Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    That's it really. A guy will be happy to sleep with a girl on casually, on a one-night stand or whatever. He'll feel good during sex, even a bit after. But in the long run, he's not going to feel special the next day and after that if he's with a girl who's done the same thing with loads and loads of guys, maybe even his mates.
    That's what people need to be careful about: there's what a guy wants immediately, and what he wants in the long run. Two totally different concepts.
    I personally don't mind whether the girl has slept with loads and loads of guys. As long as i dont get STI's, and i'm the one with her at the time, i'm fine.

I think myself and others, such as imasillynarb, see sex differently to you. I'm still only 17, and i'm going to enjoy myself for now. I'll settle down in a meaningful relationship, with meaningful sex, when i'm ready.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by svidrigailov)
    1. The clue is in the increasing: continuum.
    A simple web definition of continuum reveals "a continuous nonspatial whole or extent or succession in which no part or portion is distinct of distinguishable from adjacent parts ".

Do I take it that the disagreement lies with the fact of maturity being split into distinct parts?

2. Because that is how things are: the literature I have read on the subject isn't nearly so clear cut as you make out. I didn't expect you to demand chapter and verse on the subject. I could hastily google it if it would make you feel any better.
    Not at this time, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    That's it really. A guy will be happy to sleep with a girl on casually, on a one-night stand or whatever. He'll feel good during sex, even a bit after. But in the long run, he's not going to feel special the next day and after that if he's with a girl who's done the same thing with loads and loads of guys, maybe even his mates.
    That's what people need to be careful about: there's what a guy wants immediately, and what he wants in the long run. Two totally different concepts.
    Girls shouldn't do what they like so that the guys they sleep with feel special? Right ...

ReputationRep:
    Unless your girlfriend is sleeping with loads of other blokes at the same time, of course youre going to feel special, after all, youre the one having sex with her, I couldnt give a **** what shes done in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    A simple web definition of continuum reveals "a continuous nonspatial whole or extent or succession in which no part or portion is distinct of distinguishable from adjacent parts ".

Do I take it that the disagreement lies with the fact of maturity being split into distinct parts?

Not at this time, thanks.

Yes, I meant continuum in its radical Latin sense 'a continuous body or thing', which corresponds quite nicely to the modern English sense. The argument, for me, hinges on the possibility of delimitation, but I think I've made my point of view quite clear on this; and we've already established that this argument has become quite circular.

ReputationRep:
    See latest edit.
    Thankyou. Now look I concede that I am far less intellingent than you, but please, try to accomodate the rest of the forum. We have people here who are first year GCSE. They aren't going to be able to understand your comments. I'm a first year BEng student and I'm having trouble A) Understanding possibly some of the most complex syntax that I have ever seen and B) Your "common" latin abbreviations. I ask you kindly, please... reconsider your use of said syntax and abbreviations. Its hard for anyone to join in with the debate when they turn off because of its complexity. This isn't fair.

I particularly congratulate Timeofyourlife for following your debate, he's done well.

Sorry for getting irate about this but can you not see how frustrating it is for other people to try and participate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puppy)
    Girls shouldn't do what they like so that the guys they sleep with feel special? Right ...
    as I said before:
    Noone's opinion is going to be changed by this discussion. If people want to have sex whenever they feel like it, so be it.
    But if a girl sleeps around, gets a reputation or whatever and then wonders why she can't get a decent guy, she shouldn't be surprised. Most decent guys respect girls who don't sleep with random people and who are actually picky about who they sleep with: not just a guy they find attractive or who's got a cool jacket or haircut, but who they truly like/love.
    It's about pride and esteem. Being with a girl who values who she sleeps with makes you feel good, makes you feel special.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I meant continuum in its radical Latin sense 'a continuous body or thing', which corresponds quite nicely to the modern English sense. The argument, for me, hinges on the possibility of delimitation, but I think I've made my point of view quite clear on this; and we've already established that this argument has become quite circular.
    I dare say I'll return to this thread at a more reasonable hour to expand upon delimitation.

