This discussion is closed.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I posted a similar message in the English sub-forum a few days ago but I wanted more opinions!

Is anyone else having doubts about their chosen course, or even doubts about going to uni at all?

I'm just going through that stage at the moment, thinking 'do I really want to study English for three years?' Is this normal? I'm worried that I won't like it, and that I'll find it too hard. I'm hoping this phase will pass but I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Doubts about course? Yes! Why am I taking such a 'useless' subject that people turn their noses up at? What am I going to do afterwards? Will I like the course content and structure (the module titles sound good but they might not be!)? Will I just DIE doing physical geography?! Have I only chosen this subject because I like my teachers, lessons etc and don't like my other lessons and teachers? Have I only chosen this course because it is my strongest subject?

Doubts about uni? Nope! Would change Reading for Sussex and maybe Sheffield for York's BSc Econ, Env and Society course if I applied again, maybe.

Of course it's normal, Sam. I reckon it would be abnormal not to have even a small, niggling doubt in the back of your mind - it is a 3/4 yr course, a long time to be doing something that's not right.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
Doubts about course? Yes! Why am I taking such a 'useless' subject that people turn their noses up at? What am I going to do afterwards? Will I like the course content and structure (the module titles sound good but they might not be!)? Will I just DIE doing physical geography?! Have I only chosen this subject because I like my teachers, lessons etc and don't like my other lessons and teachers? Have I only chosen this course because it is my strongest subject?

Doubts about uni? Nope! Would change Reading for Sussex and maybe Sheffield for York's BSc Econ, Env and Society course if I applied again, maybe.

Of course it's normal, Sam. I reckon it would be abnormal not to have even a small, niggling doubt in the back of your mind - it is a 3/4 yr course, a long time to be doing something that's not right.
Thanks I'm just slightly freaking out at the moment!
I just realised that I havent actually read a book for ages (unless you count Jordan's autobiography!) and that can't be a good sign if I'm doing a literature degree! Plus we're doing satire and stuff in lessons at the moment and I'm absolutely hating it! And English isn't my strongest subject either.
I don't know what's brought all this on. I only started feeling like this after I got my Exeter offer!
hazzie1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
don't worry, its bound to happen. I haven't read anything for weeks, just think that we can read as much as we want in the summer holiday! If your really unsure, then you could think about Clearing, but its probably just commitment phobia!
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I had doubts about my course before I started- thought it might be boring and that I'd hate it. But now I'm doing it, I wouldn't change it for anything. Sure, it's not all thrilling stuff, but the good bits more than make up for the bad bits.
Font
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
RE the original post.

I had lots of doubts abotu putting down maths and was really peeved off cos my school rushed me into filling out my UCas form quickly, and choosing a course quickly - i wish they gave us more time, so that students actually have time to choose what they want to do in the long run.
Vixen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeh, I have my doubts sometimes. And sometimes I sit there and think about actually having to go to uni and I get really nervous But I want a degree really badly and my gut instinct is to go so Im sticking with that
Noel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have had these doubts! I thought I wanted to change to PPE intead of just an economics realted degree. Then thought well I'll choose the university I think I'll like the most, start the course and if I dpon't like it then you can change once you get there, but at least you would have choosen a uni yur happy with.
joesharp
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I did for a while, mainly because I'm not doing Further Maths. Though I've since found out after a few open days that most people applying for my universities are not either. I'd probably change some of my uni choices, particularly Portsmouth and Southampton, but fine other than that.
Kiril
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I guess you can always reject all your choices and have gap year during which you would be able to get a good long think?
WhatFreshHell?
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Absolutely I've been having these doubts. Especially because only 2.5 of the courses I applied to contain history, and 3.5 contain German (Durham arts combined has both + french!), I'm worried that not doing history will bore me, that I don't really like languages, thay I'm too lazy to bother with learning grammar etc (I havent so far this year, why start now?)
I'm also worried whether I picked the right uni - if I go to Oxford, will I get a "normal" uni experience, or will i have to stay in studying every night to keep up because they're all so smart there?! Can I get AAA (don't even know if I can get As in any of my subjects im that crap at them! lol)

Anyway, everyone has these stupid doubts, or you and I are very strange people indeed!

... that was a nice insight into my head for you all ...
Sian01
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Me too!
Do i want to go to uni? Yes, yes, yes - can't wait. I just don't know if i want to spend 3 years doing History, whether i'm good enough. Whats worrying me is that I'm just not doing my schoolwork at the moment - i've got the motivation, because i've has a taste of the student lifestyle, but I just don't do the work. I don't think I can get the AAB grades I need. Ahhhh. I'm going to make a conscious descision not to go out this weekend and get my history coursework done...honest.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I really resent having to do maths allllllllll daaaay longgggg and wish it was a bit more varied like alevels were. But I know that since I have to do one subject for three years, I'm most able to tolerate maths.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads