This discussion is closed.
The Messiah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
should diplomats be immune from civil and criminal prosecution or not?
wiwarin_mir
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I not not believe they should have this right as none, not even the head of government or state enjoys it. It is almost as if they have a ticket to do whatever they wish in this country and be immune from any reprisals.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by The Messiah)
Absolutely not.
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by The Messiah)
Who suggested such nonsense?
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by englishstudent)
Who suggested such nonsense?
its mainly set up for the protection of diplomats, rather than abuse by them. But yes, there are problems, like not paying damned parking tickets, or murder (if you are the evil guy from lethal weapon 2...)
The Messiah
Rep:
?
well most diplomats fortunately are't serial killas...i guess its cool
The Messiah
Rep:
?
students should be immune damn it
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Obviously purely hypothetical but what would we do with the American ambassador in london if the US launched a nuclear strike against us? Would we have to let him go?
ak763
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Under that scenario he would be deported, along with the rest of his staff.
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
Obviously purely hypothetical but what would we do with the American ambassador in london if the US launched a nuclear strike against us? Would we have to let him go?
Well, he would be rather stupid to declare a nuclear war while remaining in the country. He would almost certainly die, especially if he was in London.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
I not not believe they should have this right as none, not even the head of government or state enjoys it. It is almost as if they have a ticket to do whatever they wish in this country and be immune from any reprisals.
I believe constitutionally it would be very difficult to try the Queen. She as good as has immunity.

The courts couldn't call the Queen as a witness to a trial even.
Kalypso
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
I believe constitutionally it would be very difficult to try the Queen. She as good as has immunity.

The courts couldn't call the Queen as a witness to a trial even.
The Queen can't be tried - she is above the law. No act that she does can be considered illegal.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
Well, he would be rather stupid to declare a nuclear war while remaining in the country. He would almost certainly die, especially if he was in London.
Yeah but what I am asking is providing he didn't die and that he was still in the country, would we not have any legal powers to hold him?
Chrism
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Diplomatic immunity exists to allow foreign relations to be carried out in a civilised manner, it stops governments kidnapping ambassadors from other countries in order to gain leverage.
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well I dont think that we can hold foreign citizens just because we are at war with their country. (random question)If he was a member of the opposing country's military, can we hold him as a PoW?

I think that the post which said that his staff and him getting deported sounds the most feasible, providing the UK hasn't been blown to bits.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well I dont think that we can hold foreign citizens just because we are at war with their country. (random question)If he was a member of the opposing country's military, can we hold him as a PoW?

I think that the post which said that his staff and him getting deported sounds the most feasible, providing the UK hasn't been blown to bits.
I was thinking of the japanese attack on pearl harbour. Shortly after that, the japanese ambassador went to meet with American officals to hand over an offical declaration of war but I don't know what the Americans did with the guy....
ak763
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by grey faerie)
The Queen can't be tried - she is above the law. No act that she does can be considered illegal.
The Queen isn't above the law, she is the law! Crown v. Accused ect.
Well I dont think that we can hold foreign citizens just because we are at war with their country.
It's quite possible to intern citizens of a waring nation; in fact Britain did just that in the early stages of the Second World War. Both German and Italian nationals were rounded up and held in internment camps all over the place. The United States did the same thing with the Japs when they entered later on too.
If he was a member of the opposing country's military, can we hold him as a PoW?
In short, it would depend. If they were a Colonel, but also the ambassador; then they would fall under D.I. and need to be returned, unharmed, to their country of citizenship. If, on the otherhand, they were a Colonel, but DIDN'T hold a diplomatic position, they would fall under military law and would be imprisoned under the terms of the Geneva Convention.
ak763
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
I was thinking of the japanese attack on pearl harbour. Shortly after that, the japanese ambassador went to meet with American officals to hand over an offical declaration of war but I don't know what the Americans did with the guy....
Big difference. He, as the ambassador, was a diplomat. Your average japanese jo walking the streets of LA, wasn't a diplomat. Dipolatmic immunity only applies to those holding diplomatic visas, not all foreign citizens.
tash087
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ak763)
Big difference. He, as the ambassador, was a diplomat. Your average japanese jo walking the streets of LA, wasn't a diplomat. Dipolatmic immunity only applies to those holding diplomatic visas, not all foreign citizens.
I'm friends with the son of a diplomat and he also has diplomatic immunity, like his whole family does... it's a nice little stamp to have in your passport!
d750
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Diplomats aren't immune from prosecution, they're just immune from prosecution in their host country. If they commit a serious crime, they'll almost certainly be tried for it in their own country.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.54%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.46%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
18.3%
It might lead to more bullying (57)
37.25%
There's nothing they could do (42)
27.45%

Watched Threads