This discussion is closed.
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Didn't realise you were a postgrad so I apologise for the info.

I pass by it everyday, just wasn't 100% sure if it was the place you were talking about. The place looks great to be honest. Next to an "ok" pub - the rampent lion. Quite large to be fair, I cycled in a bit and realised it wasn't just the one building on Upperbrook/Anson road but some more inside.

As I say, the place looks very nice, its the people who run it that I worry about. If it is owned by opal and run by the uni, great, that's like one or two of the major halls and caused no trouble. If it is owned and run by opal and Manc/UMIST just put their name on it, that would worry me. As Amazing Trade said, they have a bad rep and I realised that a bit more now he mentioned it and I spoke to a few people.

Have you been on the website? Seems like they have quite a good community:

http://www.opalgardens.com/

As it is international (and/or?) postgrads I believe it would mean you were with people very similar to yourself. If Manc Business School is near the aquatics centre, it's about a 10-15 minute walk or a 5-10 minute cycle. In rush hour about 15 minutes on the bus max and 5-10 outside of rush hour. (The major traffic is from just before Dalton Ellis up to Hathersage road if you have a map so it doesn't make a massive difference where it is after that point because that makes up for most of the bus ride in my experience). I cycle in everyday from CC which is about 200metres further away from the unis (but I have to go to UMIST which is a fair bit further) and leave at 8:40 every morning to be there at 8:55 including time to lock up my bike and walk to where I am etc..

Just trying to give you an impression of distances

I hate the look on Dalton Ellis, it just makes me think of a mental asylum or something because the major entrance looks quite old and like some weird institution.....!

BTW. if you don't mind living on your own/finding some housemates (random people) you can try:

www.msh.man.ac.uk

Regards
Paul
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
To further my previous post if you haven't looked at the folllowing page (I assume you have) it could be useful:

http://www.accommodation.manchester....accommodation/
pengangguran
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
thanks so much Paul this is very helpful

(Original post by pghstochaj)
I pass by it everyday, just wasn't 100% sure if it was the place you were talking about. The place looks great to be honest. Next to an "ok" pub - the rampent lion. Quite large to be fair, I cycled in a bit and realised it wasn't just the one building on Upperbrook/Anson road but some more inside.

As I say, the place looks very nice, its the people who run it that I worry about. If it is owned by opal and run by the uni, great, that's like one or two of the major halls and caused no trouble. If it is owned and run by opal and Manc/UMIST just put their name on it, that would worry me. As Amazing Trade said, they have a bad rep and I realised that a bit more now he mentioned it and I spoke to a few people.

Just trying to give you an impression of distances

I hate the look on Dalton Ellis, it just makes me think of a mental asylum or something because the major entrance looks quite old and like some weird institution.....!

BTW. if you don't mind living on your own/finding some housemates (random people) you can try:

www.msh.man.ac.uk

Regards
Paul
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You're welcome
Jenna999
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Uh oh.. I just signed a contract for renting a house from Opal.
Where has everyone been looking house wise?
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Me personally around Victoria Park/Rusholme because I don't want to go as far out as Fallowfield unless I have to. Find the perfect house just the two stupid housemates we had dropped out just leaving the two of us in the lurch (cheers ***** ). Possibly found two new random people though will be moving in with us to a house just off Plat (platt?) lane opposite Dickenson Road if you know it.

Hopefully Opal won't cause you a problem, it's just they wasted our time.
Jenna999
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My house is in Fallowfield, on Lombard Grove off Granville Road. It looks a bit rough from the outside but inside its a cool house... Good luck with your search!
pengangguran
Report 14 years ago
changing the subject a bit. any of you know where to get cheap and good (and plentiful) food near the campus in Manchester? I can't cook
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Learn.....! Seriously, you will need to and if somehow you scrape by, you won't manage in the future. Honestly, there's lots of different burger/pizza places on Oxford road from dodgy looking places to subway BUT seriously unless you have unlimited funds, I would learn to cook!

Cheers Jenna I hope you enjoy your place
ammalaw
Report 14 years ago
I am currently at Manchster University. Its a great uni and I am really glad I chose it. Its such a good city with loads of places to go out as well as being a world class ranking university. I am staying at Richmond Park, which was my first choice. I would reccommend this accommodation as it is not too noisy and located in fallowfield (a great student area). The room is a nice size with an en suite bathroom. I also reccommend Owens Park for those who like the social atmosphere and lots of partying! I know a lot of people staying here who love it and it has a 'party' reputation for being the social accomodation.
nabso
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
thanks for your help everyone, on my open day on wednesday i'll have a good detailed look around..room raiders style

thanks again!
*Laura*
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think I know which house you mean Jenna! Does it have just one pretty big room on the top floor with a skylight? If so me and my friends went to look at that one! We signed yesterday for a house in Rusholme though through homes4u and we have super cheap rent and a really cool house
Erased Citizen
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Which are the slightly quieter self-catered accomodation?
princessa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Erased Citizen)
Which are the slightly quieter self-catered accomodation?
undergrad? Canterbury court is pretty quiet and small, only about 110 students, in flats of 10.
Jenna999
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by *Laura*)
I think I know which house you mean Jenna! Does it have just one pretty big room on the top floor with a skylight? If so me and my friends went to look at that one! We signed yesterday for a house in Rusholme though through homes4u and we have super cheap rent and a really cool house
Yeah thats the one!! No.29! Did you not like it? We're fighting cos no one wants the really small room and everyone wants the attic room! Glad you found a nice house
blue_mimosa
Report 14 years ago
how's the meals in the halls? good? worth it?
caz_x
Report 14 years ago
Hi, anybody know is wilmslow park / daisy halls any good? thanks
jo131278
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by pengangguran)
hmm that worries me. I might be going there this year too. would be grateful for some information whether there is on-campus accomodation for MSc students in Manchester Business School ?? I surely want to avoid s**thole :y:
I will be goin 2 mbs in 2005 for MSc Human Resource Management & Industrial Relations. I have selected ashburne (catered, only 38wk contract tho) shevayn house(ensuite, self-catering, next 2 ashburne, 51wk contract)
Not had a reply yet from accomodation office but have accepted my place on course.
Jo.xxxxx
jo131278
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hmm that worries me. I might be going there this year too. would be grateful for some information whether there is on-campus accomodation for MSc students in Manchester Business School ?? I surely want to avoid s**thole :y:
there is whitworth park & grosevenor group very close to business school
there is sir charles grove- a private en-suite hall very close to business school
i am starting a MSc in Human Resource Management & Industrial Relations nexy year. What course are you doing??????
I have put Ashburne Hall, Sheavyn House on my accomodation form, 1 catered, 1 self-catered. Both together in fallowfield looked round them both on the open day and was well impressed. Some rooms in Ashburne are massive, look like 2 rooms in 1!!!!!!!!! this girl had a sofa bed as well as desks, beds etc.......
[email protected]
:tsr:
jo131278
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
what course are u gonna b doin in september???

changing the subject a bit. any of you know where to get cheap and good (and plentiful) food near the campus in Manchester? I can't cook
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Manchester
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Fri, 19 Jun '20
    Sat, 20 Jun '20
    Sat, 3 Oct '20

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (35)
25.18%
No (104)
74.82%

Watched Threads