This discussion is closed.
Angel_Cake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I started this year at uni with such good intentions - I've always been a reasonably hard-worker, the kind of person who would go through a year of school with only a couple of absences. But by the end of last term, I found I was skiving off half my lectures and seminars just because I couldn't be bothered to go and in the same thing is starting to happen this term now too.

It doesn't help that I hate my course and I'm finding it really hard, but then to be honest, me not attending any of the classes is hardly helping to make things easier! The reading is just impossible, and far from keeping my head above water, I feel I'm so far under there's no point even trying to swim these days! My parents are, of course, blissfully unaware of all of this and think I'm getting on fine...

I've considered going to my tutor, but I don't want to drop out of uni and, although there are some courses I'd prefer I don't want to switch because I think my current course is far more useful. I also don't want to re-start the year. I know I'm just being lazy really - what can I do to get myself out of this vicious circle? I find the work impossible so I don't go to the classes, then I find the work even harder because I never went to the class on it...Anyone else the same, or have any advice?
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Angel_Cake)
I started this year at uni with such good intentions - I've always been a reasonably hard-worker, the kind of person who would go through a year of school with only a couple of absences. But by the end of last term, I found I was skiving off half my lectures and seminars just because I couldn't be bothered to go and in the same thing is starting to happen this term now too.

It doesn't help that I hate my course and I'm finding it really hard, but then to be honest, me not attending any of the classes is hardly helping to make things easier! The reading is just impossible, and far from keeping my head above water, I feel I'm so far under there's no point even trying to swim these days! My parents are, of course, blissfully unaware of all of this and think I'm getting on fine...

I've considered going to my tutor, but I don't want to drop out of uni and, although there are some courses I'd prefer I don't want to switch because I think my current course is far more useful. I also don't want to re-start the year. I know I'm just being lazy really - what can I do to get myself out of this vicious circle? I find the work impossible so I don't go to the classes, then I find the work even harder because I never went to the class on it...Anyone else the same, or have any advice?

Well you've done the first thing, by recognising there is a problem and knowing you need to something about it. I don't think you'll know all of the options avaliable to you until you talk to someone who is in a position to know i.e. your tutor. It is in their best interests to support you and let you know what options are avaliable to you. Maybe there is something you haven't thought of. Also, there's no point doing a degree you don't enjoy because it is "useful". Chances are you won't fulfill your potential if you do a degree you don't really have your heart in it.

Talk to someone

Good luck!
white_haired_wizard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I can relate a little - my course is ok but very broad - not as specific as some course....i was considering quitting...but this was largely down to having a very off term and personal problems....this term is better...im in my 2nd yr and at the end of the day "a degree is a degree" - it does help having one but as many prove and will continue to do so....a degree is not everything!

Im sticking to my degree and hoping to get a high 2:1, im currently on a mid 2:1, obviously try my best to get a first but its unlikely that will happen.

If you have too few hours - catch 22 situation! (i should know! i only have 6 hrs per week on a sociology course)....obviously with independent reading on top.

How far into the course are you? Im in the middle of my second yr, and thought i will be able to hang in there and kill off the remaining 18 months - im frankly sick of education....

Good luck, hang in there but change things outside of education maybe? Voluntary work...you here all about it - it isnt just the degree these days that employers look at!
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you hate the course, you could change it.
Font
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think i'm the laziest person here - i don't do anything!!!!!! Eat, Sleep, and watch TV. I just cant get myself down to work - studying is boring, so to is geog, and A-levels are boring :rolleyes: can't wait till university - should be really fun

GCSE's i worked quite hard,

less work for AS's and am currently doing nothing for my A2's

phil,

Any phychologists in here? Need some therapy
The Messiah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i cant work either,, dont know why,,, i just have so much free time but still do no work
khil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Phil23)
i think i'm the laziest person here - i don't do anything!!!!!! Eat, Sleep, and watch TV. I just cant get myself down to work - studying is boring, so to is geog, and A-levels are boring :rolleyes: can't wait till university - should be really fun

GCSE's i worked quite hard,

less work for AS's and am currently doing nothing for my A2's

phil,

Any phychologists in here? Need some therapy
Hey join the club - except I did no work for GCSEs, no work (except for 2 weeks) for AS and am currently doing nothing for A2s... Chem coursework is due the coming wednesday and I'm not even half way through it and it's 30% of my A2 alone I have no idea why I'm not panicking yet... maybe I really don't care.

