Turn on thread page Beta

Why am I scared of using the phone?! (Don't you dare laugh) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's quite life-hindering tbh!

Apparently my grandad was the same, how odd. Apart from that, I feel like the only person in the world who hates using the phone! I don't mind when people phone me, I can answer the phone, but I don't like phoning people...and I am even scared of that fact that BSM will 'call me back' when I try to book driving lessons.

ACK.

ReputationRep:
    I am too actually. For me its about not being able to see the person who i am talking to, or especially conveying to them when i am trying to think or something about something. When writing words and stuff, its easy to do, because you can stop and think as long as you want. Face to face its easy too, because people can see that your thinking (most of the time), but on the phone i can't think straight, and i always make a fool of myself, so i get really scared of it.

ReputationRep:
    Awwww bless!I'm sometimes like that when I have to talk to someone I don't know on the phone,the bank for example.Which is completely illogical cuz even if I DO make a fool of myself they don't even know me lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So am I. I get all nervous when I have to use the phone. I avoid it at all costs. I live for texts!!!!

Me too. You get kinda nervous and never know what to say. I think it's worse because my Dad rarely does anything and so is always listening.

If you had said scare to use the phone full stop then that would have been funny, but it is wierd having to ring people, especially if you don't recognise their voice over the phone.

ReputationRep:
    Nice to know I'm not the only one, I seriously thought I was a freak until five minutes ago!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)

Apparently my grandad was the same, how odd. Apart from that, I feel like the only person in the world who hates using the phone! I don't mind when people phone me, I can answer the phone, but I don't like phoning people...and I am even scared of that fact that BSM will 'call me back' when I try to book driving lessons.

ACK.
    lol i am totally like that. It's stupid when you think about it, i think i can need to ge out more lol
    btw i'm with BSM, don't worry, they'rereally friendly!

ReputationRep:
    I think I think that people will be horrible to me down the phone for some reason :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)

ACK.
    Easy way to get over it, get a job where you have to answer a phone, it soon cures you!! Well it did me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I think you all need to try and use it more to get over your fear. I used to be like that. Now at least I can talk to people I know, but I have a horrid fear of calling people from phone books. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I can answer the phone, I just hate calling people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFi25)
    Easy way to get over it, get a job where you have to answer a phone, it soon cures you!! Well it did me anyway.
    Or instead turn you into a jibbering wreck, curled up on the floor shouting "Evil evil phone. keep it away, Keep It Away, KEEP IT AWAY"

ReputationRep:
    After working with phones, I got better but still don't like using them to make calls really..will avoid it if I can generally. Would rather be face to face with strangers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I think I think that people will be horrible to me down the phone for some reason :confused:
    lol, what's the worse they can do over the phone, shoot you? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I once had a dream where I phoned someone and they fired a gun shot down the phone and it went into my ear actually!! Quite funny...but maybe that's why I hate phoning strangers...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I once had a dream where I phoned someone and they fired a gun shot down the phone and it went into my ear actually!! Quite funny...but maybe that's why I hate phoning strangers...?
    i think what the problem is, is practice and experience. You need to be exposed to more phones!

ReputationRep:
    Loll

(Original post by Cellardore)
    lol, what's the worse they can do over the phone, shoot you? :rolleyes:
    No, shout at you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Garage)
    No, shout at you.
    Well they could let you hear it as they shot your loved ones to death, or tortured them, their dying screams drilling into your soul, because your not there to help them, just at the other end of the phone, doing whatever your doing away from them.

ReputationRep:
    i hate phones i never say what i mean/need to, and i stutter and talk crap half the time, also i make don't know faces rather than say don't know, which doesn't work too well.

i don't hate them half as much as answering machines though.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2005
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.