The Student Room Logo

I got A*AA for my A-Levels - ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nice_100
I don't really understand your Q sorry, can you rephrase it pls?

If I achieved the grades BBB in my a level mocks, meaning a B in each grade and the marks were in between the boundary of an A and a C. Would my school give me the predicted grades of AAA, as if each subject goes up a grade
Reply 21
It rly depends on the school you will have to ask your teachers that. Honestly though, my opinion is that it's unlikely. If your teachers do that and you have never gotten an A in your mocks before and never get an A in your real A Levels, UCAS or UNIs may investigate your skl for over-grading so they might get into trouble which is why most 6th forms or colleges that I know don't do that because of the risks. My school never done it so don't even worry about this possibility, just worry about revision and actually trying to get the A, don't fall for this myth.

Original post by jack_ray13
If I achieved the grades BBB in my a level mocks, meaning a B in each grade and the marks were in between the boundary of an A and a C. Would my school give me the predicted grades of AAA, as if each subject goes up a grade
Original post by jack_ray13
Hey if you were to theoretically get BBB in your Y12 mocks could you be predicted AAA and all the B's were in the middle

Hey I’m currently in year 13, I got ABB in my end of year 12 mocks and they predicted me A*AA. It’s ultimately up to the subject teacher, grade you get and your school as all my teachers said beforehand they will predict one up whereas some teachers for other subjects said they will give you what you get. One of my Bs were also mid Bs. But if they don’t give you one up you could always ask to sit further exams to show them you are capable or get parents involved to help push them to give it a done grade should be at least the minimum to give
I got A* for Sociology AQA and As for History AQA and Economics Edexcel A. Happy to help wherever I can.

hiya how did you achieve A* in socio? im currently on a B :smile:! my options are families and households & crime and deviance
Reply 24
Scroll up I have already answered this Q to some1 else. But a short summary is use Quizlet to practice memorising ur essays, use Studysmarter for their flashcards (they have free sociology flashcards for all topics), watch theTeacherSociology on YT for their model essays + structures and have a go writing ur own essays and sending them off to ur teachers to mark. I actually never used textbooks (although i had them) - instead I got all of my info online because it was quicker. Basically, digital revision with Quizlet and Studysmarter as ur main pieces of revision is the best form of revision.

(Original post by emm4nuella)hiya how did you achieve A* in socio? im currently on a B :smile:! my options are families and households & crime and deviance

Original post by emm4nuella
hiya how did you achieve A* in socio? im currently on a B :smile:! my options are families and households & crime and deviance
I got A* for Sociology AQA and As for History AQA and Economics Edexcel A. Happy to help wherever I can.

How would you describe a levels in comparison to GCSES?
yeah i get more work, but would you say its anything different from understanding, memorising methods n activerecall ie flaschards etc + past qs? I get the impression of a levels being completely next level and alien to gcses so ye
Reply 26
Well. It really depends on your subjects. I did Econ History and Socio and though there was a lot of work, I 100% enjoyed my time at A-Level and happy with the content and how I revised. In fact, I actually learnt how to revise efficiently and more effectively than ever during A-Levels compared to GCSEs - probably because I discovered the wonderful world of digital revision (Quizlet and Studysmarter instead of tirelessly using paper flashcards) and by the end of Y12, I ditched textbooks and handwritten notes altogether and used google docs. As for past p Qs, nothing changed from GCSEs to A-Levels - I treated them as the single most important revision hack.

I still have trauma from GCSEs after having to study 10 subjects simultaneously - that and it ain't fair on children these days - I had more stress and anxiety back then. I would say A-Levels felt like bliss while GCSEs was an actual hell. Well that's probably because I loved all three subjects and some of the people who hated A-Level, I noticed hated their subjects - so choose wisely.
(Original post by hibyehereforasec)How would you describe a levels in comparison to GCSES?
yeah i get more work, but would you say its anything different from understanding, memorising methods n activerecall ie flaschards etc + past qs? I get the impression of a levels being completely next level and alien to gcses so ye

what is the best and most effective way to revise for economics?
Reply 28
Original post by Hamzz_05
what is the best and most effective way to revise for economics?

Past paper Qs. They should be your main revision technique for literally almost every A-level subject. Expert Tuition has PP qs sectioned out in topics which is better. But I would also say to use flashcards from Quizlet to memorise Econ terms cuz they're also important to use in essays etc. Also, watch Econdalplus vids if you're confused about a topic and watch Tutor2u for their model essays.

How long are your study sessions? Im doing an hour with 5 minute break in before changing subjects. I'm not sure If I should shorten it or make it longer so I can get into the zone.
Reply 30

How did you revise economics especially how to answer the dozen mark questions?
Reply 31
Original post by Salicylic acid
How long are your study sessions? Im doing an hour with 5 minute break in before changing subjects. I'm not sure If I should shorten it or make it longer so I can get into the zone.

Oh god, it truly changed depending on my mood and plus, I think I actually have ADHD because I could not sit still whilst revising (I'm getting checked tho) but in honesty, my study sessions could last from 30 mins to hours without break. I usually spent more time revising Economics and Sociology - Econ because I really enjoyed the subject material and Socio because the content was easy to follow. If you're so worried about getting into the 'zone', I would suggest a 45 min session and then a 15 min break. I would highly recommend this because it puts less pressure on your mind, don't be too harsh on yourself. Getting into the 'zone' is also more easily attained if you actually enjoy or find the subjects easy. NGL I never had a timetable I just studied whenever I felt like and what I wanted and felt was right - but sometimes what works for me won't work for every1 so I still recommend the 45 mins session. Hope this helped and gl!
Reply 32
Original post by krisrai
How did you revise economics especially how to answer the dozen mark questions?

I already answered this Q to some1 else just scroll up. But for the 'dozen mark' Qs which I believe you're referring to the 10, 15 and 25 mark Qs, always remember the KAAEVs. E.g. the 15 mark KAAEV is 3, 3, 3, 6, - the first K (knowledge) is worth 3 points so write 3 paras - you have limited time so be quick and precise and straight to the point. Follow up with a single evidence to back up that point + one sentence of analysis and then one developed evaluation (this will add up to 2 marks for EV) multiply this by 3 times and you get 15 marks. Follow this rule for the rest of the long ans Qs though it may be different because the KAAEV will be different. In fact, remember how much KAAEVs you need and when you walk into the exam and see the Qs immediately write down the KAAEVs, and as you're writing, you can tick off the points as you go.
Reply 33

Hi! Well done with your grades 🙂 What grades were you getting in year 12?
Reply 34
Original post by Maybar
Hi! Well done with your grades 🙂 What grades were you getting in year 12?

Hellooo, I mostly got Cs for Sociology back then, I got a couple As and Bs for History and I got straight As and an A* for Econ Y12.

I'm sitting my sociology rn, I'm working at like 90% for 20 markers, will this drop off during the A levels and for 30 markers. I got A*A* for my business and econ last year so I have confidence but I'll need a good strat any advice?
Reply 36
Original post by nelson585
I'm sitting my sociology rn, I'm working at like 90% for 20 markers, will this drop off during the A levels and for 30 markers. I got A*A* for my business and econ last year so I have confidence but I'll need a good strat any advice?

I'm sorry I don't understand the basis of your Q, can you paraphrase it please?
Reply 37
Are you able to share flashcards for your Edexcel A Economics if you do have?! :biggrin:
Reply 38
Original post by krisrai
Are you able to share flashcards for your Edexcel A Economics if you do have?! :biggrin:

Hello, please go on Quizlet and type in Nicky_EDC. I have a range of flashcards for Econ that are free.

What are the strengths and limitations of structured interviews in terms of PERVERTED?

Quick Reply

Latest