Turn on thread page Beta

please. what can one tell them?

ReputationRep:
    The impression I got - from a pretty terrifying reenactment of a History interview at the Clare Open Day - is that there are certain questions they're definitely going to ask: things like "why do you want to do English", "why do you want to do English here", and "how do you justify the expenditure of taxpayers' money on teaching you English, of all things". So what I've been trying to think about is English in a larger perspective - why should it be studied at all? What's the use of it? And, of course, what about it appeals to you personally.

I don't know - I may be spreading misinformation here - but that was what it looked like at Clare, anyway. Where are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erika_johanna)
    The impression I got - from a pretty terrifying reenactment of a History interview at the Clare Open Day - is that there are certain questions they're definitely going to ask: things like "why do you want to do English", "why do you want to do English here", and "how do you justify the expenditure of taxpayers' money on teaching you English, of all things". So what I've been trying to think about is English in a larger perspective - why should it be studied at all? What's the use of it? And, of course, what about it appeals to you personally.

I don't know - I may be spreading misinformation here - but that was what it looked like at Clare, anyway. Where are you applying?
    Are you applying to Clare too?

ReputationRep:
    Adshur - yes, I am. Are you doing English, too?

ReputationRep:
    Yey! I'm applying for english at Cambridge next year woo! Not sure what it's like to get in though, I know it's pretty hard and that, but i'm confident it'll be okay as long as I actually start doing some reading lol. I've never EVER read a Dickens novel lol. Shameful I know, even though I dislike his writing greatly, I should still have stuck to the book I was reading and not thrown it away.... lol

Oh, can anyone tell me how long the reading list you submit has to be?-I you have to submit one that is, I mean. And do you have to have read those books and analysed them as deeply as you would for, say, As level? Or is that not possible to read so many classicsa in such a critical way? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    My reading list was twenty books or so. After a lot of deliberation I decided not to include just the books I'd read and analyzed for school, but also some non-'classic' works. I included Mark Danielewski's House of Leaves, for instance, which must be pretty much the anti-Dickens (but I can talk about it, which was my main criterion). I think they want to see that you've read some of the Great Works, but they also want you to have read "extensively, even voraciously, outside the curriculum". (Yes, I believe I have that by heart.) And I figure any chance you have to give them a sense of who you are...
    Another thing. I'm pretty sure you don't have to have read any specific author; I certainly hope having read Dickens isn't a requirement, because I haven't, and you definitely don't have to like everything you read. But you should be capable of reading a lot and enjoying it, because from what I can tell, you certainly will be if you go to Cambridge.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.