The Student Room Group

Care worker serving pork

SUBHANALLAH I’m Muslim. Alhamdulilah I’m a Muslim. My company has put me under temporary suspension due to my refusal to serve pork to a client

So a for bit of context, I’m a Domcilary Care worker so I travel to multiple elderly people and take care of them. And I’m diligent. I actually do my best to ensure their comfort and that they’re in a good mood when I’m out the door.

So recently I was asked to serve pork and naturally I refused. It is against my religion to help serve alcohol or Haraam (prohibited) foods to clients. This led to the clients family making a complaint against me and I’m now on unpaid leave.

What are your thoughts on this.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It’s funny how non Muslims will chuck their parents into a care home when they’ve taken care of them all their lives and then have the nerve to criticise others
Sounds an obvious result tbh, it's not your place to impose these beliefs on those in your care. Did you honestly think the family would accept this going forward?
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
Sounds an obvious result tbh, it's not your place to impose these beliefs on those in your care. Did you honestly think the family would accept this going forward?

Yes because it’s common courtesy to be considerate toward others and their having the right to follow their respective faith. As for obvious result, I picked this job to help people. As I understand that they have needs that aren’t being taken care of by their relatives. I literally clean them after they use the toilet and help them bathe. Do you realise what it is that you’re saying? A insignificant change in diet wouldn’t be so hard. They could literally supplement it for whatever. And I’d have been fine. But I have the right to practice my religion.
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort

Unlike you godless people who have no actual care about God. And if you’re Christian then you’re not even meant to be eating pork
Original post by Anonymous
Unlike you godless people who have no actual care about God. And if you’re Christian then you’re not even meant to be eating pork

You realise it's obvious both replies come from the same person right? I just assume you are looking for a reaction.
Reply 6
Yes because it’s common courtesy to be considerate toward others and their having the right to follow their respective faith. As for obvious result, I picked this job to help people. As I understand that they have needs that aren’t being taken care of by their relatives. I literally clean them after they use the toilet and help them bathe. Do you realise what it is that you’re saying? A insignificant change in diet wouldn’t be so hard. They could literally supplement it for whatever. And I’d have been fine. But I have the right to practice my religion.

you have the right to practice your religion yes, and the place of work should’ve picked someone else to serve pork in this case but you also shouldn’t be withholding food from people who don’t hold the same beliefs as you
Reply 7

That's quite a big assumption to be making... You are not the only religious person on this forum.
Reply 8

Christians can eat pork. No non-Jewish Christian stopped eating pork because of coming to Christ, this was a debate in the first century within the Church Fathers and they resolutely condemned the idea that the Jewish covenant must be observed by gentile converts in order to merit the full graces of Christ.

As for your story, it depends. I find it hard to believe you were suspended simply for politely declining to serve pork, doing so would be discrimination under Section 10 of the Equality Act of 2010 (assuming you're not their personal carer employed by them).
Reply 9
Original post by DutchNelson
Christians can eat pork. No non-Jewish Christian stopped eating pork because of coming to Christ, this was a debate in the first century within the Church Fathers and they resolutely condemned the idea that the Jewish covenant must be observed by gentile converts in order to merit the full graces of Christ.

As for your story, it depends. I find it hard to believe you were suspended simply for politely declining to serve pork, doing so would be discrimination under Section 10 of the Equality Act of 2010 (assuming you're not their personal carer employed by them).

I’m always polite! I wasn’t told the reason, just that my case is under review and they’ll be in contact with me at some point. And companies aren’t known to be law abiding, which is why they spend so much on lawyers. And we have unions. Do you remember how the train stikes were rendered useless due tfl wanting to hire to replace them during the strikes
Reply 10

Why don’t you actually read about your religion. It’s not a club to pick and choose what suits you lol

Quick google search might have helped

In Leviticus 11:27, God forbids Moses and his followers to eat swine “because it parts the hoof but does not chew the cud.” Furthermore, the prohibition goes, “Of their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall not touch; they are unclean to you.” That message is later reinforced in Deuteronomy.
I’m always polite! I wasn’t told the reason, just that my case is under review and they’ll be in contact with me at some point. And companies aren’t known to be law abiding, which is why they spend so much on lawyers. And we have unions. Do you remember how the train stikes were rendered useless due tfl wanting to hire to replace them during the strikes

Striking exists primarily as a collective bargaining tool for higher wages, as opposed to being primarily legal interest groups.
Companies, by and large, do indeed follow the law. They might be the rare exception to the law, and you may truly have a discrimination case, I wasn't there after all. I'm simply saying that large companies aren't usually stupid enough to be in breach of such major legislation as the Equality Act 2010, especially in the modern climate.
Reply 12
Striking exists primarily as a collective bargaining tool for higher wages, as opposed to being primarily legal interest groups.
Companies, by and large, do indeed follow the law. They might be the rare exception to the law, and you may truly have a discrimination case, I wasn't there after all. I'm simply saying that large companies aren't usually stupid enough to be in breach of such major legislation as the Equality Act 2010, especially in the modern climate.

