This discussion is closed.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Luize)
4: I didn't mean that people will change when outside of school, just that you don't have to be academic to hold a conversation. Through conversation you make friends
6: You may not see it as normal, if they are trying to work it's normal. Perhaps they are shy? or feel intimidated by you etc? I usually react like that around new people if I'm having a bad to average day. Some people just get really nervous around new people. Try open ended questions...What did you do at the weekend? What do you think of.... etc etc

I don't make all the effort now. Last year I didn't make an effort to make any friends. I would never stay around college very long, I didn't like to be outside in around people...I was pretty much scared of everyone
This year I just spoke to people, would offer help etc. Ignored my mind screaming scary people at me, and now have some great friends.
It isn't anything about my college, if anything it's the easiest place to make friends, it's central and the main large A level centre in Bristol. I just wasn't up to meeting new people last year.
4.) Nonsense. Very few of my conversations are academic. Also, conversations do occur farily regularly (not decent ones though due to the choice of who I have to talk to), but they will rarely lead to friends; well, not what I'd see as friends anyway. This is more due to the people in my year though, so point taken; I can well imagine other year groups in other schools being less crap.

6.) they rarely work. No, it's more a lazy "won't bother talking unless you're one of my best mates" kind of thing. You seem to be missing the point. I do talk to people, but a.) Not enough due to the people in my year b.) Crappy conversations, again, for the same reasons. c.) They don't want to make new friends, it's a clique!

Notice how nobody last year even made a small effort to get to know you or give a damn about you being fairly isolated - That says a lot in my view.

And basically, if you were a shy person, you'd have been left in a situation whereby you wouldn't be talking to people or making friends because nobody would give a damn about you at all; you had to pull the strings to sort things out.

So all in all, not so social, is it, really?
Refused
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nima)
Ahhh, and let me guess, you go to my 6th form and you're in my position? ooo, didn't think so.
Anybody who has been to school has been in your position. It's called dealing with different people, it's not rocket science.
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nima)
4.) Nonsense. Very few of my conversations are academic. Also, conversations do occur farily regularly (not decent ones though due to the choice of who I have to talk to), but they will rarely lead to friends; well, not what I'd see as friends anyway. This is more due to the people in my year though, so point taken; I can well imagine other year groups in other schools being less crap.

6.) they rarely work. No, it's more a lazy "won't bother talking unless you're one of my best mates" kind of thing. You seem to be missing the point. I do talk to people, but a.) Not enough due to the people in my year b.) Crappy conversations, again, for the same reasons. c.) They don't want to make new friends, it's a clique!

Notice how nobody last year even made a small effort to get to know you or give a damn about you being fairly isolated - That says a lot in my view.

And basically, if you were a shy person, you'd have been left in a situation whereby you wouldn't be talking to people or making friends because nobody would give a damn about you at all; you had to pull the strings to sort things out.

So all in all, not so social, is it, really?
How about trying people in different years?

And you seemed to have read too much into what I have said. I didn't have friends because I was scared of people, I didn't like hanging around. This didn't mean that no one spoke to me. People did attempt to make friends with me and be social. However I was ill in the first term, but still attended college, where I would try to work, but that alone would drain me and make me tired and a bit moody at times. I could hold conversations on good days in certain classes. And my confidence had grown more towards the end of the year, resulting it being invited to go out with people (though usually declined through being scared...)

Where I go is socal. Very much so as today I sat in the lobby place and had a conversation started with a girl I've never seen before, which then went on to include everyone else around (at least 6...got above 10 people as people would come and go)
You just have to be social with it.
ladyshort4u
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I can't WAIT for the summer holidays coz it means I'm gona see my babe again after 1 year of being apart! and also I finally finish my international alevels and got 2 months of vacation I'm SOOOO excited!!
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by littlemisshala)
I seriously cant wait for them...get out of this college life...err....
My last exam is I think 20 Jun :mad:

Hows everyone else feeling about the summer holz/school/college work...
Wellits the middle of Summer now, its fantastic

This summer ive already been to Sydvegas and the Whitsundays.
galadriel100
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My summer holidays finished only 6 days ago, eventhough they were boring, I miss them
amo1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
its good but ill be sad to leave school
Noel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
CAN'T WAIT TILL SUMMER HOLS! I need to work to get money saved up. When do you lot think I should start looking for a job?
need_money
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
OMMGGGG! So excited! This summers gonna be a blast! Last summer i was a different person....things seemed boring until the last couple of weeks of the summer so now i know not to waste my time and make the most of it. Arghhh you got me all excited now! :p:
undiscovered
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Not really looking forward to 3 months of boredom tbh.
Ziggy Stardust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by littlemisshala)
I seriously cant wait for them...get out of this college life...err....
My last exam is I think 20 Jun :mad:

Hows everyone else feeling about the summer holz/school/college work...
Very excited indeed! *hopefully* i'll have university sorted out and will be looking forward to starting that, and also I am going around Europe for a month - woooooooooo :cool:
thunderstorm
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
my last exam is the 29th june as well. got year 13 ball on the 4th july then going to menorca on the 8th for a week. its my bday in august and then going to ibiza with mates on 31st august - 8th sept bit in the middle dunno what will do, but got 2 holidays which is amazin normally have none!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (66)
66%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
21%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
13%

Watched Threads