Watch
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Elementric)
err, yes.
well hang on.. unless you are trying to say that you should bring it to just before the bite, then take your foot off the brake, then apply some throttle, then bring up the clutch, which would of course be ludicrous....
why? its perfectly easy to bring the clutch up to the biting point whilst having your right foot on the brake pedal. when you release the brake pedal assuming your not on too much of a gradient the friction on the clutch should be enough to hold the car stationary as you apply throttle and pull away.

also, i was taught that you will fail your test if you dont pull the handbrake up when at a stop sign.
Elementric
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Lara C.)
why? its perfectly easy to bring the clutch up to the biting point whilst having your right foot on the brake pedal. when you release the brake pedal assuming your not on too much of a gradient the friction on the clutch should be enough to hold the car stationary as you apply throttle and pull away.

also, i was taught that you will fail your test if you dont pull the handbrake up when at a stop sign.
Oh.. you again..
I didn't say it wasn't easy, I just think it's bad advice for someone having trouble moving away from a stop. It's far better for the purposes of learning and the test to use the handbrake. Besides, my inference in the previous post was about whether he meant that you didn't have the clutch at the biting point when you took your foot off the brake.
becky.fm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by PhilMc)
Must be different over here then, I was told if you were stopped for anytime longer than 2-3 seconds you should apply handbrake as well.
That's definitely the safest thing to do.
Lara C.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh.. you again..
I didn't say it wasn't easy, I just think it's bad advice for someone having trouble moving away from a stop. It's far better for the purposes of learning and the test to use the handbrake. Besides, my inference in the previous post was about whether he meant that you didn't have the clutch at the biting point when you took your foot off the brake.
so why did you say it would "be ludicrous"?
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
err, yes.
well hang on.. unless you are trying to say that you should bring it to just before the bite, then take your foot off the brake, then apply some throttle, then bring up the clutch, which would of course be ludicrous....
no i'm not trying to say that. I'm trying to say bring it to the bit and keep it on the bite and not a millimeters more otherwise you will stall....... you can creep fowards with the clutch with a petrol like a diesel only the bite is alot smaller or whatever the word would be used to describe it. If you need to add some gas to creep fowards then you're cluch control isn't perfect
Elementric
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
no i'm not trying to say that. I'm trying to say bring it to the bit and keep it on the bite and not a millimeters more otherwise you will stall....... you can creep fowards with the clutch with a petrol like a diesel only the bite is alot smaller or whatever the word would be used to describe it. If you need to add some gas to creep fowards then you're cluch control isn't perfect
Yeah I see what you mean, my car just won't do it though seems like I'm in the minority ^^
I suppose it depends on the gearing as well.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah I see what you mean, my car just won't do it though seems like I'm in the minority ^^
or maybe your clutch control isn't good lol and what you mean gearing.........
Elementric
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
or maybe your clutch control isn't good lol and what you mean gearing.........
you're welcome to come and try it ^^
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
you're welcome to come and try it ^^
what car and what reg?
Lara C.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ive never driven a car that wouldnt pull away without use of the accelerator. i have however known drivers with bad clutch control who cant do it.
B10tl
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
same here, i just find stopping at traffic, roundabout,,, etc hard coz as sometime as soon as you have stopped and handbrakes... you will have to prepare the car again and it just feel like i have taken ages to do it and sometime i just stall then coz i have taken my foot off the clutch ... just find it hard generally... i know i got to practice but there isn't anyone i can seat next to me when i drive so i have to wait for each lesson........:-(
Tdm_95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So we should put the handbrake on every time we stop even at a junction?
Admit-One
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No, just use it whenever it’s easier or necessary to keep the car under control, eg. Incline starts or longer waits at lights.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads