Turn on thread page Beta

AS Chemistry - honestly what can I do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My teacher told me in the lesson today (EDEXCEL) that I will be doing a practical next friday!
    I looked under the specification and realised that I am doomed.
    For example, there are a lot of chemical tests that I don't know and a lot of practical techniques that I have never even heard of, e.g. heating under reflux.

Can someone explain what exam I have been entered for?
    Is it part of coursework? or is it just one practical?

Help me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    My teacher told me in the lesson today (EDEXCEL) that I will be doing a practical next friday!
    For example, there are a lot of chemical tests that I don't know and a lot of practical techniques that I have never even heard of, e.g. heating under reflux.

Help me!
    is it a practical exam or class practical?

i'm with the OCR examing board, so i dont really know the actual unit you're doing, but i do know that if you're doing a practical exam then it will consist of you having about 10 days to produce a plan based on an investigation/question given to you by your teacher/edexcel.

then on the day of your practical exam, you will have to perform a practical technique using a provided method, and will also have to answer a short question paper (all of which under 1 and a 1/2 hours)- collectively the whole practical exam aims to assess your planning, implementing, analysing, and evaluation skills.

hope it helps- i have an A2 practical exam in may, and i really need to learn about titrations

ReputationRep:

Help me!
    heating under reflux: continuous heating by electrical heater and condensing using a reflux condenser (attached to a water flow to keep cool) to provide a constant high temperature. used usually in organic chemistry where yeilds are otherwise low due to side reactions. used for oxidation of aldehydes, esterification, etc.

you need to make sure you know all the chemical tests for things. the flame tests, the tests for halide ions (using silver nitrate), test for iodine, and lots of gasses. plus a few more random ones.
    check the specification for a full list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    heating under reflux: continuous heating by electrical heater and condensing using a reflux condenser (attached to a water flow to keep cool) to provide a constant high temperature. used usually in organic chemistry where yeilds are otherwise low due to side reactions. used for oxidation of aldehydes, esterification, etc.

you need to make sure you know all the chemical tests for things. the flame tests, the tests for halide ions (using silver nitrate), test for iodine, and lots of gasses. plus a few more random ones.
    check the specification for a full list.
    that's great but how can I learn them all in a week. This is so unfair. I didn't even know about this exam until today. it is in a week.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's assessment. There are 4 skills: planning, observation, calculation and ...ah ..forgot the 4th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCHL85)
    I think it's assessment. There are 4 skills: planning, observation, calculation and ...ah ..forgot the 4th.
    evaluation?!?

ReputationRep:
    I do edexcel chemistry (A2), and for all my practicals, daunting though they were, we were allowed to look things up as we did them in textbooks etc.
    i don't think that was cheating ;-/
    the instruction sheets should explain exactly what to do and how to do it

hopefully, heh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairieboi)
    I do edexcel chemistry (A2), and for all my practicals, daunting though they were, we were allowed to look things up as we did them in textbooks etc.
    i don't think that was cheating ;-/
    the instruction sheets should explain exactly what to do and how to do it

hopefully, heh
    what did you have to do in your as practical, give me details so I can see what they are like.

ReputationRep:
    what did you have to do in your as practical, give me details so I can see what they are like.
    can't really remember, as it was last year

things like titrations to test manipulation skills
    planning could be something organic like 'you have subtances A, B, C, D; one is an alcohol, one a carboxyllic acid, one an alkene, one an alkane. plan a serious of tests to work out which one is which'
    conclusion/data manipulation stuff is drawing graphs and things
    evaluation is 'was it good? what were sources of error? how could you improve it?'

i'm sure your teacher won't just say 'do the practical. no talking. no help.', having not even explained the experiment to you

did they tell you to learn tests and things? if so you might want to do that, but when i did it we could use books ;-/ it's a practical test, not a memory one

ReputationRep:
    can't really remember, as it was last year

things like titrations to test manipulation skills
    planning could be something organic like 'you have subtances A, B, C, D; one is an alcohol, one a carboxyllic acid, one an alkene, one an alkane. plan a serious of tests to work out which one is which'
    conclusion/data manipulation stuff is drawing graphs and things
    evaluation is 'was it good? what were sources of error? how could you improve it?'

i'm sure your teacher won't just say 'do the practical. no talking. no help.', having not even explained the experiment to you

did they tell you to learn tests and things? if so you might want to do that, but when i did it we could use books ;-/ it's a practical test, not a memory one
    i haven't done any organic chemistry whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    i haven't done any organic chemistry whatsoever.
    i doubt it'll be an organic practical, then ;p

ReputationRep:
    -Planning is the most difficult thing to me. You have to create an experiment to find out something by yourself, but they also give you some clues. Don't worry too much.

-Observation: do experiment as they show you, your teacher will give you a paper that tells you what you must do. Record your observation. Becareful with this cuz I lost many silly marks on this, such as: "vigorous reaction/heat given out/misty fume", not only "precipitate/gas elvoved". When I did .. I though I didn't need to write that down ..then I lost marks.

-Calculation, I find it easiest, but careful.. I did lose my mark cuz I forgot to put the unit after calculation.

-Evaluation: Often for testing what compounds you are given. From your observation, and your notes (I think your teacher will let you see your note or give you some notes about that) to infer the formula of the compound.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    -Planning is the most difficult thing to me. You have to create an experiment to find out something by yourself, but they also give you some clues. Don't worry too much.

-Observation: do experiment as they show you, your teacher will give you a paper that tells you what you must do. Record your observation. Becareful with this cuz I lost many silly marks on this, such as: "vigorous reaction/heat given out/misty fume", not only "precipitate/gas elvoved". When I did .. I though I didn't need to write that down ..then I lost marks.

-Calculation, I find it easiest, but careful.. I did lose my mark cuz I forgot to put the unit after calculation.

-Evaluation: Often for testing what compounds you are given. From your observation, and your notes (I think your teacher will let you see your note or give you some notes about that) to infer the formula of the compound.

Good luck
    Thanks, I'll need it.
    If I do badly I can always retake in June.
    One question, can universities find out if you have retaken a module?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'll need it.
    If I do badly I can always retake in June.
    One question, can universities find out if you have retaken a module?
    not really. don't think they'd care too much, either, providing you have the grades at time of application, they'll assume you've earnt them

ReputationRep:
    not really. don't think they'd care too much, either, providing you have the grades at time of application, they'll assume you've earnt them
    how many retakes have you taken?

ReputationRep:
    As I know for skill A(planning) there'are 2 tests.
    Skill B, C, D (observation and evaluation, calculation) has 3 (not so sure)

ReputationRep:
    As I know for skill A(planning) there'are 2 tests.
    Skill B, C, D (observation and evaluation, calculation) has 3 (not so sure)
    what I want to know is why is my exam in february? I checked edexcel website and it says that this exam is in june.

ReputationRep:
    No in Edexcel website, you saw the practical exam timetable, but most teachers choose assessment.. so I think you'll do assessment. And time for these exams depends on your teachers.

ReputationRep:
    that's great but how can I learn them all in a week. This is so unfair. I didn't even know about this exam until today. it is in a week.
    it's not hard. write them all down on a sheet of A4 paper without looking at the answers twice a day (not much to ask) and you'll know them. also get yoru parents to test you on them.

ReputationRep:
    No in Edexcel website, you saw the practical exam timetable, but most teachers choose assessment.. so I think you'll do assessment. And time for these exams depends on your teachers.
    Say for example I get full marks on planning, calculations and evaluation but do badly on calculations for example, is there any way I can improve this mark?

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.