In the mean time, you people have kept me up for too long and I've got wards at 6 Night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Thankyou. Now look I concede that I am far less intellingent than you, but please, try to accomodate the rest of the forum. We have people here who are first year GCSE. They aren't going to be able to understand your comments. I'm a first year BEng student and I'm having trouble A) Understanding possibly some of the most complex syntax that I have ever seen and B) Your "common" latin abbreviations. I ask you kindly, please... reconsider your use of said syntax and abbreviations. Its hard for anyone to join in with the debate when they turn off because of its complexity. This isn't fair.

I particularly congratulate Timeofyourlife for following your debate, he's done well.

Sorry for getting irate about this but can you not see how frustrating it is for other people to try and participate?
    I can understand and I don't even have English A-level. I think it's nice to have something a bit more challenging to follow- the internet all too frequently causes a "dumbing-down" in just about everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Unless your girlfriend is sleeping with loads of other blokes at the same time, of course youre going to feel special, after all, youre the one having sex with her, I couldnt give a **** what shes done in the past.
    Good for you then but I know loads of people who do care (more or less) about their partner's past. If it's just about going out, nothing serious, obviously it's different.
    What someone has done in the past is a good sign of how they perceive certain things and what they will do in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puppy)
    the internet all too frequently causes a "dumbing-down" in just about everything.
    i agree.

(Original post by puppy)
    I myself like wearing SS uniforms to fancy dress parties- anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puppy)
    I can understand and I don't even have English A-level. I think it's nice to have something a bit more challenging to follow- the internet all too frequently causes a "dumbing-down" in just about everything.
    But there is a difference between providing a challange, and using achaic latin terms to the extent that one sounds pretentious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puppy)
    Maybe its me being retarded or too tired

Don't I feel pathetic now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yossarian)
    But there is a difference between providing a challange, and using achaic latin terms to the extent that one sounds pretentious.

Let's be realistic about this, I used a single Latin abbreviation (q.v.), which one finds virtually everywhere, dictionaries, scholarly works, the footnotes to GCSE editions of Shakspere. It's not quite the same thing as speaking in Latin, or using Latin so frequently, and so obviously, that it becomes indicative of some kind of pretention to education (which, surely, is what pretentious means in this context). Using a simple abbreviation which one has occcasion to use all the time I don't think qualifies as 'pretentious', even by the loosest definition of the word (especially in a language so sodden with e.g's, and i.e's, and etc's).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Maybe its me being retarded or too tired

Don't I feel pathetic now
    Well I understand what is being said, and a little of the latin.
    However if given most of the words and asked to define them I would fail.
    The meaning can be highlighted by the context in which they are used and the surrounding words as well.

It is nice to have someone who doesn't revert to text speak, or slang. Although, my brain hurts understanding it at 2 am.

ReputationRep:
    Let's be realistic about this, I used a single Latin abbreviation (q.v.), which one finds virtually everywhere, dictionaries, scholarly works, the footnotes to GCSE editions of Shakspere. It's not quite the same thing as speaking in Latin, or using Latin so frequently, and so obviously, that it becomes indicative of some kind of pretention to education (which, surely, is what pretentious means in this context). Using a simple abbreviation which one has occcasion to use all the time I don't think qualifies as 'pretentious', even by the loosest definition of the word (especially in a language so sodden with e.g's, and i.e's, and etc's).
    Please add continuum to the list of used latin terms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yossarian)
    Please add continuum to the list of used latin terms.

Continuum is an English word, and has been for the last four hundred years.

ReputationRep:
    Dude, you talk funny. :p:

Vlad, your not the only one. I'm not educated enough to understand what he says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luize)
    Well I understand what is being said, and a little of the latin.
    However if given most of the words and asked to define them I would fail.
    The meaning can be highlighted by the context in which they are used and the surrounding words as well.

It is nice to have someone who doesn't revert to text speak, or slang. Although, my brain hurts understanding it at 2 am.
    I understood what I bothered to read... with some difficulty for the same reason as you. Trying to follow his arguement was becoming near impossible for me though, mainly because it was taking so much time to comprehend what was being said that I lost all enthusiasm with the debate and ceased to read the posts.
    I'm just going to stop now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

It really depends on the individuals. I had sex quite early on with my boyfriend, but it felt right and we've been together nearly three years.

whenever you feel right and same as you i had sex quite early on and we still together after 1 and a haf years!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.