The Student Room Logo

Tests and insanities of a Psychology student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scotland Yard
Thank you!

My modules are Research Methods, Exploring Psychology, Biopsychology, Essential Skills and Statistics.

Ah so sounds like it covers a lot of the essential ground :smile: What's your favourite part of psychology? I feel like I'd like the sound of biopsychology but would really struggle with the science of it. I've got a friend who's doing a psychology degree and she's got modules like 'cyberpsychology' and 'ecopsychology' which sound amazing but also :eek:
Original post by Pwca
Ah so sounds like it covers a lot of the essential ground :smile: What's your favourite part of psychology? I feel like I'd like the sound of biopsychology but would really struggle with the science of it. I've got a friend who's doing a psychology degree and she's got modules like 'cyberpsychology' and 'ecopsychology' which sound amazing but also :eek:

I feel like I'll enjoy most the Biopsychology module :smile: I'll have a number of those weird psychology modules later in year 3!
I feel like I'll enjoy most the Biopsychology module :smile: I'll have a number of those weird psychology modules later in year 3!

Looking forward to hearing how you find it once it starts!
Freshers week (and a half... no lectures for most until today) has come and gone. It was great fun, met lots of new people, made friends, and overall, every day was crazier than the previous one! It was amazing. But now, time to work:

TO DO TODAY & TOMORROW:
-Watch the introductory videos for the modules
-Go over the slides of the lectures to have some clue what they're about

Erm... that's it for now. I feel bad, pretty much everyone else I know has something, ahem, a little more substantial than watching videos as their pre-lecture homework (hallwork?). But I'm told things will pick up from here
Freshers week (and a half... no lectures for most until today) has come and gone. It was great fun, met lots of new people, made friends, and overall, every day was crazier than the previous one! It was amazing. But now, time to work:

TO DO TODAY & TOMORROW:
-Watch the introductory videos for the modules
-Go over the slides of the lectures to have some clue what they're about

Erm... that's it for now. I feel bad, pretty much everyone else I know has something, ahem, a little more substantial than watching videos as their pre-lecture homework (hallwork?). But I'm told things will pick up from here

Sounds like you've had a really fun freshers week! And I wouldn't worry about starting off gently, it's a good way to get into the swing of everything. I'm sure you'll be busy soon enough!
So far, things have been... slow. Yesterday's one and only lecture was titled "transition into university", which was really baffling because ever single lecture I've gone to so far has been about transitioning to university. No lectures today, tomorrow we have a guest speaker coming in for an optional seminar to talk to us about I don't even know what. The abstract is a bit confusing. I guess it'll become clearer once I actually attend the talk. I have my hopes that proper teaching will start this Thursday, which will actually be a pretty packed day - busy from 11 to 5, with only a small 30 minute lunch break. Then I have a whopping 4 hours of statistics on Friday :eek3: So, here's the lowdown of what I have to do:

TO DO TODAY:
-Watch the videos of a lecturer who didn't cover everything she wanted to do on her introductory lecture
-Start jotting down some notes of the modules. We haven't actually started with content but we have been given a brief overview of what to expect and were given a brief history of Psychology, so I'll be making notes on the small useful bits we've seen so far
-Figure out how the library works in Queen Mary, and borrow two books

TO DO TOMORROW:
-Read that big chapter for the Exploring Psychology module and the small-ish chapter for Biopsychology, take notes
-See the slides for the Thursday lectures

Also going to the Pumphandle lecture this afternoon in the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine - a yearly talk on a current Medical topic, held in honour of Dr John Snow, who, despite popular belief that he knew nothing :wink: actually knew a thing or two and actually is one of the founding fathers of epidemiology. I saw one of the lectures online live during Covid, when the guest speaker was Dr Fauci (the then-current medical advisor to the US government). Great stuff! Excited to finally go to one in person.
Taking a bit of a slow day today, given that the weekend was ever so slightly... insane, and this morning was insane too, with the fire alarm going off in my building and having had to evacuate the building for a little bit. Nice chance to catch up with people though!

Went to the library to do some statistics reading before lunchtime. Being in a study space helped me a little get in the flow of things, except that I didn't realise there were "quiet study" and "silent study" areas and accidentally went to the quiet study area. Great place to be if you're studying or working with people and need to talk, but not so much if you're going solo. After that, went back to the flat and cooked what turned out to be an obscene amount of rice that has ended up using more than half my tupperware - not good! I'm relaxing now, going to go do some exercise for a little while and then I'll continue working, in my room this time. I'm sorting out my statistics notes at the moment. I'm doing them digitally at the moment, to make sure I have everything nicely arranged, and then I'll write them up on physical paper and expand them a little bit more. Keeping digital and physical notes is crazy, you say? But of course it is, why do you think I'm doing Psychology?

Also probably going to some societies this evening. I can have my pick, a lot of the societies I like annoyingly meet up on Monday evenings at the same time.
I've been neglecting this thread for a bit.

A brief overview of uni so far: I've been religiously going to all the lectures, and I mean that quite literally for one of them. We have an "Exploring Psychology" module and the lecturer is something else. Her lectures are really fun and passionate and probably the only lecture in which you can count for the whole cohort to show up because it's honestly amazing. This lecture could probably be 4 hours long and we'd still want more! The other modules are alright, although we had a rough start with Biopsychology and the lecturer (all sorted out now though!) and at this point, I must say that having 4 hours of Statistics in a row on Friday is not fun :nah: Last Friday in particular we were introduced to this little piece of software known as SPSS, which was made by Satan himself and has become the bane of my existance. But oh well. You take the rough with the smooth, and despite SPSS, university has been thoroughly enjoyable!

Today is a busy day because I let too many things slip for a while, so I need to do a variety of things:
-The weekly shopping
-Laundry
-Buying birthday card for a friend whose birthday incidentally happens to be today as well
-Watch the videos set by Dr X
-Catch up on Research Methods notes
-Review SPSS. Much as I hate it, I now have a test every other week for statistics which will require me to use SPSS, so I kind of need to master it soon.
-Cook pasta in industrial quantities so I don't have to do it again for a while, and
-Prepare for a debate which I, somehow, got roped into doing... for Law...
Boy do I like going AWOL on this thread.

So uni has been going well. Took part on an experiment this Thursday - turns out people don't really like being used for psychological research so us psychology students are required to be psychological guinea pigs in a number of experiments if we wish to pass our research methods module.

It was also reading week this week, so I naturally didn't do any work this week :tongue: I'm only (half) kidding. Needed a bit of a break, and needed to recharge my batteries in order to go back to uni with a fresh mind and ace things until our Christmas break. I have plenty of time to do work anyway, but I'm committing it to a list here so I actually do it:

-Revise Exploring Psychology
-Revise SPSS (Sadistic Programme for Satanic Statistics)
-Write a News & Views piece
-Finish the first draft of the lab report

Re: the lab report: so we were all made to do an online experiment in which we had to play cyberball, a game used to do some research on social exclusion. We're meant to write an intro and the methodology of this experiment. I have a very rough intro and no methodology, but we're not expected to start on methodology until this Wednesday, which is when we'll be given guidance on how to do it on a tutorial
If you're reading this, spare a moment and think of us uni students who are approaching the end of term and have deadlines and work left, right and centre :s-smilie: If you're a fellow uni student - you're not alone :broken:

Definitely felt the heat turn up in the last couple of days. Coming up on Thursday is my first exam of the academic year! Wish me luck :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest