The Student Room Group

Girls, why doesn't there seem to be interest in marriage & kids these days?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
With what? A 'here's my a r s e world' kind of statement. I mean you can literally see the woman's a r s e whether you wanted to or not. Go down the beach and it's literally their bare bums out for viewing. I'm not really prudish so I am happy to view but if their was anyone a bit more uptight they literally would have a bare bum in their face.

Surely they could look good in fully covered loose fitting garments if they are not doing it to look good to men. It's kind of a strange statement as they are surely not going to to do it for themselves, to turn themselves on???

nah if you look good you feel good - im sure you have felt the same. most of the time they arent doing it for men lol you said yourself they dont have interest in men. if they wanna show off their gym achievements to feel good then they can
That's what I mean but women seem to be looking for what you highlight at the workplace as an antidote to a life outside of work - i.e dating & having family.

not gonna lie i have no clue where you are getting these statistics from
That's the problem, women are seeing that but not recognising that it's not really like that. You leave or resign from a company and five minutes after you've left they've forgotten who you are lol. Men know this as they're is the tradition of working in the work place and stories get passed on. All the PR stuff in the company's booklet or website about them caring etc is mostly bs. I don't go out looking for companies that might treat me 'really well' as I know having a life is not going to be found there.

In the US I think the figure is around 75 percent of people don't like their work. I just don't see the workplace as being the solution to society's growing issues.

I can't see that staying single will end in a good place. Generally it's going to lead to loniness, isolation and having no one caring about you or vice versa. I'm pretty sure we're on a self destructive path here and it's not going to be a pretty sight.

It is like that but only if you do work that you enjoy and work in a good team. Maybe you're going for bad companies that don't care about their employees in which case you should be going for better companies. This is not exclusive to women. If you find a good company that provides a lot of support and if you find a career path that suits you it is definitely possible not to be miserable and enjoy your work. Maybe the fact that you're going for companies that don't treat you well is exactly the problem because the truth is that there are such good companies out there. You just need to know where to look.

And also, women do care about men, however the women you have described only go for the rich 6 foot alphas that drive ferraris and are possibly golddiggers and not worth your time. However, there are some women that are more family oriented and down to earth. They are easy to identify, so you should be trying to talk to those ones and not the white goldiggers and girls that are looking for a nice six pack, f**kboy haircut, money etc..
This thread is basically just men deliberating over what "women" are really like and shaming them for acting the way they do just because the men are struggling to find a relationship.
With what? A 'here's my a r s e world' kind of statement. I mean you can literally see the woman's a r s e whether you wanted to or not. Go down the beach and it's literally their bare bums out for viewing. I'm not really prudish so I am happy to view but if their was anyone a bit more uptight they literally would have a bare bum in their face.

Surely they could look good in fully covered loose fitting garments if they are not doing it to look good to men. It's kind of a strange statement as they are surely not going to to do it for themselves, to turn themselves on???

So, the only purpose of swimwear for women is to look good for men, and if they aren't doing it to look good for men, they must wear modest clothing that covers them from head to toe because there is absolutely no reason why women would want to wear swimwear other than to turn men on. There's no way they do it so they can feel good about themselves, get a tan or actually get into the water.
Original post by SagaciousSag
This thread is basically just men deliberating over what "women" are really like and shaming them for acting the way they do just because the men are struggling to find a relationship.

I completely agree with you. I'm procrastinating revising right now but this thread has made me SOOOOO enraged. (This next part isn't addressed to you, but to the "men")

What women do with their bodies is none of your guys' opinions. Unless a woman outright comes up to you, asks you "oh do you think I look attractive today?" She's not doing it for you. She's doing it for her.

You claim that you can't be happy being single, which is completely false. Some jobs are the corporate nightmare you described. But you can find a place of work that makes you happy. You can make friends, have family, enjoy a life without a relationship. Without the financial burden it brings.

Something none of you so-called "men" have acknowledged is the fact that women do not need a male counterpart to be happy. Some are gay, some are aromantic. We don't need you, sorry to burst your lil bubble xxx.

It's becoming clearer and clearer that your opinion is women SHOULD be in a relationship. That's their duty, their moral obligation. It's in every aspect of their being, hence why you sexualise what they wear. Why the hell are you looking at a woman's arse for long enough that you can make out her underwear? Why were you looking in the first place.

Stop trying to control women. This entire thread was created so that you could spew your sexist manifesto, not so that you could genuinely understand why women don't want to get married. Don't want kids.
So, the only purpose of swimwear for women is to look good for men, and if they aren't doing it to look good for men, they must wear modest clothing that covers them from head to toe because there is absolutely no reason why women would want to wear swimwear other than to turn men on. There's no way they do it so they can feel good about themselves, get a tan or actually get into the water.

They're hardly wearing anything at all! What's all this 'feel good about yourself' its just perculiar it's just so self centred, do thoughts travel no further than oneself?

What if sone guy thought a girl was easy because she was showing her bare bum off on the beach so it attracted him to go have a good old grope? Men are easily turned on and it's going to be like an advertisement to go have a good squeeze to many guys. Yes I can imagine the running off to the Police to complain of the injustice of it all.

It's all kind of weird it's like being on an island of women that act to turn men on but aren't interested in men. How are men supposed to get on with that kind of strangeness. Probably best moving abroad to more sane lands I guess.
Just when I thought life couldn't get any worse :frown:

I just think we're heading for a train wreak here. Most men being innocent victims while women are mistakenly thinking they can have it all and it's gonna work out. It's kind of unsettling to see it all unfolding while many women seem oblivious to it all.

I don't see there being any winners in all of this, I think both women and a lot of men who had nothing to do with it being brought about will end up in a very sad place in their lives.