Is this the same law that allows us to become a tax haven? The same one that essentially caused these kinds of house prices?
Why don’t you actually read about your religion. It’s not a club to pick and choose what suits you lol

Quick google search might have helped

In Leviticus 11:27, God forbids Moses and his followers to eat swine “because it parts the hoof but does not chew the cud.” Furthermore, the prohibition goes, “Of their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall not touch; they are unclean to you.” That message is later reinforced in Deuteronomy.

"I’m always polite!" - You, thirty seconds before posting this.

I advise you, my fine argumentative friend, to read a little more into things than a quick Google search resulting in the Old Testament's Kashrut laws. As I said in my post, which you evidently didn't read, the Church Fathers (see Sts. Jerome, Athanasius, Augustine, Paul, et al) wrote resolutely that the covenant of the Old Testament was fulfilled in the Word made flesh, Jesus Christ. They, further, resolved the Early Church debate in saying that it was not necessary for Gentile converts to Christianity to be circumcised according to the Old Testament covenant or to follow the Kashrut laws.

If you're interested, feel free read Chapter 15 of the Acts of the Apostles, which is a Biblical ruling on the matter.
Reply 14
Is this the same law that allows us to become a tax haven? The same one that essentially caused these kinds of house prices?

They’ve yet to elaborate on the reason I’ve been temporarily suspended, without pay. On top of that I work 6 days a week, just to afford a barely comfortable standard of living. They are a business and customers are top priority to them. And they take what they can get and more, generally speaking

I'm not sure what house prices have to do with the Equality Act 2010.
Tax havens, which we certainly are not, are so because of legal allowances or legislated low tax rates. It isn't a result of companies just throwing away their tax bills and hoping for the Government to be completely inept.
House price rises are a result of slowed construction, increased inflation, and increase interest rates: there isn't anything sinister in terms of companies breaking any laws.
They’ve yet to elaborate on the reason I’ve been temporarily suspended, without pay. On top of that I work 6 days a week, just to afford a barely comfortable standard of living. They are a business and customers are top priority to them. And they take what they can get and more, generally speaking

If I'm not wrong, you have a right to know at least a small amount of detail as to why you've been suspended. Pressure them. Ask them why. Seeing the way you like discussing things, I'm not inclined to believe you when you said that you're "always polite" and so it could well have something to do with that.
Either way, ask them why you've been suspended and go from there.
Reply 17
"I’m always polite!" - You, thirty seconds before posting this.

I advise you, my fine argumentative friend, to read a little more into things than a quick Google search resulting in the Old Testament's Kashrut laws. As I said in my post, which you evidently didn't read, the Church Fathers (see Sts. Jerome, Athanasius, Augustine, Paul, et al) wrote resolutely that the covenant of the Old Testament was fulfilled in the Word made flesh, Jesus Christ. They, further, resolved the Early Church debate in saying that it was not necessary for Gentile converts to Christianity to be circumcised according to the Old Testament covenant or to follow the Kashrut laws.

If you're interested, feel free read Chapter 15 of the Acts of the Apostles, which is a Biblical ruling on the matter.

If you hold Moses in regard as a true Prophet, and see that there is a passage that does indeed state that it’s forbidden, despite the disagreements, then surely it’s logical to conclude that it’s prohibited. If the Jews before you, The Muslims after you, and the Some of your fellow followers of Christianity all come to the same conclusion. It’s a clear pattern and doesn’t seem like such an outrageous jump to conclusions?
3 Abrahamic Faiths, yet some are one of the faiths have no clear consensus on what is made allowed for them.
Reply 18
If I'm not wrong, you have a right to know at least a small amount of detail as to why you've been suspended. Pressure them. Ask them why. Seeing the way you like discussing things, I'm not inclined to believe you when you said that you're "always polite" and so it could well have something to do with that.
Either way, ask them why you've been suspended and go from there.

I always conduct myself in a professional manner whilst at work. I have been sending emails, and they have yet to give any response
Reply 19
I'm not sure what house prices have to do with the Equality Act 2010.
Tax havens, which we certainly are not, are so because of legal allowances or legislated low tax rates. It isn't a result of companies just throwing away their tax bills and hoping for the Government to be completely inept.
House price rises are a result of slowed construction, increased inflation, and increase interest rates: there isn't anything sinister in terms of companies breaking any laws.

Ok, we’re not a tax haven. Why would we be? We’re a democracy right? By the people. Of the people. For the People. Right?!

Latest

Trending

Trending