This discussion is closed.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Golden Maverick)
OK, so probably the child in this case would not fully be part of the Deaf community, but it could still benfit from this even if hearing. The article does explain the rationale of the parents in requesting for a deaf donor, seeing deafness as a 'difference'. However I still do not think the parents should be in a position to decide any aspects of their child (apart from choosing who to have sex with in normal cases), let alone to choose something that is widely seen as a diability.
Personally I'd consider the opinions of the people with a certain condition as more important than those without it on whether something should be considered a disability or not.

However I agree - I'm not in favour of the whole designer baby idea. I don't believe that seeking donor sperm from someone similar to the childs second parent fits that situation though....as I say if the two people concerned were able to concieve naturally then the chances of their child being deaf would be equal to the chances of their child being deaf with sperm from a congenitally deaf donor.

They don't want to screen the embryo's genes.
Golden Maverick
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Personally I'd consider the opinions of the people with a certain condition as more important than those without it on whether something should be considered a disability or not.
I think that would also depend on if the parents were congenitally deaf. As if they have been deaf for their whole lives, they have not experienced the 'hearing community'. This would make their opinion equally as unfounded as a hearing persons' IMO. Perhaps people who became deaf later in life would be better to ask.
EDIT: Problem with this is they're probably not part of the Deaf community.
However I agree - I'm not in favour of the whole designer baby idea. I don't believe that seeking donor sperm from someone similar to the childs second parent fits that situation though....as I say if the two people concerned were able to concieve naturally then the chances of their child being deaf would be equal to the chances of their child being deaf with sperm from a congenitally deaf donor.

They don't want to screen the embryo's genes.
I know what you mean. It makes the situation more difficult. However it really depends on the parents' motives, which I feel are not entirely altruistic. Should they have the right to choose anything about their child? It seems to me the donor should be selected randomly; but I've not really made my mind up! Hmm
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Should they have the right to choose anything about their child? It seems to me the donor should be selected randomly; but I've not really made my mind up! Hmm
we normally have choice in who we breed with.

it seems reasonable to me that they would want the same chance that the child would have a major trait that it might with a natural conception. if they wanted to screen the embryo i'd see that as a different situation entirely..

otherwise as it stands any opposition is trying to design their baby to be what society terms 'disability free' due to their misfortune in being infertile.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.82%
No (135)
74.18%

Watched Threads