To say men are innocent victims here whilst women thiking they can have it all is completely ridiculous. If you keep thinking like women are the problem, you are devaluing women and you will end up lonely yourself.
If you really want marriage and kids, personally just for you, regardless what other people in society are doing, then there are people out there that share the same values as you do. Not everyone wants to stay single. Just be happy that people have their own personal choice and doing what makes them feel happy. If they are happy, then they are winners.
U say all this waffle but the reason ur sexualised is cos u have all these women nowadays on OF and u feminists cheer each other on. U do realise that if loads of women go on OF which is effectively objectifying themselves u then can’t turn around and say why do men sexualise us
Funniest part of this all is that these career women then get annoyed when they can’t find a man and the feminists complain about being sexualised whilst simultaneously saying ur body ur choice and cheering them on
Are relationships/marriages really pushed and promoted in mainstream media and/or popular culture ? We see things like Love Island on TV were basically promiscuity is promoted and encouraged. We see more and more songs promoting being single and less love songs. Soap operas seem to have affairs featured on them to the point were it's normalised and almost expected now.
Funniest part of this all is that these career women then get annoyed when they can’t find a man and the feminists complain about being sexualised whilst simultaneously saying ur body ur choice and cheering them on

Funniest part of this all is that these career women then get annoyed when they can’t find a man . Thats a generalised assumption. A lot of career women are very happy doing what they are doing and love the highlife and feel far more fulfilled doing what they love, rather than being tied down by a man and kids and face giving all that up. Theres plenty of people that are career driven and also have a partner. And some career women also have the marriage kids and the good job.
Original post by oglez92
Are relationships/marriages really pushed and promoted in mainstream media and/or popular culture ? We see things like Love Island on TV were basically promiscuity is promoted and encouraged. We see more and more songs promoting being single and less love songs. Soap operas seem to have affairs featured on them to the point were it's normalised and almost expected now.

Exactly, where is all that going to lead? Sure a bit of drama can be fun but it's going to end in misery. That's what happens when we say goodbye to long term meaningful relationships and hello to trying to pick & choose and wanting it all your own way.

This island is truly screwed and the men that played no part in all this shouldn't become the victims of it. From around 16 if not sooner most UK men should pick up a non western foreign language of a country where they could actually have a life.
at least in my experience
- many marriages in my family including my parents have failed
- cost of living - getting married and/or having children on low salary and sky high rent/bills is financially impossible
- impending sense of doom with climate change and AI and what have you, leads me to question whether i really want to bring a child into the world
- also what exactly are the benefits of marriage?
(edited 1 year ago)

bruh thats what im saying. this mindset certain man have is ********
And there we have it guys the females of Britain have deserted the men. So if your a single dateless guy that's why. Any young guys better off giving up hope here and learn a foreign language and move abroad out if Western society. Most British men should do this, pretty much those not in the top 10 percent or so who are always getting the girls. Otherwise only a sad, pointless life with a depressing end awaits.

bruh you are pathetic. i think you should look at yourself before blaming the women of today regarding being single lol
It's all kind of weird it's like being on an island of women that act to turn men on but aren't interested in men. How are men supposed to get on with that kind of strangeness.

Broski, as a man, I'm asking you to get a grip. Where the **** are women acting to turn on men? Bruh just let them live. Its so rich of you to assume theyre doing it for you LOL. take a long look at yourself and switch your mindset. none of these girls give a **** about you
Reply 37
Because they don't want to touch guys with a 2 metre pole when half of them are like you
Reply 38
Original post by Ghostlady
Funniest part of this all is that these career women then get annoyed when they can’t find a man . Thats a generalised assumption. A lot of career women are very happy doing what they are doing and love the highlife and feel far more fulfilled doing what they love, rather than being tied down by a man and kids and face giving all that up. Theres plenty of people that are career driven and also have a partner. And some career women also have the marriage kids and the good job.

In some respects women have shot themselves in the foot, but in general the fact that they can an do often hold down careers has got to be a good thing. In the 1950´s, 60’s and 70’s, women were supposed to marry young, keep house and bring up a family which was fine ( not really but…) when the husband had a reasonable job and didn’t play around. Unfortunately not all husbands held up their end of the bargain but the wife was trapped and couldn’t even complain about an unfaithful husband having no financial independence so they couldn’t divorce or leave, they were stuck!
So women were encouraged to be independent, to earn their own money, have careers. and today this normalisation of a two job household means that unless you are in a very high paying profession one salary is not sufficient to run a home and family in the south of England at least.
I will also make a distinction between the women who work and have satisfying careers and those that do jobs out of necessity. Ask the latter if they’d rather be at home with their children and I’m sure that the majority would say yes, or prefer at least a part time job which provides an interest and social interaction outside of the home.( And even this I’m not sure of. There’s nothing worse than being stuck somewhere with no money and unable to do anything with your spare time . I’d rather go to work!) But the former category have gone to university, have worked hard and achieved qualifications and are just as capable of holding down a satisfying career as their male counterparts. They don’t want to live the lives of their mothers or grandmothers. They don’t want to be trapped in a relationship where the husband holds all the cards, and why should they? You only have to look at the comments on TSR threads where guys say that if they divorce they’ll give zero to their ex to understand why women don’t want to have to count on men.
Why should they turn down the opportunity of having a career, spend twenty years bringing up a family, only to find that when the kids leave the nest the husband disappears as well.
I would tell any young girl today to get as many good qualifications as they can and never depend on a man for happiness. That doesn’t mean don’t marry or have a family, but just be certain that if things go wrong you will be able to cope alone.
(edited 1 year ago)
Falling wages, rising living costs, difficult housing markets in many areas, uncertain futures due to geopolitical and socioeconomic factors not to mention the climate crisis? Lots of reasons not to have kids...or at least be less certain about that...

Quick Reply