This discussion is closed.
F1 fanatic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hi, :confused:

I dont suppose anyone happens to be hot on Boolean algebra do they? I dont get the manipulations that you can perform to transfer to different types of logic gates. If anyone knows a how to do the below question or knows any good sites it would be very much appreciated. :confused: :confused:

using the notation A_ = not A:

rearrange the following expression so that it uses only NOT & NOR gates:
(a) A.B_.C_ + A_.B.C + A_.B_.C

(b) A_.B + A.B_

rearrange so that (b) contains only NOT & NAND functions.

As a hint I know that it uses De Morgan's Law and identities like X+0=0 & X.X_ = 1 but I have absolutely no idea how. Boolean algebra appears to be completely random & "illogical" to me. Thanks for any help you can provide.
magiccarpet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
*vomits*
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by F1 fanatic)
A_.B + A.B_

((A+B_)_ + (A_+B)_)_ _
((A_+B+C)_ + (A+C_))_ _
(I think anyway....kinda hard to work with this kind of format)
Hoofbeat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Out of interest you're not an Oxford Physicist who has Electronics Labs either tomorrow (Fri) or had them today? Just we have the exact same ones to solve!
Hoofbeat
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ooooo just checked your profile and you are indeed a fellow Oxon. What college are you from? If you're doing Electronic Labs tomorrow then u must be either from Keble or University...or I suppose you could be a fellow Lincolnite but as there's only 4 of us I think I would know if you were! Anyways, if you are in electronics 2moz then I'm the girl from Lincoln College who works with quite a loud and very tall guy (Henry, my lab partner) and will probably be sitting next to 2 other quiet guys (the other 2 Lincolnites).
Hoofbeat
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Further update: Ooo, just found out your from Keble! Quite a few of you frequent this board...I know rich does too. I'm afraid I'm not sure which of the Keble Physicists you are though as there seems to be so many of you!

Anyways, I'll shut up now as I should be doing these Logic circuit exercises before I go to Thirst.
F1 fanatic
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Hoofbeat)
Further update: Ooo, just found out your from Keble! Quite a few of you frequent this board...I know rich does too. I'm afraid I'm not sure which of the Keble Physicists you are though as there seems to be so many of you!

Anyways, I'll shut up now as I should be doing these Logic circuit exercises before I go to Thirst.
Very good deduction skills Holmes.

Indeed I am from Keble, We're the ones that always finish near the end. I'm with a Chinese guy. Well, see you tomorrow then
Bezza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Gah, you guys, using TSR to do your boolean algebra :rolleyes: Some of us were hardcore and had to try and work it out ourselves the night before labs

My answers (that got ticked but may not be the simplest forms!) were:

a) ((A_+B+C)_ + (A+C_))_ _

b) ((A+B_)_ + (A_+B)_)_ _

This is about the only practical this year I've actually got any enjoyment from so I'd make the most of it if I were you!!
Leekey
Report 14 years ago
Absolute genius....posting questions to lab practicals on TSR! Don't suppose any of you are functional programming enthusiasts?!? :confused:
-G-a-v-
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
OK, after looking at this thread, Oxford Physics looks pretty scary. Was considerig it for a bit, but...argh that sorta stuff looks mean. Though that's probably because I've never done Boolean algebra in my life....
Bezza
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by distortedgav)
OK, after looking at this thread, Oxford Physics looks pretty scary. Was considerig it for a bit, but...argh that sorta stuff looks mean. Though that's probably because I've never done Boolean algebra in my life....
lol, it's honestly not that scary. None of us had ever done Boolean algebra before and it's only needed for this 1 practical (so far!), and everything you need is in the practicals handbook. Normally for practicals you just turn up in the morning with the script and work through it - no need to do any work beforehand!
-G-a-v-
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmm, guess that doesn't make it seem quite so bad then - I guess Boolean algebra just looks scary cos I've never done it.
Bezza
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmm, guess that doesn't make it seem quite so bad then - I guess Boolean algebra just looks scary cos I've never done it.
Know the feeling!
-G-a-v-
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmm...maybe they should put it in Further Maths A-level :p:- could be fun...
Leekey
Report 14 years ago
Hmm...maybe they should put it in Further Maths A-level :p:- could be fun...
It's in the AS Electronics syllabus! If you would like some practise...AQA publish papers I think!
-G-a-v-
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
AS Electronics...ewww...I generally avoided that as far as possible when choosing my AS's, Electricity/Electronics is easily my least favourite area of Physics, though Boolean algebra looks ... interesting, so might find out a bit about it...
Syncman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
boolean algebra = karno mapping?
btw i know karno is spelt wrong
Leekey
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Syncman)
boolean algebra = karno mapping?
btw i know karno is spelt wrong
They can both be used for simplifying boolean expressions but boolean algebra is generally better because it can be used for larger expressions. For example you would not really want to draw a Karnaugh map for something consisting of 5 or 6 variables. This is the reason why boolean algebra is the technique that is prefered in most cases.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
OK, after looking at this thread, Oxford Physics looks pretty scary.
Meh, Imperial physics beats Oxford hands down. :p:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads