Turn on thread page Beta

Why am I scared of using the phone?! (Don't you dare laugh) watch

I don't really like talking on the phone. I was trying to explain to someone the other day how I just can't get over the fact it is so bizzare. You can hear someone speaking on the other side of the world. It is just scary. But no I don't really like having to call people, probably why I have very few friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)
    i don't hate them half as much as answering machines though.

damn true. i've been scared of fones for ages. however the more calls you make to ur mates the better u get at it. however i have still not left a msg on a ansewrfone before

ReputationRep:
    I hate using the phone, I usually get my mum to do it. But I like leaving messages - I'm so relieved when people aren't there so i don't have to talk to them. I hate not knowing what to say and stuttering and people always sound so condescending. Seriously, you are not alone! If I can I wil always avoid it, even to friends.

ReputationRep:
    Ha.
    I was struggling to explain this to a friend today. I won't pick up the house phone. I won't answer my phone if it is no number. I will never make a call to someone I don't know. Only in emergencies will I call someone I do know and I will be terrified.
    It's only when the person I'm calling has told me to call them (without me asking if I can call them) and given me a specific time to call them that I won't get into a state. Still get really worried about it though.

I just hate the idea of disturbing people and bothering them, they have better things they could be doing then talking to me.
    I get very choked up on phones as well, I can never get the rights words out and forget what I'm meant to be saying, leaving silences...I'm stupidly scared of them.
    Also slightly paraniod that people are listening in to all my conversations or recording them, or have me on speakerphone...but people don't tend to take that as serious as the other reasons (read as they take the piss out of it more.)
    I'm also very conscious of my speech and how I pronouce words etc. Always think I slip into a Bristolian accent (Although I apparently now sound posh...even when drunk) On a phone there is only the voice to focus on, face to face you have hand movements, facial expressions and the surroundings to distracted the attention.

(or maybe having many arguments on the phone, and being made to answer it to people talking a foreign language when about 6 had a bad effect on me)

ReputationRep:
    I used to be quite bad on the telephone; I would ignore it if it rang, and would generally do everything possible to avoid having to deal with the blasted device (even going so far as to write letters, god forbid). Now I actually find it quite fun to deal with banks and the like: if you display the least authority in your voice, they generally wilt under the pressure, and become quite complaisant.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the phone. I don't ring anyone other then my friends, ever.

ReputationRep:
    I used to hate it... I'm a bit better now. It helps if you practise and know what you're saying and have a sort of "script" in your head, and now I'm all professional when talking to people like landlords, to the extent I quite impressed my friend

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.