The Student Room Group

currently in an internship but got an offer for another

Hey, currently in a weird situation right now:

I started an internship earlier this week which has been good so far and it's going to be until the 12th of July. But the other day I heard back from another company and they offered me an internship there, which I really want to take since it's more aligned with my future career goals, but it starts on the 3rd of July which clashes with the internship I'm currently at!!!

What should I do? One of my friends suggested I just tell the current internship employer straight up and they should let me leave but another friend has told me to just say theres been a 'family emergency' once the other internship starts.
Original post by saulgoodman246
Hey, currently in a weird situation right now:

I started an internship earlier this week which has been good so far and it's going to be until the 12th of July. But the other day I heard back from another company and they offered me an internship there, which I really want to take since it's more aligned with my future career goals, but it starts on the 3rd of July which clashes with the internship I'm currently at!!!

What should I do? One of my friends suggested I just tell the current internship employer straight up and they should let me leave but another friend has told me to just say theres been a 'family emergency' once the other internship starts.

Is this in line with a course you are on? Make sure that switching or changing companies doesn't interfere with anything. But strange it would end in the middle of July if your course is still ongoing. Maybe speak to them for advice on what to do?

You could take the approach of telling the first one you can't complete your final week or 2 and gauge their reaction. They might just say no problem without needing any info. I assume you aren't being paid for this?

Or have I picked it all up wrong?
Original post by JDSensations
Is this in line with a course you are on? Make sure that switching or changing companies doesn't interfere with anything. But strange it would end in the middle of July if your course is still ongoing. Maybe speak to them for advice on what to do?

You could take the approach of telling the first one you can't complete your final week or 2 and gauge their reaction. They might just say no problem without needing any info. I assume you aren't being paid for this?

Or have I picked it all up wrong?

Yeah so I finished all my exams for uni back in mid may so I'm pretty much free for the entire summer. I recieved an offer for the current internship like back in April and we agreed to start the internship as soon as my exams finished.

I am being paid for it but I'm not really worried about that, I'm just thinking about how to approach it. You think they won't ask for extra information? But just in case they do I should have something to say so its either I'm transparent about starting another internship or I come up with a random excuse
Original post by saulgoodman246
Yeah so I finished all my exams for uni back in mid may so I'm pretty much free for the entire summer. I recieved an offer for the current internship like back in April and we agreed to start the internship as soon as my exams finished.

I am being paid for it but I'm not really worried about that, I'm just thinking about how to approach it. You think they won't ask for extra information? But just in case they do I should have something to say so its either I'm transparent about starting another internship or I come up with a random excuse

Ah ok, well you aren't in actual employment and not in any contract I guess, so you can just be upfront and tell them you have another opportunity that over laps this end date, what are they going to do, let you go early? that's what you want anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by saulgoodman246
Hey, currently in a weird situation right now:

I started an internship earlier this week which has been good so far and it's going to be until the 12th of July. But the other day I heard back from another company and they offered me an internship there, which I really want to take since it's more aligned with my future career goals, but it starts on the 3rd of July which clashes with the internship I'm currently at!!!

What should I do? One of my friends suggested I just tell the current internship employer straight up and they should let me leave but another friend has told me to just say theres been a 'family emergency' once the other internship starts.

Your first friend's advice is the best. Do not make up some story about 'family emergency' because that will make you sound flaky. Write a professional email thanking your current employer for the opportunity then go on to tell them that you have now received another opportunity and after careful consideration, you have decided to accept it as it aligns with your career goals more closely. Thank them again highlighting the skills you have gained from the current internship and how valuable they will be for you and you've enjoyed your time there.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Makro
Your first friend's advice is the best. Do not make up some story about 'family emergency' because that will make you sound flaky. Write a professional email thanking your current employer for the opportunity then go on to tell them that you have now received another opportunity and after careful consideration, you have decided to accept it as it aligns with your career goals more closely. Thank them again highlighting the skills you have gained from the current internship and how valuable they will be for you and you've enjoyed your time there.

Sounds like this is the best option to go with - thanks for that! Btw, any idea when I should let them know?

I feel like if I let them know too early then they'll treat me slightly differently during the last weeks of the internship which I'm not phased about much, but it's more about the awkward environment that might be created. If I let them know with a week and a half to go till the second internship starts that should be better, right?
Reply 6
Original post by saulgoodman246
Sounds like this is the best option to go with - thanks for that! Btw, any idea when I should let them know?

I feel like if I let them know too early then they'll treat me slightly differently during the last weeks of the internship which I'm not phased about much, but it's more about the awkward environment that might be created. If I let them know with a week and a half to go till the second internship starts that should be better, right?


Check your contract with them and see what is the 'notice period'? write to them within this timeframe
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply