what's the most random phrase you've put in an essay? Watch

This discussion is closed.
fasterpurple
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Last year, during AS English Literature, we had a competition to see who could write an essay where all of the quotes came from a completely different play and see if the teacher noticed. The sad thing is...he didn't.

In a Music essay this year I quoted Stephen Fry from An Incomplete and Utter History of Music without citation - my music teacher asked me who had written such a helpful and enlightening book It does actually contain a lot of factual evidence, though, as well as being entertaining
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
'...Othello, who is effectively an instrument to be played be Iago, the virtuoso musician of duplicity and deception.'

I still got 28/30 for that one, so it can't have disadvantaged me overmuch
Acaila
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
{applauds the contributors to this thread}

I quoted Spock in an RE exam once, and I always managed to put really random stuff into my French exam, but can't remember any examples. Not really had the guts to mess up much else.

I know a guy who when asked in an RE exam what Q was, answered "A James Bond character"

Several of my friends and I have an agreement that we're going to write as much random stupidity as we can for our last modern studies essay of the year. Our teacher is used to random weirdness with us though. Like walking in one day to find us making a ladder of paperclips

A bunch of us were also tempted to resit higher English, despite mainly As in it, and use things like Baldrick's poetry, limericks, and Jabberwocky for our texts. Was very tempting , especially after all the depressing stuff like Holocaust memoirs we had to study last year.
Repentance
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
random? hmm...

's'up'

the teacher was well annoyed...she was all like 'this is english an essay! YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE CRAP SLANG! YOUR ESSAY WAS A* QUALITY BUT DUE TO THAT PATHETIC PHRASE I HAD TO LOWER IT TO AN A' (stupid old woman....she needs to start using anti-wrinkle before her wrinkles cover up her eyes)
claire1987
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Last year I managed to get 'I believe the children are our future, and if you teach them well, then they will lead the way' into one of my general studies exams, lol, and I got an A

Also in our media essay for GCSE English my friend repeatedly referred to director Baz Luhrman as Basil Herman, and said things like 'Basil Herman makes good use of lighting by using different kinds of lighting' ... she was made to re-write it.
Natalie Lane
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
there's this major standardised exam here that is required to get into university, anyway; for the last few years there have been several e-mails from the teachers who mark it circulating around the country with the worst answers...

Q: what is the purpose of the skeleton (or something of the sort)
A:To invade the castle in Grayskull
(took me a while to realise the person was talking about He-Man [cartoon])

among others...
nooneknows
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In my five years of compulsory German we played this game for a pastime...upping the ante in exams of course. There were loads of random ones, but the challenge was always ("Ich habe mein Bein gebrochen" - "I have broken my leg") on the writing paper - whatever the question. In the GCSE it was "How could your local council improve your town?" Cue much waffle about dodgy footpaths leading to broken legs.
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The most I have done is made up quotes from the pope
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by historyhoney)
The most I have done is made up quotes from the pope
For a debating competition last year, the teacher writing the draft speeches inserted a quote from "[name], a famous Roman general".

It was only once I had used the quote in a major competition, won said compeition and gone home that I was informed that I had used an entirely fictitious quote... by an entirely fictitious general.
Mrs Rickman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A popular one in RS GCSE was 'and the angel told Mary that God would come on her and rest his power on her' (paraphrased from The Bible) :rolleyes:

In my GCSE biology mock exam one of the questions was 'What is a disadvantage of asexual reproduction?', to which i answered: 'it's not as much fun'.

And in German, everyone in the class in their oral mentioned eating pizza and buying a red skirt. :confused:

And one of my Eng lang exam essays at GCSE began with a quote from Finding Nemo :eek:
Mrs Rickman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh and my friend wrote one RS essay thinking the Pope was a jury of people!
wottabout
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Once I had to write about what I thought of some book, and I wrote, "I didn't like the part where he broke his leg because it ruined the feng shui of the story." Also, when my math teacher asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I said that I wanted to be a Kelbrid (from the Animorphs books, of course)
pissface
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wottabout)
Once I had to write about what I thought of some book, and I wrote, "I didn't like the part where he broke his leg because it ruined the feng shui of the story." Also, when my math teacher asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I said that I wanted to be a Kelbrid (from the Animorphs books, of course)
You people crack me up. I was laughing so hard I was crying. Next essay I write, I'll try and fit in "raggamuffin" some where.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
Oh yes, the opening paragraph to my personal statement was 'the borg, a race of cyborgs from star trek, believe that individuality is irrelivent. I disagree'
LOL!

trekkies rule forever!
RiceCake
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Blackmarket Boy)
My friends at school reckoned that you could blag any weird word (e.g. 'malarky' or something random like that) into a geography essay so we tried it. For instance, they gave me 'raggamuffins'.....'Over the last 30 years, ghettoisation has occurred in Birmingham in parts like Washwood Heath where there has been a large inmigration of raggamuffins...' Have any of you blagged a random word/phrase into an essay/piece of work?

yep, i used , "a tiskit a taskit" like 10 times in my research paper on cunfucisom
RiceCake
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mrs Rickman)
Oh and my friend wrote one RS essay thinking the Pope was a jury of people!
for the longest time i thought there were more than one pope!...until i was hit hard with the realization... that there is only one pope and hes about to keel over
PublicSchoolAnn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
'oh my chilli con carnes'
teamvillage
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Not very random, but just written it and I like it. My tutor won't...

To pass down judgements with such wide-ranging common law ramifications on 3v2 majorities is perhaps using a sledgehammer when a chisel was needed.
galadriel100
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In year 8, we did creative writing. My teacher said ' make this a good piece of work. Make it serious. Do not write about a gang of mexicans with machine guns'
So what did I have to do? I wrote about a gang of mexicans with machine guns. I even included a whole paragraph of spanish.
The funniest thing was, I got an A for it!
Flicker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Blackmarket Boy)
My friends at school reckoned that you could blag any weird word (e.g. 'malarky' or something random like that) into a geography essay so we tried it. For instance, they gave me 'raggamuffins'.....'Over the last 30 years, ghettoisation has occurred in Birmingham in parts like Washwood Heath where there has been a large inmigration of raggamuffins...' Have any of you blagged a random word/phrase into an essay/piece of work?
in our GCSEs my friends and i had a competition to see who could use the phrase "please leave your western preconceptions at the door" the most times...and we just tried to use as many silly metaphors and similes as we could - example "the sun was beating down on the shore like a wooden spoon on a naughty boy's bottom"! that was my friend's but i think it was the best.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
7.31%
They might tell the bully (26)
10%
I don't think they'd understand (42)
16.15%
It might lead to more bullying (94)
36.15%
There's nothing they could do (79)
30.38%

Watched Threads