I'm beginning to dread university too cus the course I might put down as my first choice - most likely first choice - is so intensive and got so much practical work in it and I don't like practicals... and intensive science for the next 4 years sounds dreadful.... but that's what I'd got myself in for... I need a break in between the science, alongside it, art or a language or something...

Life's just a mess. Generally sad - nothing's right.
Create
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Do you know much about the contents of next years syllabus? Is that likely to be any more interesting/appealing? If it is, then possibly stick it out - I've a friend who really did not get on well in her first year because she hated the course - however, the second year content had much more scope and she's enjoying it a lot more.

Another thing is - are you doing much to join in with Uni life outside your course? Joined many socs or anything? I've found that if you're really integrated into Uni life - you'll find it easier to go to lectures and stuff because you've got everything else to look forward to.

However, if you really really do hate it - and can't see yourself liking next year, then definitely do something about it, otherwise it'll spiral out of control. Regardless of what you decide, I think it's important to speak with your tutor, as s/he might be able to suggest some other ideas, but it'll also bring it to his attention and he'll see that you're wanting to do something about it. Tutors are far more likely to help if they see you making an effort to change too.

Hope that helps - lots of luck xx
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I kind of went through a phase like the original poster did towards the end of last term. After quite a promising start to the year, I was beginning to get lazy - not going to lecutres, beginning to miss the odd seminar, telling myself I was gonna do some work but not doing it, etc. I was even finding some element of the course boring

However, when I came back from Christmas, I really got into the work. I completely altered the methods I used to work. I structured my hours better (made a timetable and everythin ). The result of this was that I was doing a lot more work, but it felt less tedious and my mind was able to concentrate for longer periods of time. And, I find, the further you go beyond the standard reading set to cover the basics, the more interesting you begin to find your subject. I'm now finding modules interesting which I hated last term.

The only advice I can give is have a long hard look at the way you are working. Is it completely unstructured? Do you know what you're going to be doing from one day to the next? If so, the lack of confidence that arises out of such an approach can reflect in panicking and feeling that you're not going anywhere on your course. This inevitably leads you to lose interest in your subject, and thus the lifestyle which you outlined in your post.
khil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not at uni yet - but thanx for trying to help anyways. And no there's no structure to my day-to-day life but then again I never stick to timetables anyway. I like doing things all in one go... which is a problem cus that means I leave everything to the last minute and also means I get one burst of energy but then afterwards everything dies down and I never get back the initiative to work on the same piece of work again - cus I'd pushed too hard that first time

And well I dunno what the course is gonna be like, Neuroscience at Nottingham - I just looked at the modules online and they all sound so intensive and advanced and basically I only liked a few modules out of the 4 years worth of work I looked at... and those modules are in the 4th year as well.

Although I'm gonna see if it isn't too late to apply to Art Foundation at college - and assuming it isn't too late I'd probably get an offer - and then I'll see which one I go for - if I go for Art I'd have to reject my 5 uni offers... :eek: which I'm not sure about! - cus Notts is a well good opportunity, great prospects etc and the course is fab for anyone who likes the subject... whereas it's more or less a deadend with Art. I dunno! - any ideas? I dunno if I should stick with it and go Nottingham, but go do Art at college part-time or something... that way I get both. Or should I just go for Art, then reapply through UCAS to unis for Art instead of Science this time?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
6.99%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.41%
I don't think they'd understand (57)
15.32%
It might lead to more bullying (145)
38.98%
There's nothing they could do (109)
29.3%

Watched Threads