The Student Room Group

People at school who judge me

To put it into context, my teacher had asked my class to answer a specific question, and so I gave quite an elaborate answer. As I was explaining what I meant, two people in the back of the class scoffed at the answer I gave and it kind of shook my confidence, which meant that I struggled to finish off my answer. What should I do?
Reply 1
Original post by Avocado_Cat14
To put it into context, my teacher had asked my class to answer a specific question, and so I gave quite an elaborate answer. As I was explaining what I meant, two people in the back of the class scoffed at the answer I gave and it kind of shook my confidence, which meant that I struggled to finish off my answer. What should I do?

If this was in a subject without solid right/wrong answers and instead answers open to interpretation (English and similar) then giving elaborate answers, as long as you can justify them, will likely serve you well as it shows that you have the capabilities to really understand what is going on and then come at it from a different angle. Also, you have have only heard the scoff but it's likely that the other people in the room were either glad that someone else came up with a similar interpretation or impressed that you were able to infer that from the information given.
If this was a subject where the answer is either right or wrong, no inbetween areas really then explaining your answers in class can be really helpful to both you and everyone else in the room to help get a solid grasp on the subject.

Ultimately, giving an elaborate answer is indicative that you really do know and understand the material and at the end of the day, those people who scofed aren't the ones giving you your grade but if this really is bothering you maybe discuss you answer further with a teacher or a friend

Quick Reply

Latest