This discussion is closed.
Monkey_Maiden
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hi im doing biology coursework and basically i have to see whether two different types of apple (granny smith and other) affect pectinase and the amount of aplle juice produced. does thid depend on the pH then? how do you stew an apple anyway?
Aitch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Monkey_Maiden)
Hi im doing biology coursework and basically i have to see whether two different types of apple (granny smith and other) affect pectinase and the amount of aplle juice produced. does thid depend on the pH then? how do you stew an apple anyway?

Just cook it slowly over a low heat in a covered pan.

Looks a dodgy experiment to me, especially the second part. The amount of juice an apple will yield will depend on the size, the ripeness, the season, the heat over which it is cooked, length of cooking time, efficacy of seal of lid (to avoid evaporation), as well as the variety.

I con't know about pectinase, sorry. I'm a cook, not a biologist!

Aitch
spin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Aitch)
Just cook it slowly over a low heat in a covered pan.

Looks a dodgy experiment to me, especially the second part.
Aitch
Yup, I'll second that.

As for the pectinase? Well pH would be my guess.. but as you're stewing the apples you better be careful of the temperature of the juice when you test it because enzymes are affected by heat aswell..
Noel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I had to stew apples for my GCSE food technology. I just cut it up, put some sugar on it and put in he microwave- that would be faster than using a cooker, and more realible, as exactly the same heat is given off by a microwave each time, unlike a cooker, which is diifcult to keep stable.
Aitch
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
URGENT!

Check pan of stewing apples. Almost certainly cooked.

Aitch
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads