This discussion is closed.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hi. I take part in as many contact lens trials as I can whilst I'm at university in Manchester. The money is good, and for the duration of the trials I am provided with free contacts. I've trialled various daily, and months lenses. At the moment, I'm trialling some new extended wear lenses, and anyway they are great. When I'm not taking part in trials, I wear daily disposable.

If you wear contacts, what do you use? Poll to follow asap.
bestdeceptions
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have daily disposables I had monthlys for years but they got so annoying. I just couldn't be bothered with the whole routine in the morning. Daily ones are so much easier
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
monthly disposable ones
except I forgot how to take them out properly so now when i wear them I risk doing it wrong and damaging my cornea (I've had minor infections before... minor but damn painful)

I dont suppose you could tell me how to do it again? lol (I'm a fool!)
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by bestdeceptions)
I have daily disposables I had monthlys for years but they got so annoying. I just couldn't be bothered with the whole routine in the morning. Daily ones are so much easier
Daily ones do kick ass. However... the hassle of putting them in in the morning is a problem particularly if you do much camping. When I've gone on exercise with the army, I've frequently found myself waking up at 5am needing to get my lenses in and when we are being tactical (eg no white light, minimal red light) and we don't have proper washing facilities. It gets pretty difficult! Hence, I'm rather excited about these extended wear contacts.
Zapsta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mik1w)
I forgot how to take them out properly so now when i wear them I risk doing it wrong and damaging my cornea
God, who cares? Just shove your fingers in there and yank it out
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by mik1w)
monthly disposable ones
except I forgot how to take them out properly so now when i wear them I risk doing it wrong and damaging my cornea (I've had minor infections before... minor but damn painful)

I dont suppose you could tell me how to do it again? lol (I'm a fool!)
Well, there are numerous techniques. Personally, I use my right hand. I use my middle finger to gently pull down my lower eyelid. Then I use my thumb and forefinger to just pluck the lens off my eye.
bestdeceptions
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hehe When I had mine...

I took them out and put them in the lil case thing and filled it up with the acidy stuff (as you can see I have forgotten all the technical terms). Then in the morning I threw the acidy stuff away, filled the case up half way with the other tubey stuff, shook it for a bit, chucked that away. Then filled the case up full and left the lenses in it for about 15 mins.

I think that's it :eek: Is that what you meant?
bestdeceptions
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
Well, there are numerous techniques. Personally, I use my right hand. I use my middle finger to gently pull down my lower eyelid. Then I use my thumb and forefinger to just pluck the lens off my eye.
Ooh I do it differently! I used to do that, but then once I scratched my eye. Tres painful. Now what I do is I use one finger to slide the lens to the side of my eye so it's just on the white bit. Then I just use 2 fingers to take it out.
presebjenada
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i wear monthlies.. had them since i was 10.. fed up with being so dependent on them.. want to get laser surgery
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by presebjenada)
i wear monthlies.. had them since i was 10.. fed up with being so dependent on them.. want to get laser surgery
I'm not getting laser surgery until they actually perfect the technique.
john !!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh, lol. That's what I do which I think caused the trouble in the first place.
I was told to pull it down off the cornea and it should just come out because of the shape of the eye and the lens dows not fit properly on the area which is not the cornea. But this never really works for me.
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by bestdeceptions)
Ooh I do it differently! I used to do that, but then once I scratched my eye. Tres painful. Now what I do is I use one finger to slide the lens to the side of my eye so it's just on the white bit. Then I just use 2 fingers to take it out.
That was how I used to do it lol.

Just for interests sake, I was taught a really useful technique by the research centre I attend regularly for the odd occassion when you get something in your eye when you are wearing contacts, and would otherwise have to take the lens out and give it a quick rinse before putting it back. If you slide the lens off to the side of your eye, blink 3 times, and then slide it back, 8 times out of 10 you've sorted the problem.
hollywollydoodle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i have them but i find it so much hassle to put them in and take them out that i wear glasses. hate wearing glasses though, but would prefer surgery. Only wear contacts when Im doing a dance show
Apollo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have monthly disposables, they are pretty good though it is hard to remember when to change them.
Wild Thing
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i have the ones that you change every 6-8 months..but i always loose them b4 that :rolleyes:
john !!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Apparently mine are something called "toric" lenses which only came in monthly when I started wearing them. That was nearly two years ago though.

Does anyone know if they have made new daily ones?
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by mik1w)
Apparently mine are something called "toric" lenses which only came in monthly when I started wearing them. That was nearly two years ago though.

Does anyone know if they have made new daily ones?
Yes, you can get hold of daily toric lenses. I took part in a trial on them not long ago and they are great if you have an astigmatism as I do.
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by none_of_yor_biz)
i have them but i find it so much hassle to put them in and take them out that i wear glasses. hate wearing glasses though, but would prefer surgery. Only wear contacts when Im doing a dance show
How long have you worn contacts? I only ask because whilst I used to find putting them in and taking them out a hassle I can take both my lenses out in about 2 seconds, and it doesn't take more than 20 or so to get them in and that is without a mirror.
fordeletionpurposesonly.
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Daily disposables kick ass.

I used to have hard monthly ones but got bored of the cleaning rutein (and also the cleaning stuff used to have a seriously bad effect on me actually!) so now, easy - take em out and chuck em away
fordeletionpurposesonly.
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I used to find putting them in and taking them out a hassle I can take both my lenses out in about 2 seconds, and it doesn't take more than 20 or so to get them in and that is without a mirror.
Me too - taking them out is really easy. I can put mine in without a mirror and really it only takes about 10 seconds! worst is when they come out the pot bit inside out and then you've gotta turn them the right way after taking them out again! lol
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (140)
17.83%
It's just nice to be back! (212)
27.01%
Not great so far... (281)
35.8%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.36%

Watched Threads