This discussion is closed.
dazmanultra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
King's College London was founded in 1829. I'm surprised you fell for that... someone with the intelligence to go to UCL... yet the gullibility of a.... :confused:
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Isn't UCL still a poly? :confused:

Edit: I didn't mean that by the way, before people start flooding me with neg rep
mongoose
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
C'mon people! I doubt very much this person were studying Economics at UCL; s/he sounds more like a bitter King's/UCL reject.
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Edit: I didn't mean that by the way, before people start flooding me with neg rep
Such as the board that this is, somebody has already given me negative rep for my post. Didn't even care to leave their name.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes, UCL and King's are both ex-polys, and I go to North Fens Polytechnic :rolleyes:
Angel_Cake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Couth)
Dude I'm at UCL, and I trust my mates. p=0.80 that this is true. All I want to know is the effect of this history on my degree's worthiness. There is no debate that it's NOW a damn good school.
Well, all that matters is what the standard is now, surely? I don't think anyone really cares that much how good a university's reputation was 40 years ago.
Couth
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Angel_Cake)
Well, all that matters is what the standard is now, surely? I don't think anyone really cares that much how good a university's reputation was 40 years ago.
"King's College London was founded in 1828-9 by a group of eminent politicians, churchmen and others. They wanted to see a Church of England alternative to what later became University College London (UCL, founded in 1826), known as 'the godless college in Gower Street'. King's was granted a royal charter by King George IV on 14 August 1829. When the University of London was established in 1836 King's and UCL became its two founding colleges.

The Duke of Wellington, victor of Waterloo and Prime Minister, chaired the public meeting which launched King's on 21 June 1828. Early in 1829 the Earl of Winchilsea publicly challenged Wellington about the Duke's simultaneous support for the Anglican King's College and the Roman Catholic Relief Act. The result was a duel in Battersea Fields on 21 March. Shots were fired but no-one was hurt."

Polys came along 130 years later than these Colleges....
Angel_Cake
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Couth)
"King's College London was founded in 1828-9 by a group of eminent politicians, churchmen and others. They wanted to see a Church of England alternative to what later became University College London (UCL, founded in 1826), known as 'the godless college in Gower Street'. King's was granted a royal charter by King George IV on 14 August 1829. When the University of London was established in 1836 King's and UCL became its two founding colleges.

The Duke of Wellington, victor of Waterloo and Prime Minister, chaired the public meeting which launched King's on 21 June 1828. Early in 1829 the Earl of Winchilsea publicly challenged Wellington about the Duke's simultaneous support for the Anglican King's College and the Roman Catholic Relief Act. The result was a duel in Battersea Fields on 21 March. Shots were fired but no-one was hurt."

Polys came along 130 years later than these Colleges....
Ummm...well that's a lovely story. Not sure why you quoted me before it though! And I doubt very much that any of that will affect how employable someone who went to KCL is.
Hash
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Couth)
Dude I'm at UCL, and I trust my mates. p=0.80 that this is true. All I want to know is the effect of this history on my degree's worthiness. There is no debate that it's NOW a damn good school.
How did you get in to do economics at UCL? I thought they only took smart people.

UCL is one of the best places in the country to do Economics, it's hardly going to have a negative effect on your employment prospects. Surely you would have realised this at the time of applicaion.
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hehe. This thread has been entertaining. The though of two of amongst the oldest universities in England (third and fourth, if I'm not mistaken - not sure when Durham actually became a university) being 1960s polythechnics is fun.
sleepyeba
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Haha, this thread has given me ideas. I shall have much amusement in the intercollegiate halls
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads