This discussion is closed.
Ana
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Is it a coincidence that the derivative of the formula for the volume of a sphere (V=4/3*pi*r^3) is the same as the formula for the surface area of said sphere, ie 4*pi*r^2, or is there a reason behind this?
SsEe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'd say coincidence. Also, parametrically a parabola is given by (at², 2at). See the derivative? Another coincidence methinks. Though I'd very much like to know what somebody who's more experienced than me thinks.
BCHL85
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, it is.
V = INT[0,r] of area function
So surface area = lim(x->r) of area function.
I think
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No it's not a coincidence - and similarly 2 pi r and pi r^2 for circles - because one could calculate the area of the circle by integrating concentric circles within.

The parabola example seems to be coincidence - given you could change parameter (e.g. t = u^3) and get two functions that aren't derivatively-related. However it may be that t is a preferential parameter and so it not be coincidence - I haven't really put any thought into this.
Ana
Rep:
?
(Original post by RichE)
No it's not a coincidence - and similarly 2 pi r and pi r^2 for circles - because one could calculate the area of the circle by integrating concentric circles within.
I've been thinking about this since, and something puzzles me...

Why is the formula for the surface area of a cube 6x^2 and not 3x^2 ? What makes the difference?
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Princess Ana)
I've been thinking about this since, and something puzzles me...

Why is the formula for the surface area of a cube 6x^2 and not 3x^2 ? What makes the difference?
If x is the length of an edge, then it's simply because a cube has six square faces each with area x^2.

Why should it be 3x^2?
Ana
Rep:
?
Never mind. I'm confused. Just walk away slowly...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
18.3%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.09%
Not great so far... (257)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.72%

Watched Threads