This discussion is closed.
Mrs Rickman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
At GCSE, people say expect to go up 1 or 2 grades from what you get in your mocks by the time you do the real thing. Anyone know what the equivilent is for AS level?

Thanks
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well I was getting A's and a few B's in my psych mocks, then came out with a C.
Although I was getting C's and B's in media and got an A.

All the marking was done by my subject teachers, and some marked harshly others marked encouragingly. It will depend on how harsh your teachers will mark them.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wouldn't count on those stuff about going up 1 or 2 grades. All you need is to work hard.
Noel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would say you go up a grade at most. The more past papers you can do, the more use to the types of questions and wording you will get, so I think you will improve, but not to the same extent as GCSE (in my opinion.)
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, we haven't actually done any mocks as such, just essays all the way through. What our teachers did was give us target grades at the start of the year. They say that by October we should be 2 grades below, then by February 1 grade below, and then we should get our targets in the summer. For example: in English lit, my target grade is an A. My interim in October said my current grade was a C. The interim I got today said my current grade is a B. So in theory, by the exams in May, I should be getting my target grade of an A.
Mrs Rickman
Rep:
?
Thanks, that is kind of reassuring. I'm on As in 3 of my 4 subjects but i just got a C in my physical geography mock, but then human went much better today so hopefully it'll be ok!
green_eyes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
there are ALIS scores which take account of your GCSE scores and predict what you will get for AS and then A2. ours were quite accurate, i don't know if there is a site for them, your school should provide some info!
Mrs Rickman
Rep:
?
Yeah i'm predicted A/B, A/B, B/A, B/A, and C (general studies) based on ALIS, but in my report my teachers have predicted me AAAA (don't know about general studies - don't care lol). Hopefully will get there in the summer, if not in my mocks...
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mrs Rickman)
Yeah i'm predicted A/B, A/B, B/A, B/A, and C (general studies) based on ALIS, but in my report my teachers have predicted me AAAA (don't know about general studies - don't care lol). Hopefully will get there in the summer, if not in my mocks...
What did you get at GCSE? I'm curious about this whole ALIS thing, I'd never heard of it until I came on this site! All we get are target grades based on previous attainment, which are always really inaccurate, and current grades based on work/assessments in class.
messy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ALIS and Yellis tests are a complete and utter waste of time and mean absolutely nothing. I sat and stared out of the window for the majority of mune (who cares which shape is a reflection of another one!?) and consequently i was predicted really low GCSE's. However my classwork was saying completely different so my teachers were in a bit of a quandry! When i actually did my GCSE's my ALIS?yellis co-ordinator was very surprised when i came out with 8A*'s and 3A's even though my teachers had been saying that all the time!!

In general a lot of people tend to go up about a grade between AS and A2 (3 of mine went up and 1 went down) but having said that now with resits it means that your grades can vary quite a bit - i had one friend wh went from an E to anA! it just depends on how you work!
Mrs Rickman
Rep:
?
At GCSE i got 8 As and 2 A*s. I agree with Messy - ALIS are pointless - how can my GCSE results predict how i'm going to do in psychology, for example? Also, you have to have got nearly full marks in a GCSE subject to be predicted an A at A level. Looking at how many people achieve As, i doubt this is the case.
neha p
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you know what, i think it really depends on the subjects you are doing, and who is marking the paper. i took english, and i once wrote an essay, and took it to two different teachers to mark, both of who were not especially 'nice'. one of them gave me a C, the other gave me an A. i dont think much of it depends on GCSE. so much of it isnt just 'expanding on GCSE knowledge'. especiallt things like chem, where most of what i learnt at GCSE turned out to be a complete lie..:rolleyes:
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think it's silly because they take into account all of your GCSE grades, even though most people only continue the subjects they did best in. For example, I continued the subject I got an A* in (French) and 2 of the subjects I got As in (English lit and history), so I don't see why the subjects I got Bs in which i have now dropped are relevant to what I'll get this year. And how can anyone other than my teachers predict the grade I'll get in sociology when I ddin't do that for GCSE? It would be slightly more accurate if they looked at each subject individually, ie if you're doing maths, they look at your GCSE grade in maths and predict it based on that. I just find it really odd that I got an A* in GCSE French and my AS target is a B, whereas I got an A in GCSE English lit and yet my AS target is an A :confused: Doesn't seem to make much sense.
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That's because they take into account how other people in the country generally do in each subject.
aiman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think it depends on how strict your teachers are. For example in my GCSE my business teacher got a paper that was very very ancient. It had stuff we had never even done. So my expected result was a B/C, but I got an A* .
While in Bio, having a very lenient teacher I was expected to get an A* but only got an A
Cellardore
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
At AS, it depends. Some examiners tend to give you the benefit of the doubt while others would be just plain mean with the marking.
I think it's all down to how hard you work between the mock and the real thing.
With Politics at AS i thought it was too soon to be doing a mock as it was a new subject to me, so i did quite crap, but when it came to the real thing i went up two grades and they were more or less the same questions.
With my general studies exam i got a B (2marks off an A) in the mock but ended up with an E in the real thing, which was a bit strange.
kaisersalsek
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
At GCSE, people say expect to go up 1 or 2 grades from what you get in your mocks by the time you do the real thing. Anyone know what the equivilent is for AS level?

no, it's a load of rubbish, I went up from a U in two subjects in the mocks because I didn't try and couldn't be arsed, to an A in both of them so more than 1 or 2 HA HA
kaisersalsek
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
oh yeah and those 2 subjects were geography and biology
Aitch
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Forget all that.

Do lots of work.

Then do some more.

Aitch
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (10)
21.74%
No (36)
78.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise