Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My LSE friends were telling me a few days ago that UCL used to be a poly in the 1960s and it was called Gower Street Techical College. What affect will this have on my (our) employment prospects? It can't matter too much because we're usually in the top 10 universities for most things. I'm doing a proper degree (economics) and that's always in the top 10 so the old poly status doesn't matter does it?

ReputationRep:
    I dont think ucl is a polytechnic. It's one of the best universities in the uk along with oxbridge, lse, imperial and a few others

ReputationRep:
    I dont think ucl is a polytechnic. It's one of the best universities in the uk along with oxbridge, lse, imperial and a few others

Of course it's not NOW, but it WAS in the 1960s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Couth)
    My LSE friends were telling me a few days ago that UCL used to be a poly in the 1960s and it was called Gower Street Techical College. What affect will this have on my (our) employment prospects? It can't matter too much because we're usually in the top 10 universities for most things. I'm doing a proper degree (economics) and that's always in the top 10 so the old poly status doesn't matter does it?
    LMAO
    University College London is a prestigious red-brick university!!!!!
    your LSE mates were just being @ssholes

ReputationRep:
    Look, they said both UCL & King's were polys until the early 60s when they converted to proper universitieis. They were called Gower Street Tech and Strand Poly respectively until that time. Neither of them are now of course!

ReputationRep:
    I meant was not is.

LSE people were just joking about lol

ReputationRep:
    Dude I'm at UCL, and I trust my mates. p=0.80 that this is true. All I want to know is the effect of this history on my degree's worthiness. There is no debate that it's NOW a damn good school.

ReputationRep:
    Wont have no effect at all 'dude'. If it does which it wont it be so negible i wouldn't lose no sleep over it.

Economincs at UCL will give you decent job prospects as would LSE and cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Haha

Do a little research/don't be so naive.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, a former polytechnic that is supposed to be rivalling Oxbridge now...dont think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Couth)
    Look, they said both UCL & King's were polys until the early 60s when they converted to proper universitieis. !
    Well, they were wrong Have a look at the history of your uni on its own website, for instance: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/about-ucl/history/
    I'd be more worried about the effects on future employment of your gullibility and lack of research skills, to be honest... :p:

ReputationRep:
    UCL is not an ex poly even I know that and I haven't been near the place. However even it was so what?

ReputationRep:
    You are dumb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_College_London

ReputationRep:
    Its a well known joke! I'm suprised it's taken you so long to hear an LSE student say it to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    How about King's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Couth)
    How about King's?
    lol :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    lol :eek:
    King's WAS a poly then?

ReputationRep:
    no it wasn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Couth)
    You dumb ****

ReputationRep:
    couth.. it's the oldest joke in the book. lol

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.