The Student Room Group

Is it worth doing an EPQ?

Hi, I’m going into year 11 and for my alevels i want to do french politics and English lit but I’ve also been considering doing an EPQ. Is it worth doing one?
Original post by ibbyndow
Hi, I’m going into year 11 and for my alevels i want to do french politics and English lit but I’ve also been considering doing an EPQ. Is it worth doing one?

Is there any specific reason you are considering doing an EPQ?
Reply 2
The only reason I’m considering it is because I’ve seen other people say it’s impressive to unis and stuff but others say the opposite so idk.
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Is there any specific reason you are considering doing an EPQ?
Original post by ibbyndow
The only reason I’m considering it is because I’ve seen other people say it’s impressive to unis and stuff but others say the opposite so idk.

I think if you are passionate about a topic that you otherwise wouldn't cover it could be beneficial, and some unis may give you a reduced offer if you do well. If it is related to a course you want to do at uni, you can also use it in your personal statement. It is very time consuming and it can't overlap with any of your A-level courses, so I would bare that in mind. Hope this helps :smile:
Personally, my EPQ means that I got lower offers to several of my unis, although not to my firm choice (for example, Bath offered me BBB instead of AAB because of my EPQ grade, if my memory serves me correctly), so it can be useful for that. I also found my EPQ prepared me really well for starting uni, as the independent work and research is pretty much what I do on a day to day basis now. If you have a topic you'd like th research and think you'll be able to balance your time, I'd say go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending