The Student Room Group

Results day questions

I know it's still pretty far away but I have questions on preparing for results day.

If I don't meet my firm offer requirements, is it worth calling up my university to try and persuade them? If so, what would I have to say? I would assume it isn't worth trying for a course competitive like Law.

If I am some marks away from meeting my offer, and I request a remark, what else do I have to do? Must I inform my university and if so, how?

For clearing, which I would like to avoid because it would only yield me worse universities for a course such as law, how early do universities release what courses are on clearing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by efijier

1) If I don't meet my firm offer requirements, is it worth calling up my university to try and persuade them?

2) If I am some marks away from meeting my offer, and I request a remark, what else do I have to do? Must I inform my university and if so, how?

3) For clearing, which I would like to avoid because it would only yield me worse universities for a course such as law, how early do universities release what courses are on clearing?

1) Totally pointless - they made their decision days ago, its final and they are not going to change their minds.

2) Email the Uni asap. They may 'Reject' you in the meantime based on your results, but if the new remark grades mean you then meet the offer they will unpick this and reinstate you.

3) Many Unis will publish info about their Clearing vacancies on their website the afternoon/evening before Results Day - but they wont take any phone calls until 8am on Results Day itself.

What Happen on Results Day - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/a-level/guide-to-a-level-results-day
Honestly the other person's got it kinda wrong, universties can and do give places to people even if they have grades slightly below the entry requirements. Honestly calling them or getting in contact wouldn't be a bad idea cos you could make a good impression by it and show your interested bla bla bleghh. I think for them to make a big adjustment though you would need to have a reason, so like something interfered with your exams. All in all though I think its definitely worth trying, there's nothing to lose by it and you could end up at a university you love. Getting it remarked is a good idea too, unless there's a chance you can get a worse grade by it, but my sister got one on here a levels remarked from an A to an A star. Oh and also I don't know if you have to tell your university, I don't think so but double check on the internet. I think clearing opens after you get your grades but some universities are letting people register their interest since like a week ago.
Original post by efijier
I know it's still pretty far away but I have questions on preparing for results day.

If I don't meet my firm offer requirements, is it worth calling up my university to try and persuade them? If so, what would I have to say? I would assume it isn't worth trying for a course competitive like Law.

If I am some marks away from meeting my offer, and I request a remark, what else do I have to do? Must I inform my university and if so, how?

For clearing, which I would like to avoid because it would only yield me worse universities for a course such as law, how early do universities release what courses are on clearing?
Reply 3
Original post by CuteHarpSeal527
Honestly the other person's got it kinda wrong, universties can and do give places to people even if they have grades slightly below the entry requirements. Honestly calling them or getting in contact wouldn't be a bad idea cos you could make a good impression by it and show your interested bla bla bleghh. I think for them to make a big adjustment though you would need to have a reason, so like something interfered with your exams. All in all though I think its definitely worth trying, there's nothing to lose by it and you could end up at a university you love. Getting it remarked is a good idea too, unless there's a chance you can get a worse grade by it, but my sister got one on here a levels remarked from an A to an A star. Oh and also I don't know if you have to tell your university, I don't think so but double check on the internet. I think clearing opens after you get your grades but some universities are letting people register their interest since like a week ago.

I work at a senior level in University Admissions. We get your A level results days before you do - we make very careful and considered decisions over several days. And once they are entered on UCAS they are very final.

If you want to get a 2nd big NO, then go ahead - but your time would be better spent looking for Clearing vacancies.
Original post by efijier

Have a look at the first post here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7368672
It explains in more detail what happens at universities before results day and the different things to do depending on what your results are and what UCAS Hub says on the day :smile:

If there's a decision on the Hub (either way) then there's no point in calling. If there's no decision then it's important to call to find out what's happening and provide any information they need to make a decision.

If you've been rejected or have no decision and are getting a priority remark then it's important to ring and find out how to notify them of this ASAP on results morning.

I think you are confusing Universities deciding to take someone who has just missed the requirements because there are spaces on the course with the scenario the OP has posted. If the university does accept a lower grade onto the course then this decision would have been made when the Uni got the results and processed all the places and this is before results day. Once they decide to reject or accept, its done.

Phoning after decision has been made won't make the slightest difference.
(edited 9 months ago)
Just to add another qualified voice, only call if there is no decision on Hub.

The links from PQ and McGinger are very good, those two pages will explain almost every results day scenario.
Original post by totallyfine
I think you are confusing Universities deciding to take someone who has just missed the requirements because there are spaces on the course with the scenario the OP has posted. If the university does accept a lower grade onto the course then this decision would have been made when the Uni got the results and processed all the places and this is before results day. Once they decide to reject or accept, its done.

Yeah I guess that makes sense, but I think the OP hasn't received their results yet cos they say results day is pretty far away.
Reply 8

Hi, thanks for this. Do you think a uni may let a student onto a different course, with lower entry requirements if they don't attain their current course's requirements?
Original post by efijier
Hi, thanks for this. Do you think a uni may let a student onto a different course, with lower entry requirements if they don't attain their current course's requirements?

A uni may sometimes offer an alternative course, yes.
Reply 10
Original post by Admit-One
A uni may sometimes offer an alternative course, yes.

Is that something I have to call and ask for?
Original post by efijier
Is that something I have to call and ask for?

Not usually, (unless there is no decision on Hub). They'd contact you with an alternative offer on results day and it'd be up to you whether to accept it or not.

If you were rejected on results day then you can infer that they didn't have an alternative offer to make, however you can always call them up regarding clearing places.
For your question about clearing:
I think some unis have released their information about what courses they have in clearing for this year already but you will have to wait until 8am on results day to contact them and apply. It might be worth having a look around now just to get an idea of some unis :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Admit-One
Not usually, (unless there is no decision on Hub). They'd contact you with an alternative offer on results day and it'd be up to you whether to accept it or not.

If you were rejected on results day then you can infer that they didn't have an alternative offer to make, however you can always call them up regarding clearing places.

Thanks, just one more thing if you know. For clearing, are courses usually offered with lower grade requirements? I'd like to look into History maybe.
Original post by efijier
Thanks, just one more thing if you know. For clearing, are courses usually offered with lower grade requirements? I'd like to look into History maybe.

Often, but not always. If they only had a few places to fill, they wouldn't necessarily need to lower the requirements.
Original post by McGinger
I work at a senior level in University Admissions. We get your A level results days before you do - we make very careful and considered decisions over several days. And once they are entered on UCAS they are very final.

If you want to get a 2nd big NO, then go ahead - but your time would be better spent looking for Clearing vacancies.

Oh you're an admissions tutor AAAAAAAAA:eek:. Sorry if it sounded like I was shooting you down it's just if i was upset and worried about not getting into uni and someone started their advice with saying "totally pointless" I would probably cry. I'm pretty sure they were saying it as in they don't have their results, I have friends who had their universities that they had a firm offer from say they would adjust their grade requirements if there were spaces available so yeah totallyfine is right there. I was just trying to tell the OP that its still worthwhile to keep trying and not to just completely give up. I still think getting in contact with them would be a good decision because it would still improve your chances of getting in if you were to still try and get a place on the same course by them adjusting the requirements.
(edited 9 months ago)
Oh you're an admissions tutor AAAAAAAAA:eek:. Sorry if it sounded like I was shooting you down it's just if i was upset and worried about not getting into uni and someone started their advice with saying "totally pointless" I would probably cry. I'm pretty sure they were saying it as in they don't have their results, I have friends who had their universities that they had a firm offer from say they would adjust their grade requirements if there were spaces available so yeah totallyfine is right there. I was just trying to tell the OP that its still worthwhile to keep trying and not to just completely give up. I still think getting in contact with them would be a good decision because it would still improve your chances of getting in if you were to still try and get a place on the same course by them adjusting the requirements.

I don't think they adjust the requirements just like that. I know it sounds tough but it is what it is.
I do commend the OP for working out how it all works before the results day but just at this moment, the best thing is to relax and do something totally distractingly different.

(and the thread title does imply we are talking about what happens on results day if you don't get the expected grades)
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 17

It sounds like there still might be a bit of confusion here. It is not unusual for unis to still let you in if you miss your offer grades. This happens at the lower tariff unis right up to Oxbridge.

The point is though that once unis have made their decision and updated UCAS, they won’t change their mind. They can’t do, as if they did, it would be total chaos as everyone would be calling in, and it would also be unfair as they can’t base decisions simply on how much someone pleads.
I don't think they adjust the requirements just like that. I know it sounds tough but it is what it is.
I do commend the OP for working out how it all works before the results day but just at this moment, the best thing is to relax and do something totally distractingly different.

(and the thread title does imply we are talking about what happens on results day if you don't get the expected grades)

I see yeah I guess it's best to clear up that if the OP wants to contact them you should definitely do it before results day and before they make their decision if you wanted it to help. I am like 100% sure though that university's do change their offers for certain applicants where its applicable.
Original post by lalexm
It sounds like there still might be a bit of confusion here. It is not unusual for unis to still let you in if you miss your offer grades. This happens at the lower tariff unis right up to Oxbridge.

The point is though that once unis have made their decision and updated UCAS, they won’t change their mind. They can’t do, as if they did, it would be total chaos as everyone would be calling in, and it would also be unfair as they can’t base decisions simply on how much someone pleads.

Spot on.

I see yeah I guess it's best to clear up that if the OP wants to contact them you should definitely do it before results day and before they make their decision if you wanted it to help. I am like 100% sure though that university's do change their offers for certain applicants where its applicable.

Uni's don't change their offers, but they absolutely will accept near misses in some cases. To be honest there is not much to be gained by calling before results are known, it doesn't "grease the wheels" or make the offer holder look any more dedicated. The uni will only be able to confirm what their process will be. It could be worth asking about consideration for alternative courses if they don't meet offer though.

Latest

Trending

Trending