School on Special measures? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Aj2003
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hi guys,

Recently my school has been put under "special measures" after an OFSTED inspection.

Do you think universities would take this into account when giving offers/rejections?

As i'm not sure whether to ring them or get my referee to ring them up and let them know?

Do you think this would strengthen or weaken my uni application?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks AJ
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Not sure, I was in a similar position my secondary school has since been closed down but I doubtr it will make a difference, my college was also very bad. It certainly won't harm your application but what ever you do don't point out the school is on special measures because it will look like you're just excusing poor results (no matter how valid excuse it may be).

Unless its famous like the Ridings School I doubt they will have heared of your school.
Aitch
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Aj2003)
Hi guys,

Recently my school has been put under "special measures" after an OFSTED inspection.

Do you think universities would take this into account when giving offers/rejections?

As i'm not sure whether to ring them or get my referee to ring them up and let them know?

Do you think this would strengthen or weaken my uni application?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks AJ
I don't think you should mention it. If the topic comes up in an interview or discussion during a visit, then OK. But don't make a big deal out of it, or it could look as if you're trying to use it as an excuse, or mitigation!

If the Admissions staff know about the status of your school from another source, this will do you no harm, and, I suppose, could be in your favour.

Aitch
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't think it will make a difference in your uni application. They just look at grades and not the kind of school you go to.
Aj2003
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Yeah, i noticed the advantages and disadvantages of doing this and i'm not excusing "poor" grades as they were relatively high compared to most of the people in my sixth form, but i really don't want this affecting my education as it may lead to some really good teachers in my school leaving.
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Mine has just exited special measures but i don't think it deserved to.
I think it's stupid how the inspectors have to give the centre lots of warning before they come. Everything changes when inspectors are here for us.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My school got very good ofstead inspections in the second time round but because of the extremely poor GCSE results it was still closed down, the irony is that the new school that replaced it has worse GCSE results than the old one!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.73%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.65%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.2%
It might lead to more bullying (132)
38.6%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.82%

Watched Threads