The Student Room Group
Reply 1
The mixture is heated until it all vaporises. The gases then rise through a series of cooling dish things (not sure what they are called). These are placed so that the temperature they are at corresponds with a b.p of fractions. As the gases rise (due to physics) the layers get cooler and cooler so the fractions condense on the different layers with the highest b.p. at the bottom and the lowest at the top.
Reply 2
azhao
The mixture is heated until it all vaporises. The gases then rise through a series of cooling dish things (not sure what they are called). These are placed so that the temperature they are at corresponds with a b.p of fractions. As the gases rise (due to physics) the layers get cooler and cooler so the fractions condense on the different layers with the highest b.p. at the bottom and the lowest at the top.

Yes hence separating the mixture, i think those cooling dishes are called 'bubble caps' although i may be wrong
Reply 3
The vapour and liquid pass up the fractionating tower( via a series of trays containing bubble caps), that is negative, (higher at the bottom than top). It condenses off at a tray that is sufficiently cool, (lower than its BP) to a liquid. :smile:
Reply 4
Not really sure, you don't need to know it for A2 chemistry at least.
Reply 5
Laith
So the vapour itself cools? Right. Ones with higher BP are at the bottom of the column, and lower are at the top. Why is this?

it is because as the height increases, parts of the mixture in gaseous form have reached a temperature below that of there boiling point (as temp decreases with increasing height) so they are no longer in that state but rather a liquid. i think though they have to place the caps to avoid the liquid then falling back into the gaseous state

Latest