The Student Room Group

should I write about what I'm doing in my gap year in my personal statement?

I just finished my gap year and have written a few sentences about what I did that relates to my degree. but I'm taking another year out before uni, so should I write about what I'm planning on doing? I don't have any space to write about that, really.
It would be best to include something about your new plans for your second gap year, that are relevant to the subject you are applying for. This is particularly important for STEM subjects where maths is either required or recommended.
Original post by kaxxxxc2
I just finished my gap year and have written a few sentences about what I did that relates to my degree. but I'm taking another year out before uni, so should I write about what I'm planning on doing? I don't have any space to write about that, really.

Hi @kaxxxxc2

I wouldn't worry too much about fitting in what you are planning on doing next year unless it is something that would really boost your chances of being offered a place on your chosen course. For example: an internship, work experience, etc. In that case, I think it would be worth mentioning.

When you submit your application the readers will usually focus on what you have already accomplished. If I remember correctly it is usually once you have been offered your place that you are able to defer. So in many cases, students don't even mention the fact that they are planning on taking another year out.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Anastasia
BCU Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @kaxxxxc2

I wouldn't worry too much about fitting in what you are planning on doing next year unless it is something that would really boost your chances of being offered a place on your chosen course. For example: an internship, work experience, etc. In that case, I think it would be worth mentioning.

When you submit your application the readers will usually focus on what you have already accomplished. If I remember correctly it is usually once you have been offered your place that you are able to defer. So in many cases, students don't even mention the fact that they are planning on taking another year out.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Anastasia
BCU Student Rep

Thank you so much, that's really helpful!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending