This discussion is closed.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
yes i know i'm at uni... but i'm pretty sure this is on the A level course too (which my recollection of is a bit rusty)

any help with this question will be muchos appreciated (rep will be given)

Let A,B,C and D be vertices of a non-regular tetrahedron, and let P, Q, R and S byt the midpoints Of AB, BC, CD and DA respectively. Show that O, Q, R and S are the vertices of a parallelogram. Verify that P,Q,R and S are coplaner. Prove that lines joining PR and QS intersect and bisect each other.

lou xxx
BCHL85
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh, I did some kinds of this question before ...but here I haven't studied it ..so I forgot alot. Give me time to refresh my memory.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
(Original post by BCHL85)
Oh, I did some kinds of this question before ...but here I haven't studied it ..so I forgot alot. Give me time to refresh my memory.

cheers! (and i'm not in a rush, was just doing some questions and honestly didn't know where to start with this on)

lou xxx
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ok, it's not a vetors problem , I'm sure . First draw a diagram. Then see PS // BD, and QR // BD. And PS = QR = 1/2BD.
So PS //= QR
Similarly PQ //= SR (//=1/2AC).
So it's parrallegram. The others will follow this
El Stevo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
sounds like you are proving Varignon's Theorem...
lou p lou
Rep:
?
okies.. that makes sense... just checking, does // mean parallel?

lou xxx
lou p lou
Rep:
?
(Original post by El Stevo)
sounds like you are proving Varignon's Theorem...
maybe... although i don't think that was the point of the question though, it's just part of a revsion sheet

lou xxx
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
okies.. that makes sense... just checking, does // mean parallel?

lou xxx
yeah, right. // means parallel.
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
Let A,B,C and D be vertices of a non-regular tetrahedron, and let P, Q, R and S byt the midpoints Of AB, BC, CD and DA respectively. Show that O, Q, R and S are the vertices of a parallelogram. Verify that P,Q,R and S are coplaner. Prove that lines joining PR and QS intersect and bisect each other.
P = (A+B)/2
Q = (B+C)/2
R = (C+D)/2
S = (A+D)/2

PQ = (C-A)/2 = SR
PS = (D-B)/2 = QR

Hence PQRS is a parallelogram. Hence PQRS are coplanar (being vertices of a planar object!) or note PQ, PR, PS are dependent.

(A+B+C+D)/4 = (P+R)/2 = (Q+S)/2

showing that that point is the midpoint of PR and QS both - hence they intersect.
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by RichE)
P = (A+B)/2
Q = (B+C)/2
R = (C+D)/2
S = (A+D)/2

PQ = (C-A)/2 = SR
PS = (D-B)/2 = QR

Hence PQRS is a parallelogram. Hence PQRS are coplanar (being vertices of a planar object!) or note PQ, PR, PS are dependent.

(A+B+C+D)/4 = (P+R)/2 = (Q+S)/2

showing that that point is the midpoint of PR and QS both - hence they intersect.
Woa...using vectors here I think more complicated... I don't know if you can use Tallet rule or you must use vectors.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
(Original post by BCHL85)
Woa...using vectors here I think more complicated... I don't know if you can use Tallet rule or you must use vectors.

i think the question was intended for vectors. grrr, i don't liek questiosn like this, they're really obvious but have to be done an unnecessarily complicated way(i'd proved in about 2 seconds by drawing a diagram)

anyway... thanks guys

lou xxx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads