The Student Room Group

John Locke Essay Competition 2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SherLiu
I've got something called merit

could you sent out the content of the mail? Tysm
#videoTogetherLoading { touch-action: none; height: 50px; border: 1px solid #c9c8c8; background: #ffffff; color: #212529; display: flex; align-items: center; z-index: 2147483646; position: fixed; bottom: 15px; right: 15px; width: 250px; text-align: center; box-shadow: 0 3px 6px -4px #0000001f, 0 6px 16px #00000014, 0 9px 28px 8px #0000000d; border-radius: 5px; } #videoTogetherLoadingwrap { width: 100%; display: flex; align-items: center; justify-content: center; } #videoTogetherLoadingwrap img { margin-right: 12px; } #videoTogetherLoadingwrap a { color: #212529; text-decoration: none; } #videoTogetherLoadingwrap a:hover { color: #1890ff; text-decoration: underline; }
Reply 1181
Original post by Anonymous
could you sent out the content of the mail? Tysm
#videoTogetherLoading { touch-action: none; height: 50px; border: 1px solid #c9c8c8; background: #ffffff; color: #212529; display: flex; align-items: center; z-index: 2147483646; position: fixed; bottom: 15px; right: 15px; width: 250px; text-align: center; box-shadow: 0 3px 6px -4px #0000001f, 0 6px 16px #00000014, 0 9px 28px 8px #0000000d; border-radius: 5px; } #videoTogetherLoadingwrap { width: 100%; display: flex; align-items: center; justify-content: center; } #videoTogetherLoadingwrap img { margin-right: 12px; } #videoTogetherLoadingwrap a { color: #212529; text-decoration: none; } #videoTogetherLoadingwrap a:hover { color: #1890ff; text-decoration: underline; }

Two weeks ago my colleagues and I had the pleasure of hosting a ceremony in the University of Oxford's Sheldonian Theatre. Nearly eight hundred guests - shortlisted contestants and their families and supporters - heard a speech from our Guest of Honour, Professor Panos Kanelos; and our Director, Martin Cox, announced the category winners and runners up, and the overall winner of the Grand Prize of the John Locke Institute's 2023 Global Essay Competition. You can see their names here: https://www.johnlockeinstitute.com/prize-winners. Later this month, we will publish the prize-winning essays; I hope you will enjoy reading them as much as I did.

It is my very great pleasure to congratulate you on being awarded a Merit in the Junior category of the John Locke Institute's 2023 Global Essay Competition. You can be proud of this achievement. I hope the experience of researching and writing this essay will confer on you lasting benefits.

If you continue to meet the age eligibility, I hope you will enter the competition again next year. In any case, on behalf of the John Locke Institute, I wish you well in your future intellectual and academic endeavours.

Yours sincerely,
Jamie Whyte
Chairman of Examiners
anybody else who is not in junior category???
anybody else who is not in junior category???

I got the same email for the Philosophy category notifying me that I got a merit, no clue though what that means
I got the same email for the Philosophy category notifying me that I got a merit, no clue though what that means

Did you guys attended the Oxford ceremony??

when did you receive your email
when did you receive your email

yesterday and yes I did visit Oxford though I wasn't able to attend the awards ceremony
I havent received anything at all. I got shortlisted for economics. Anyone else?
Original post by how2anonymous
I havent received anything at all. I got shortlisted for economics. Anyone else?

I got nothing too but im in junior
Reply 1189
Original post by palelixir
I got nothing too but im in junior

I'm not sure if this "merit" just mean commendation
Hey guys, sorry for the irrelevance to this conversation.
I'll be 14 in June 2024, so do you think I'll be allowed to join the junior category when it comes around in 2024? (I'm pretty sure I will but I just want to double check)
Also, can I submit something for the junior category next year but also for the other categories?
the answer is yes for both questions

Original post by FlyingSquirrel10
Hey guys, sorry for the irrelevance to this conversation.
I'll be 14 in June 2024, so do you think I'll be allowed to join the junior category when it comes around in 2024? (I'm pretty sure I will but I just want to double check)
Also, can I submit something for the junior category next year but also for the other categories?

anyone else received anything yet…?I thought the e-certificates are coming out soon (?)
Reply 1193
anyone else received anything yet…?I thought the e-certificates are coming out soon (?)

No I just got the e-mail saying that I got a....merit prize?
Original post by SherLiu
No I just got the e-mail saying that I got a....merit prize?

strange I still haven't heard from them yet
which category did you do…?
Reply 1195
strange I still haven't heard from them yet
which category did you do…?

Junior
Original post by SherLiu
Junior

I did history and theology, guess I'll have to keep waiting :frown:(
best of luck if u are thinking of entering for this competition again next yr!
I am not doing this competition ever again. They are just making us wait forever without any kind of announcements. Extremely annoying
I did history and theology, guess I'll have to keep waiting :frown:(
best of luck if u are thinking of entering for this competition again next yr!

Same I did history. Anxiously waiting rn
have you guys heard anything yet from them regarding the certificates or whatever?

I think we all should collectively start mailing or tagging them on socials to get their attention. Like damn okay its been a month since they released the results, does it take much effort to release the remaining certificates and high distinctions and all

Quick Reply