Tories apprentiship programme Watch

This discussion is closed.
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...295044,00.html

Whats peoples thoughts? Is it a good idea. I think so though I'm not sure how visable it would be to run alongside the GCSE programme.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...295044,00.html

Whats peoples thoughts? Is it a good idea. I think so though I'm not sure how visable it would be to run alongside the GCSE programme.
It's much like the 'Tomlinson' proposals for 14-19 reform. He said that 'vocational' subjects could be studied alongside GCSE's so that those who had an interest in the more 'hands on' skills could gain these sort of skills (if you like, an apprenticeship style subject) whilst ensuring they were numerate and literate.

All the subjects studied from 14-19 would get accreditation of some sort i.e. diploma (first level) up to AS/A levels (second level) in preparation for third level (degree).

Only difference is - I don't think there was any dosh on the table with Mike Tomlinson's reforms.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
Only difference is - I don't think there was any dosh on the table with Mike Tomlinson's reforms.
But then Tomlinson would have had to figure out where the money would come from if he was going to offer cash
yawn
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
But then Tomlinson would have had to figure out where the money would come from if he was going to offer cash
True - however his were proposals on 14-19 reform. He was in no position to offer money anyway as that was not part of his brief.

I wonder where the Tories are going to get the money from? Maybe rob Peter to pay Paul - take from EMG and give to their scheme. Actually it would work out cheaper for them - EMG 39 school weeks x £30 = £1,170 and they propose Apprenticeship (wages) £1,000/39 weeks = £25 give or take a few pence.
yawn
Report 14 years ago
This sort of 'part-time' vocational training already takes place in some LEA's. Students from the age of 14 who are 'disaffected' by school can learn such things as plumbing, bricklaying, motor mechanics away from the school during some lesson periods.
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
True - however his were proposals on 14-19 reform. He was in no position to offer money anyway as that was not part of his brief.

I wonder where the Tories are going to get the money from? Maybe rob Peter to pay Paul - take from EMG and give to their scheme. Actually it would work out cheaper for them - EMG 39 school weeks x £30 = £1,170 and they propose Apprenticeship (wages) £1,000/39 weeks = £25 give or take a few pence.
In respect for scrapping EMA for this sort of scheme I would be all for it. I imagine that this would be the only real source for the scheme
yawn
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
In respect for scrapping EMA for this sort of scheme I would be all for it. I imagine that this would be the only real source for the scheme
Only problem with scrapping the EMA is that more people lose out - I believe that the figures receiving it represent more than the 20% of the potentional benificiaries of the Tory scheme.

Does anyone have the figures on EMA?
yawn
Report 14 years ago
I haven't tracked down the statistics on EMA yet but heres some of the myths on EMA 'busted'

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/financialhelp...&ContentID=116
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads