My A-levels for next year clash *cries*... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Satine
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
The A-levels option lines at my school were just released...and it looks like my combination of subjects is not going to work out. I'm not quite sure now whether to take Drama or French...they clash. I'd previously only wanted to take French to AS so that might be the casualty...but French might be a lot more useful...
*sighs* I wish things as important as this weren't determined just by luck. Ah well...
animaluvva
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I know how you feel - except our school never gave us the choices until the day we had to sign up for them....we had about half an hour to decide and the ones I wanted to do clashed...I had to change subjects in the end.
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
French or drama? Unless you fancy acting, unis will look more favourably on French, if that helps. Of course, take the one you are good at too
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If they clash. you can do the subject in your own time. Another alternative is do that clashed course all in one year after year 12.
-G-a-v-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
or you could always do the other AS as an evening class, though personally I would chosoe French over Drama. Did neither at GCSE, but as far as KS3 went, I preferred French to Drama subject-wise, though Drama was always more of a laugh than French was...
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
French
Leifde
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
my school was pretty good....everyone picked their AS subjects before the summer hols and then the teachers sorted out the blocks. i would think 90% of the ppl stuck to their subjects after getting their gcse results. some ppl, like me, changed and was still able to get my choices (and was taught by good teachers too). if ppl didn't like their subjects (upto a month on the course) they were allowed to change but this time were constrained to the timetabled blocks. All in all 99% of ppl got what they wanted.

It's good we were asked in Y11 what we wanted to do. we got more time to think and select. the teachers also had an idea of rough numbers on each course and so were able to accordingly coordinate blocks.
Leifde
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
btw i say go with French
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Definitely French. Of course, I'm not biased in any way but drama, in my opinion, is more of a hobby and something you could easily do out of school. If you're looking at applying to uni, French will be a lot better since it's academic and not too many people do it. Even if you don't want to go to uni, it will be much more useful to be able to speak a foreign language than to be able to act. Unless you want to go into acting, that is...
Taldarion
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Actually that's a load of crap, it depends what other subjects you are doing. Drama has added some real bredth to my A-levels. It's the only one in which i have to do essays (Maths, F Maths and physics there are none) which isnt an enjoyable thing, but it's useful. I wish people would get out of that "drama is a pointless subject" mindset. When i was deciding my AS's people told me that unis would often specify that the offer doesnt incluide drama, that's a load of crap as well. Even for a maths degree no where in any of my offers did it state that Drama was not included in the offer. It's a much more highly regarded subject now they've made changes to the sylabus (hence theatre studies and not drama)
michaela_banana
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I had a similar problem with a clash between chemistry and psychology (i want to do medicine going onto neurology, so really wanted to do both) I ended up doing chemistry in school and teaching myself psychology through the NEC (national extension college). The program i got was really good and the support is better than expected. (i also get to sit in a couple of lessons a week, which are turning out to actually be a waste of time) I think with modern foreign languages they send yo cds as well, but don't quote me. I expect though that drama and french might be quite difficult to teach yourself, but if theres other people at school with the same problem you could bung in together, or an evening class would be good too, i know several people doing evening classes in business studies for a-level and they find it very successful. Perhaps if you only wanted the AS you could try taking french for a year next year and see if it sitted in your timetable better then? Hope something there is helpful....
Satine
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Thanks for all the feedback At least I'm not the only one who's gone through this...
As it is, I actually do want to go on to drama school after getting a degree, which is why I'm having so much trouble deciding between these two subjects. At the moment one possibility is taking three subjects instead of four at school, and doing French as a distance learning course, having the course basically posted to me, as michaela_banana mentioned.
Part of my problem is that I just don't know what other subject I could take in place of the one I might have to drop, so distance learning is looking better and better. It'd be interesting to know if anyone else had any major problems/successes having gone down this road...
Anyhoo, thanks again
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.92%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.04%
Not great so far... (221)
35.99%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed