The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Gap year Admissions??

I have heard somewhere that 50% of Oxbridge admissions are fine gap year students. So would it be wise to take a gap year before applying, bearing in mind I will not be able to do anything fancy as I come from a low income background.

Also, is it just me who finds this (if true) to be slightly elitist given that the typical gap year student comes from a wealthy background and has more experiences that can give them the “edge”?
Original post by Anonymous
I have heard somewhere that 50% of Oxbridge admissions are fine gap year students. So would it be wise to take a gap year before applying, bearing in mind I will not be able to do anything fancy as I come from a low income background.

Also, is it just me who finds this (if true) to be slightly elitist given that the typical gap year student comes from a wealthy background and has more experiences that can give them the “edge”?

What are you A-Level subject grades likely to be? If A*AA or more, then you will have a strong possibility of being called for interview at Oxford or Cambridge. Since you will have already got your A-Level certificates.

What are you going to do during your gap year? :s-smilie: It is not recommended for a Maths degree. :smile:
Original post by thegeek888
What are you A-Level subject grades likely to be? If A*AA or more, then you will have a strong possibility of being called for interview at Oxford or Cambridge. Since you will have already got your A-Level certificates.

What are you going to do during your gap year? :s-smilie: It is not recommended for a Maths degree. :smile:

I am actually in Year 12 right now, but I would say A* A* A A, and I want to apply for PPE.
I am actually in Year 12 right now, but I would say A* A* A A, and I want to apply for PPE.

PPE is requires A-Level Maths, and any other subjects.

Which A-Level subjects? :s-smilie: A*A*AA is good enough, but if the A*'s are in History or Maths, you will be shortlisted for interview for sure. :smile:
Original post by thegeek888
PPE is requires A-Level Maths, and any other subjects.

Which A-Level subjects? :s-smilie: A*A*AA is good enough, but if the A*'s are in History or Maths, you will be shortlisted for interview for sure. :smile:

That was just an estimate as we’ve not received our predicted grades yet. My A-Levels are Maths, Economics, Politics, and Biology. I think I am quite strong in Econ and Politics, but slightly weaker in Bio and Maths.
That was just an estimate as we’ve not received our predicted grades yet. My A-Levels are Maths, Economics, Politics, and Biology. I think I am quite strong in Econ and Politics, but slightly weaker in Bio and Maths.

That's great. Now all you have to worry about is the TSA and the interviews. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending