The Student Room Group

Agent Duck’s GCSE journey - GYG

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by agent_duck343
Ahhh yes carrot cake is supremeee 💪
yuppp it really is
Reply 181
Hey I'm in yr10 and i do English aqa and I did a mock a few months ago for lang Q5 and did okay but could've done better but I don't know how to improve as in when I try to do past papers my brain blanks out. Like I don't mind the rest of the paper cause its essay style ish but with q5, well I don't rlly have that much creativity I guess so I was wondering what to do because I'm aiming for 9s and averaged out to a 7 for my predicted English lang as the previous questions saved me and q5 dropped my grade. i was also wondering if for maths there were any better ways instead of maths genie ? (i do edexcel)
Thank you, have a good day!
Original post by Mix17
Hey I'm in yr10 and i do English aqa and I did a mock a few months ago for lang Q5 and did okay but could've done better but I don't know how to improve as in when I try to do past papers my brain blanks out. Like I don't mind the rest of the paper cause its essay style ish but with q5, well I don't rlly have that much creativity I guess so I was wondering what to do because I'm aiming for 9s and averaged out to a 7 for my predicted English lang as the previous questions saved me and q5 dropped my grade. i was also wondering if for maths there were any better ways instead of maths genie ? (i do edexcel)
Thank you, have a good day!
Heyyy
For english I don’t really have any tips tbh I’m not that great at it and honestly I have no idea what to do so I would recommend asking in the english exams and study help forum for better advice sorryyy. @Trickia can you help xx

For maths I’d recommend the corbett maths 5 a day and mats watch if your school uses it. Otherwise just keep doing practice questions and past papers bc practice is the best way to revise for maths
Reply 183
Heyyy
For english I don’t really have any tips tbh I’m not that great at it and honestly I have no idea what to do so I would recommend asking in the english exams and study help forum for better advice sorryyy. @Trickia can you help xx
For maths I’d recommend the corbett maths 5 a day and mats watch if your school uses it. Otherwise just keep doing practice questions and past papers bc practice is the best way to revise for maths
Of course xx
is it paper 1 or 2? Or both?
Reply 184
@Trickia paper 1 q5 is what im rlly struggling with.
Reply 185
Thank you so much @agent_duck343 i literally binged watched ur posts for a good 30 minutes. I was also wondering how I can get better at French (AQA), I know you take Spanish but I thought that since their both languages they'd be similar. I'm really struggling with grammar points and knowing what's feminine and male and having a bad teacher doesn't help. I have my 150 word mock on Tuesday so I was wondering how I can improve, same with my listening. Also good luck with ur Gcses; I know ur gonna do amazing and ace them!!
Reply 186
Original post by Mix17
@Trickia paper 1 q5 is what im rlly struggling with.
Okay i got around 30/40 but still got a nine

I tend to lean more into narrative but imma say advice for both👍

If you can pick descriptive over narrative unless you have no idea then do narrative.
Either way plan your writing ot is really important to so you know what you are doing. I advise no more than 10 mins planning.

This is really practice and practice all over get teachers to mark it once you have attempted one under time limit.

If I were you I have have a structure memorised. I do setting/exposition first so basically imagine starting from the "outside" then to the inside. So zoom. Zoom in various different parts and use techniques - don't just focus on language also focus on structure. Have sentence starters you can use and practice using them in your writing. I also advise to read a lot as it helps expand vocab and you can read first hand how writiers make books engaging

Hoped I helped xx
Keep practicing so you don't panic and have a breathing technique
Reply 187
Original post by Trickia
Okay i got around 30/40 but still got a nine
I tend to lean more into narrative but imma say advice for both👍
If you can pick descriptive over narrative unless you have no idea then do narrative.
Either way plan your writing ot is really important to so you know what you are doing. I advise no more than 10 mins planning.
This is really practice and practice all over get teachers to mark it once you have attempted one under time limit.
If I were you I have have a structure memorised. I do setting/exposition first so basically imagine starting from the "outside" then to the inside. So zoom. Zoom in various different parts and use techniques - don't just focus on language also focus on structure. Have sentence starters you can use and practice using them in your writing. I also advise to read a lot as it helps expand vocab and you can read first hand how writiers make books engaging
Hoped I helped xx
Keep practicing so you don't panic and have a breathing technique
THANK U SO MUCH! @Trickia ur such a lifesaver, i will definately use and carry iut ur advice. Thank you so much,have a good evening!! ill update you the next time i have a mock on this.:heart:
Reply 188
Original post by Mix17
THANK U SO MUCH! @Trickia ur such a lifesaver, i will definately use and carry iut ur advice. Thank you so much,have a good evening!! ill update you the next time i have a mock on this.:heart:

No problem glad i helped, english used to be my weak subject lol
Wish you the best xx
Original post by Mix17
Thank you so much @agent_duck343 i literally binged watched ur posts for a good 30 minutes. I was also wondering how I can get better at French (AQA), I know you take Spanish but I thought that since their both languages they'd be similar. I'm really struggling with grammar points and knowing what's feminine and male and having a bad teacher doesn't help. I have my 150 word mock on Tuesday so I was wondering how I can improve, same with my listening. Also good luck with ur Gcses; I know ur gonna do amazing and ace them!!
Your welcome xx

For Spanish I make a list of all the tenses and special grammar features. Then for each module I write a few sentences with examples of each of them in so I know how to use all the tenses / grammar structures in the context of that module. Also a really important thing to note is that you DO NOT NEED TO KNOW EVERY SINGLE BIT OF VOCABULARY. With the writing you are in control so if you learn a few things for each question/topic then use them. If you don’t know how to say it - don’t.
To learn the masculine and feminine is there a pattern or rule that you can learn maybe put it in a song or something to help remember it. For languages the best revision technique is just practice. Do a little bit every day - five minutes should be enough - and then some more at the weekends to just build up your skill and just make sure you know how to form at least the present, past and near future tense in order to get higher marks otherwise you will be capped for marks. Then just get as many features as you can in there - comparatives, superlatives, other tenses, idioms etc.
If you find languages officially and can’t memorise all the tenses just learn a phrase in the tense that you can easily adapt to the context. I would also make sure you know the key verbs (to go, to eat, to play, to work, to listen etc ) and the conjugations. Also become familiar with common irregular verbs and how to use them

Gosh this was a really long post sorry
Hope this helps xx
Heyyy
I had my food practical today and I’m so glad it’s over. It was a bit odd bc I started being a bit behind time then at one point I was like 10 minutes ahead but then I went behind again but I managed to just about finish in time. I remembered to attach the picture so you can see my dishes
After that I decided not to do any revision today so I’m just chilling and I’ll start again from tomorrow

Hope you all had a great friday and a good weekend xx

Qotd - What are your plans for the weekend

Spoiler

Tags - @curly_fries @EvilHomer@brainzistheword@emm4nuella@FanB1984 @milktee@Tatakae L @Trickia
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 191
Your welcome xx
For Spanish I make a list of all the tenses and special grammar features. Then for each module I write a few sentences with examples of each of them in so I know how to use all the tenses / grammar structures in the context of that module. Also a really important thing to note is that you DO NOT NEED TO KNOW EVERY SINGLE BIT OF VOCABULARY. With the writing you are in control so if you learn a few things for each question/topic then use them. If you don’t know how to say it - don’t.
To learn the masculine and feminine is there a pattern or rule that you can learn maybe put it in a song or something to help remember it. For languages the best revision technique is just practice. Do a little bit every day - five minutes should be enough - and then some more at the weekends to just build up your skill and just make sure you know how to form at least the present, past and near future tense in order to get higher marks otherwise you will be capped for marks. Then just get as many features as you can in there - comparatives, superlatives, other tenses, idioms etc.
If you find languages officially and can’t memorise all the tenses just learn a phrase in the tense that you can easily adapt to the context. I would also make sure you know the key verbs (to go, to eat, to play, to work, to listen etc ) and the conjugations. Also become familiar with common irregular verbs and how to use them
Gosh this was a really long post sorry
Hope this helps xx
THANK U!!! Ur amazing, this has rlly helped me since languages is always what I get lowest in because of my grammar etc. I will definitely follow this advice and update u! Thank u so much have a wonderful day!!
Original post by Mix17
THANK U!!! Ur amazing, this has rlly helped me since languages is always what I get lowest in because of my grammar etc. I will definitely follow this advice and update u! Thank u so much have a wonderful day!!
Any time xx
Hope you have a great weekend as well
Reply 193
Heyyy
I had my food practical today and I’m so glad it’s over. It was a bit odd bc I started being a bit behind time then at one point I was like 10 minutes ahead but then I went behind again but I managed to just about finish in time. I remembered to attach the picture so you can see my dishes
After that I decided not to do any revision today so I’m just chilling and I’ll start again from tomorrow

Spoiler

Spoiler

Tags - @curly_fries @EvilHomer@brainzistheword@emm4nuella@FanB1984 @milktee@Tatakae L @Trickia
OMW that looks amazing well done you did a fantastic job😆🥳🥳
Enjoy the weekend xx
Original post by Trickia
OMW that looks amazing well done you did a fantastic job😆🥳🥳
Enjoy the weekend xx
Thank youuuu🩶
Heyyy

Spoiler

Spoiler

That food look beautiful!!! You better get a grade 9 for it!!!
Original post by AspiringSurvivor
That food look beautiful!!! You better get a grade 9 for it!!!
Thank youu 🩶 - we'll get our mark out of 30 next week so 🤞
Reply 197
Heyyy

Spoiler

Spoiler

OMG THAT FOOD LOOKS SO SCRUMMY, have fun out today <33
Original post by milktee
OMG THAT FOOD LOOKS SO SCRUMMY, have fun out today <33
Thank youuuu
We had a great time last night
Hope you had a good weekend too xx
Reply 199
Thank youuuu
We had a great time last night
Hope you had a good weekend too xx
glad you had a great timeee <33