This discussion is closed.
e-n-i-g-m-a
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
IS it possible to get an electric shock when touching the knob of a door in a high-altitude flying aeroplane..
cosmik_debris
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not while it's in the air.
e-n-i-g-m-a
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
But i think it is possible because electric charges tend to accumulate on an aircraft during flight...i read this in book but dont know why this happens is it because of the frcition due to air?
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
perhaps the firction between the plane and the air can cause a transfer of electrons onto or from the plane to the air. this is not transferred to you until you touch a conductor (you have carpets, rubber shoes and things insulating you) like a metal door knob.

friction can lead to transfers of charge like static electricity when you rub a balloon on your hair - two insulators. perhaps this happens also with the air nad the paint on the plane (both electrical insulators)

Im not that great at electricity but that seems like quite a convincing argument.
BCHL85
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If it relates to magnetic field of the Earth ... the aeroplane when moving in magnetic field will have a p.d across it due to Faraday's law, so when you touch it, there is a current through you. That's what I think
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (116)
25.89%
Better than expected (92)
20.54%
Worse than expected (240)
53.57%

Watched Threads