do any of those offers specify that you need to get a particular grade in a particular subject?
Which course/city do you like the most?
Reply 3
I have already got an A* and the predicted grade for English Literature and Economics are both A, but I am pretty sure that the grade for my English Literature is not accurate as I didn't have much time to prepare and the past two papers were disastrous.
Original post by DataVenia
Your offers are all based upon three grades, yet you've only told us your predicted grade in one subject.

What are your predicted grades for the other subjects? Do you have any reason to suspect that those predictions may be inaccurate?

Do any of those offers specify that you need to get a particular grade in a particular subject?
Reply 4
Original post by totallyfine
Which course/city do you like the most

Tbh London cuz I am a bit more like a city girl sooo
I have already got an A* and the predicted grade for English Literature and Economics are both A, but I am pretty sure that the grade for my English Literature is not accurate as I didn't have much time to prepare and the past two papers were disastrous.

OK, so your achieved grades will be A*AA if your school's predictions are accurate, but might be A*AB in reality. That would mean that you'd meet every offer, which you said were:

Warwick (A*AB)
Birmingham (AAB)
Surrey (BBB)

So, going by grades alone (which is always a bad idea), you should firm Warwick (A*AB) and insure Birmingham (AAB). However, the risk here is that if you drop two grades below your predictions (say, A*BB or A*AC) then you've missed the Warwick and Birmingham grade requirements. Either might still confirm your place anyway (as a "near miss" candidate) - it depends on how many places they have left once they've confirmed the place of all offer-holders who met their grade requirements. That could leave you in Clearing.

You could mitigate this risk by firming Warwick (A*AB) and insuring Surrey (BBB) - but you didn't list this combination as an option. It comes down to your appetite for risk, really.

As I mentioned earlier, you shouldn't be making this decision solely based upon grades. You've mentioned above that you're "a city girl", so perhaps you wouldn't enjoy life at Warwick anyway? (I assume you've been to an open day, and are therefore aware that it's probably the most un-city university you could imagine). So perhaps Birmingham (AAB) and Surrey (BBB) would make more sense?
Birmingham is the most 'city' in your list. So that is important to consider.

Which has the most interesting modules?
Reply 7
Original post by DataVenia
OK, so your achieved grades will be A*AA if your school's predictions are accurate, but might be A*AB in reality. That would mean that you'd meet every offer, which you said were:

Warwick (A*AB)
Birmingham (AAB)
Surrey (BBB)

So, going by grades alone (which is always a bad idea), you should firm Warwick (A*AB) and insure Birmingham (AAB). However, the risk here is that if you drop two grades below your predictions (say, A*BB or A*AC) then you've missed the Warwick and Birmingham grade requirements. Either might still confirm your place anyway (as a "near miss" candidate) - it depends on how many places they have left once they've confirmed the place of all offer-holders who met their grade requirements. That could leave you in Clearing.

You could mitigate this risk by firming Warwick (A*AB) and insuring Surrey (BBB) - but you didn't list this combination as an option. It comes down to your appetite for risk, really.

As I mentioned earlier, you shouldn't be making this decision solely based upon grades. You've mentioned above that you're "a city girl", so perhaps you wouldn't enjoy life at Warwick anyway? (I assume you've been to an open day, and are therefore aware that it's probably the most un-city university you could imagine). So perhaps Birmingham (AAB) and Surrey (BBB) would make more sense?

Thank you so so much for your advice!!!! It really helps!!! I guess I know what my heart wants now, guess Birmingham and Surrey are the best choices I have now!! Maybe postgrad in Warwick XDXD thank you XOXO
Thank you so so much for your advice!!!! It really helps!!! I guess I know what my heart wants now, guess Birmingham and Surrey are the best choices I have now!! Maybe postgrad in Warwick XDXD thank you XOXO

You're welcome. I'm glad things are clearer for you now. :smile:

Quick Reply