This discussion is closed.
need_money
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by enigmatic)
I think it would be a good idea for members of TSR to record themselves if they can and there should be a thread started in the 'About' section, like the picture thread. Just a thought
I have a recording of me but i sound horrible in it.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Recording your own voice on cheap things like that is never going to sound accurate, proper microphones cost above £100 and so does the recording equipment.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
When do we get to hear your voice then?
Not any time soon! :p: People say I sound "posh" too in fact, but it's just because I don't have an accent/regional dialect.
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Recording your own voice on cheap things like that is never going to sound accurate, proper microphones cost above £100 and so does the recording equipment.
Come on, we get the gist of it!
Sparkling_Jules
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Maybe that's why I love accents; because I don't have one.
The Irish accent makes me melt inside...
claire1987
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Lol, a geordie accent does it for me
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sparkling_Jules)
Maybe that's why I love accents; because I don't have one.
The Irish accent makes me melt inside...
Like you, I can't be accused of having a regional accent. Which might explain why I spent many an hour in my younger days perfecting my Irish accent. And to this day, I occassionally go out and only talk using my Irish accent. It's interesting how differently people react.

EDIT In the not too distant future, I'll get a clip of my 'normal' very English accent, and my Irish accent on here.
Mishael
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Everyone has an accent! Your accent refers to the sound of your speech. You can't NOT have one. :p:
Luize
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by claire1987)
Compared to how people speak where I am, you DO sound posh. Under normal circumstances however, I reckon you just sound accentless and well spoken. Gotta be better than people not having a clue what you're saying because you're accent is too strong ... no, its never happened to me, but it did to my brother ... hilarious, I thought he was going to cry!
A similar thing has happened to me. But I was speaking correctly and they just didn't understand it. EG wolf...I didn't pronouce it woof.
claire1987
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Luize)
A similar thing has happened to me. But I was speaking correctly and they just didn't understand it. EG wolf...I didn't pronouce it woof.
Lol, a french man (i think) was asking him directions in our city centre, and just kept going 'pardon' and 'I don't seem to understand'
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Poshest one my lugholes have came across is of Hugh Grant's accent & I quite love that accent (wish IF I had that accent

Check the link below:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...05#post1634005
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by j4mes_bond25)
Poshest one my lugholes have came across is of Hugh Grant's accent & I quite love that accent (wish IF I had that accent

Check the link below:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...05#post1634005
You clearly have not many posh people then, I personally think i have a posher accent than that of Hugh grant.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You sound like a modern university student - cultured accent but with a bit of regionality in there (I can tell you are from the midlands!).
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You clearly have not many posh people then, I personally think i have a posher accent than that of Hugh grant.
That's right, usually the posh accent, as of Hugh Grant, you often come across is around the Home Counties, while Leicestershire is far away from there, so it makes sense that I haven't quite came across LOT of posh accent, I'm afraid.

I've seen however, people often try loosing their posh accent through Elocution classes, but I rather prefer doing quite opposite.

I'm quite desperate to have such an accent myself, so any help or contact details you can offer would be greatly appreciated, I would say.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by j4mes_bond25)
That's right, usually the posh accent, as of Hugh Grant, you often come across is around the Home Counties, while Leicestershire is far away from there, so it makes sense that I haven't quite came across LOT of posh accent, I'm afraid.

I've seen however, people often try loosing their posh accent through Elocution classes, but I rather prefer doing quite opposite.

I'm quite desperate to have such an accent myself, so any help or contact details you can offer would be greatly appreciated, I would say.
Well, I achieved my wonderful accent by being born with dyspraxia and dyslexia, so I always pronounced words very precisely.
roff
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, I achieved my wonderful accent by being born with dyspraxia and dyslexia, so I always pronounced words very precisely.
Do you eat plums?
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ramroff)
Do you eat plums?
And what precisely is that meant to mean?
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ramroff)
Do you eat plums?
My desperation has NO limit as far as being able to speak with Plummy accent is concerned & hence I once tried with having plums on top of my tongue & underneath as well, however, that never worked, I'm afraid.
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And what precisely is that meant to mean?
He basically meant that Hugh Grant plummy accent is so called cos of people sounding the way he does, while having PLUM within their mouth, as I've once heard it myself.
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Now that's like a blessing in disguise, I would say.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads