How long should a couple be going out before having sex? Watch

This discussion is closed.
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Blackmarket Boy)
what? even if both parties are under 16?
Yes, IIRC.

EDIT: see Luzie's post below
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
The guys age doesn't actually come in as a factor. If the girl is under 16, it is statutory rape.
Yeh although the guy can be let off (of rape at least) if the girl is consenting...Unlawful sexual acts. There has been a new law put in place, under 13's and it is rape with a possible life sentence.

(Original post by BBC News)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/3638464.stm
Under laws brought in May this year, sex with a child under 13 is classified as rape and is punishable with a life sentence

But the act is not retrospective which meant Barrett was sentenced for unlawful sexual intercourse, although that too can carry a life sentence when the victim is under 13
Barrett's case highlighted the law, there is quite a bit of information on BBC about it.
puppy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
not everyones a sorry little slut like you
Woah, dude, get a life. That's not her being a slut that's you being repressed and jealous. If people want sex that's their business, keep your callous opinions to yourself.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
can being the key word
Ok then, replace 'can' with 'much more likely to'..

and as for..

And by being a few years older you are prepared to have an abortion/baby?
some 30 year olds are not "prepared" to have a baby or abortion, but they're much more likely to beable to deal with it psychologically as they have the privilege of maturity.

maturity generally increases a significant amount between 14 and 16 to justify an increased awareness of the impacts of a decision regarding babies/sexual health.

the government has to pick an arbitrary figure from somewhere and I think 16 is more than reasonable.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by need_money)
:eek: Wow, a year? 10 months? How do you wait so long?
And you are 14? :rolleyes:
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thats possibly one of the dumbest things Ive ever heard, whether or not you tell people about having sex determines your maturity? Get ****ing real.
No... I disagree, if a couple love each other then they should be entitled to do whatever they want. If they want a long term, serious relationship, well then good for them. If you then go out though and brag about it... thats incredibly childish. If you keep it between yourselves, then you're not just making youself seem popular and being more mature about the relationship.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by puppy)
If people want sex that's their business
not if the laws of the state dictate otherwise.
Luize
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thats equally as stupid.

Im sorry, but talking about sex and relationships has nothing to do with either your maturity, or your motives behind having sex.

But equally, those who didn't feel the need to talk about it... it was obviously a decision of their own. And they had educated themselves on protection and what the do when things go wrong etc as the school regularly forgot to do sex ed.
Those who spoke about it, would boast and use it as a status symbol.
puppy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Ok then, replace 'can' with 'much more likely to'..

and as for..

some 30 year olds are not "prepared" to have a baby or abortion, but they're much more likely to beable to deal with it psychologically as they have the privilege of maturity.

maturity generally increases a significant amount between 14 and 16 to justify an increased awareness of the impacts of a decision regarding babies/sexual health.

the government has to pick an arbitrary figure from somewhere and I think 16 is more than reasonable.

Why does the figure have to arbitrary? Surely the government should strive to pick one that isnt arbitrary? What's the age of 16 got to do with anything?
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It seems a lot of you are against under age sex, eh? Can i ask why?
puppy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
not if the laws of the state dictate otherwise.
There's plenty of meaningless laws that people regularly flout, why should this one be any different?
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by puppy)
Woah, dude, get a life. That's not her being a slut that's you being repressed and jealous. If people want sex that's their business, keep your callous opinions to yourself.
rofl...jealous? dont think so.
Harv616
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by puppy)
There's plenty of meaningless laws that people regularly flout, why should this one be any different?
How would you feel if your 11 yr old daughter was sleeping around?
puppy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
rofl...jealous? dont think so.
You agree you're repressed then?
lskdgjsj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by puppy)

Merely an ample demonstration of the principle that the law is an ass; the law is attempting to substitute for the course of nature an arbitrary principle of morality, ostensibly to preserve public decency, or the imagined fragility of its victims.
puppy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BhArJ)
How would you feel if your 11 yr old daughter was sleeping around?
1) need_money isn't 11 and that was the subject at hand.

2) I'm not talking about sleeping around at 11, im talking about calling people who enjoy sex sluts.

3) I do not "support" underage sex so much as I feel the need to address the random logic that people are using to condemn it.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by puppy)
You agree you're repressed then?
i repress my urge to kill
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by puppy)
Why does the figure have to arbitrary? Surely the government should strive to pick one that isnt arbitrary? What's the age of 16 got to do with anything?
the age of consent. an estimated age which the government considers is appropriate for the general population to be having sex. this age has been set partly due to child psychology and development studies which i think provide a firm enough basis to justify having a deterrent for inappropriate/inconsentual sex.

(Original post by puppy)
(Original post by puppy)
If people want sex that's their business
whether people flout them or not doesn't justify it not being anyone elses business - it is the law and therefore business of the state.
lskdgjsj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Most of the posts on this thread really are such rot. Any psychological repercussions someone in need_money's state incurs as a result of sex at a comparatively young age by Western standards are, I daresay, more to do with the censorious, selfrighteous attitude of society towards her acts, than with any moral principle or imperative obtaining in the act itself. I fail to see what precisely society gains from criminalizing the most natural of impulses, and vilifying anyone who contravenes its arbitrary standards of morality as a 'slut', or '*****', or whatever. Surely any enlightened society would recognize the ineluctability of pubescent sexual behavior, and respond rather more sensibly.
Harv616
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by puppy)
1) need_money isn't 11 and that was the subject at hand.

2) I'm not talking about sleeping around at 11, im talking about calling people who enjoy sex sluts.

3) I do not "support" underage sex so much as I feel the need to address the random logic that people are using to condemn it.
1) I never said she was

2) Sex shouldt be a tool people can use randomly with strangers at such a young age so they can become populer

3) Why dont you think sex should be allowed at such a young age?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (113)
17.82%
It's just nice to be back! (172)
27.13%
Not great so far... (227)
35.8%
I want to drop out! (122)
19.24%

Watched Threads