The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

UKMT Senior challenge help

Hello

I am gonna start year 12 this year. I have practiced some of the AS maths content in it but I dont know if u need that for UKMT SMC.

I wanna get a gold in it maybe getting invited for BMO (but I think thats an unrealistic expectation).
What are the best ways/resources I can prepare for it?

I know UKMT is a good site as it has past papers. However, are there any other resources or any website which has UKMT SMC style problems with solutions that I can practice? Or simply is there something which I can do to increase my chances for scoring top marks

Your response is highly appreciated.
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You donโ€™t need to know any content apart from GCSE. I did SMC in y12 and y13 and the best thing to do is just practice doing previous challenges. Learn all your exact trig values as well. If you want to do BMO1 as well, you can always pay like ยฃ20 to do it.
Reply 2
Original post by YGSK
You donโ€™t need to know any content apart from GCSE. I did SMC in y12 and y13 and the best thing to do is just practice doing previous challenges. Learn all your exact trig values as well. If you want to do BMO1 as well, you can always pay like ยฃ20 to do it.

Thanks for the tip!

I think the best thing to do is to make sure I know the gcse stuff thoroughly and practice past papers

Also, would you mind sharing if you got anything like bronze or...?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Shubham9548
Hello

I am gonna start year 12 this year. I have practiced some of the AS maths content in it but I dont know if u need that for UKMT SMC.

I wanna get a gold in it maybe getting invited for BMO (but I think thats an unrealistic expectation).

I know UKMT is a good site as it has past papers. However, are there any other resources or any website which has UKMT SMC style problems with solutions that I can practice? Or simply is there something which I can do to increase my chances for scoring top marks

I did the SMC at the start of year 12 last year (gold) and like YGSK I found past papers to be the most useful thing. I liked to compare how I did on the paper with the grade boundaries and seeing improvement over time helped me to keep going with it. GCSE content doesn't exactly match what you need to know for the olympiad, so imo past papers are a more useful resource for you.

If you're interested in doing well in the maths challenge you might want to have a look at what other olympiads are available for your A level choices if you haven't already. If you find an olympiad that you don't think your sixth form is planning on doing, try and nag a teacher asap, as olympiads can make great additions to your PS.

best of luck this year, try not to go too mad with practice for it lol
For BMO you can look to STEP I, since that's basically further math gcse stuff/ beginning of a-level stuff. If you're knowledgably in the principle concepts STEP I s can be quite useful for BMO preparation, but obviously BMOs are much longer and doesn't have the questions split into sections to guide you along.
Hello

Hey. I did the SMC when I was in year 11 and I got a silver. I mainly just did the past papers on dr frost maths
Original post by Mathsgirl888
Hey. I did the SMC when I was in year 11 and I got a silver. I mainly just did the past papers on dr frost maths

U could do senior in y11? I thought it was intermediate in y11
Original post by Ignorabimus

Our school does this as well - I want Olympiad qualification this year. :smile:
Reply 8
Hello

Best resources here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/worksheets.php?wdid=44
Original post by Aloysius O'Hare
Our school does this as well - I want Olympiad qualification this year. :smile:

Just pain, u wit there for 3hrs to look up at the skies. The questions are answerable, but like why does it need so much reasoning, got bored on writing the solutions alone, not to mention some of the weird wordings that sometimes is there.
Original post by Ignorabimus

At my school, top set year 11 does the intermediate and senior

Similar to our school.
Reply 12

Damn
At my school, I had people in top set getting 3's and 4's and ofc very few grade 8/9
Reply 13

Original post by 0gg
I did the SMC at the start of year 12 last year (gold) and like YGSK I found past papers to be the most useful thing. I liked to compare how I did on the paper with the grade boundaries and seeing improvement over time helped me to keep going with it. GCSE content doesn't exactly match what you need to know for the olympiad, so imo past papers are a more useful resource for you.

If you're interested in doing well in the maths challenge you might want to have a look at what other olympiads are available for your A level choices if you haven't already. If you find an olympiad that you don't think your sixth form is planning on doing, try and nag a teacher asap, as olympiads can make great additions to your PS.

best of luck this year, try not to go too mad with practice for it lol

Thanks for the advice

U making me feel jealous ๐Ÿ˜‚
I'll try if I can manage a silver or gold

You all must be getting A/A* in A level further maths?
Reply 14
Thanks for the advice

U making me feel jealous ๐Ÿ˜‚
I'll try if I can manage a silver or gold

You all must be getting A/A* in A level further maths?

๐Ÿฅฒ You're too kind! I didn't take fm in year 12, are you considering it?
Reply 15
Thanks for the tip!

I think the best thing to do is to make sure I know the gcse stuff thoroughly and practice past papers

Also, would you mind sharing if you got anything like bronze or...?

I got gold and through to BMO1
Reply 16
Original post by 0gg
๐Ÿฅฒ You're too kind! I didn't take fm in year 12, are you considering it?

Yes, I am gonna take fm

I think if you had the option you should have gone with further maths unless you decided to choose some other courses which better align with your goals.
Reply 17
Original post by YGSK
I got gold and through to BMO1

You're a GANGSTA!!

Congrats for getting to BMO1!
Reply 18
Yes, I am gonna take fm

I think if you had the option you should have gone with further maths unless you decided to choose some other courses which better align with your goals.

I chose to do astronomy gcse alongside my a levels in year 12 cus it sounded more fun than fm lol. I want to make a competitive uni application tho so i'm self studying as fm this summer and joining the y13 classes in september.
Reply 19
Original post by 0gg
I chose to do astronomy gcse alongside my a levels in year 12 cus it sounded more fun than fm lol. I want to make a competitive uni application tho so i'm self studying as fm this summer and joining the y13 classes in september.

GCSE astronomy... Never heard of that

Anyways, All the best for FM ๐Ÿ‘