This discussion is closed.
davidreesjones
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hey, does anyone know a proof of this theorem - which makes it very easy to prove e (and pi) are transcendental. any help/ideas would be v. useful. thanks
Euler
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by davidreesjones)
Hey, does anyone know a proof of this theorem - which makes it very easy to prove e (and pi) are transcendental. any help/ideas would be v. useful. thanks
Theorem:
the Lindemann-Weierstrass theorem states that if x_1,...,x_n are algebraic numbers which are linearly independent over the rational numbers, then are algebraically independent over the algebraic numbers.

The transcendence of e and pi are direct corollaries of this theorem. Suppose x is a nonzero algebraic number; then {0, x} is a set of distinct algebraic numbers, and so the set {e^0, e^x} = {1, e^x} is linearly indepedent over the algebraic numbers, and so e^x is immediately seen to be transcendental. In particular, e^1 = e is transcendental. Also, if b = e^ix is transcendental, so are the real and imaginary parts of b, Re(b) = (b + b−1)/2 and Im(b) = (b − b−1)/2i, and hence cos(x) = Re(b) and sin(x) = Im(b) are also. Therefore, if pi were algebraic, cos(pi) = −1 and sin(pi) = 0 would be transcendental, which proves by contradiction pi is not algebraic, and hence is transcendental.
J.F.N
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Euler, you haven't proven Lindemann's theorem, particularly because it is difficult to prove. Obviously, once you have proven it you can do nice things with it.
evariste
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by davidreesjones)
http://br.endernet.org/~loner/basicn...rotranscnt.txt
look at about 17:43. have fun with it !
Euler
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by J.F.N)
Euler, you haven't proven Lindemann's theorem, particularly because it is difficult to prove. Obviously, once you have proven it you can do nice things with it.
I havent stated that I have proved the theorem, i have just proved that e and pi are transcadental...
davidreesjones
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
thanks - i saw an alternative expression of this theory

Let {alpha1, alpha2....alpha n} be n distinct algebraic numbers
Let {beta1, beta2....beta n} be n distinct algebraic numbers, not equal to zero
(n is an integer)

then beta1 e^alpha1 + beta2 e^alpha2 + ..... + betan e^alpha n is not equal to zero.

Then prove by contradiction e is transcendental

Assume e is algebraic (clearly 0,1,-1 are algebraic
Let beta1=e
Let beta2 = 1
Let alpha1=-1
Let alpha 2 = 0
(n=2)

Then by Lindemann-Weierstrass Theorem
e*(e^-1 ) + (-1)e^0 is non-zero
but e*(e^-1 ) + (-1)e^0 = e/e - 1(0) = 1-1=0

so we have a contradiction and must be transcendental

So in order to prove e is transcendental all be have to do is to prove Lindemann-Weierstrass theorem for a specific case, n=2 (and alpha2-alpha1 = 1)
I thought this might be relatively easy to prove (perhaps using the simple continued fraction expansion of e?)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads