Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    do you think we should have an annual report like in school and 6th form?
    what would the pro's and con's be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*glitter*~)
    i dont, just about everyone would get a bad report!. adults dont really need reported after. they pay for their higher education, its up to them to do the work.

and stop ignoring me :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    i dont, just about everyone would get a bad report!. adults dont really need reported after. they pay for their higher education, its up to them to do the work.

and stop ignoring me :p:
    I'm too young for uni but I don't see why a university should have any responsibility to report to your parents... Anyway, don't you get reports for your own convenience anyway? Or at least grades.

ReputationRep:
    Reports would slow up research in unis. They have no responsibility to parents and plus who would write the report, there is not enough contatc time for one person to give a good summary on how your doing.

ReputationRep:
    we get reports.

Alex would benefit from putting in a little more time and presenting his solutions in a neater format. He has done some good work this term and needs to build on that.

Not a bad term. Alex has found some of the material difficult, and should make sure to practise solving problems during the vacation.

Lectures ran far behind the example sheets which has been unhelpful for students trying to measure their progress. Has worked to keep up with the sheets. Consolidation over the vacation and a further supervision next term should help to get this course in the bag.

prediction 2.ii

ReputationRep:
    I can see why people may not want them because it would seem like they were treating you like school children and that's not what you want/expect at uni, but I think it's still important to know how you're getting on and what you need to do to improve. Maybe staff could do this through the tutorial system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I can see why people may not want them because it would seem like they were treating you like school children and that's not what you want/expect at uni, but I think it's still important to know how you're getting on and what you need to do to improve. Maybe staff could do this through the tutorial system?
    Feedback is offered through coursework and staff have to teach, conduct research and manage dissrtation students. Reports would be a strain and frankly a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    I get reports every term. By far my favourite:

Ms ***** is very intelligent and thoughtful. Alice is a friendly, keen, and conscientious student. She is clearly interested in the topic she has chosen, and prepares well for the seminars. Her solid and well-written essays, as well as her contributions in class make it clear that she is doing work for this paper outside the framework of the supervision too. A pleasure to teach because of her enthusiasm.

Industry: Good
    Progress: Good
    Interest: Enthusiastic

I find them very helpful because otherwise you can feel as though you have no idea about how you're doing in a wider context (yes you may come out of supervisions feeling positive, but how do you know if you're actually making good progress or working well towards your exams?)

ReputationRep:
    my 6th form reports are a waste of time, I should be recieving one at feb half term, that will by NO MEANS make its way to my parents! I've been putting my focus on doing my exams - during december I had my german oral retake, which I wanted to well in, so any homework was put to the back of the exam until it was over, consequently, I expect my "homework in on time" part to be rubbbish. Same goes for january, people thought after 24th (biology exam) all the exams were over but oh no! I had geography on the 1st Feb so again, nothing got done!

That and all the biology teachers at my school are idiots and can't teach a good lesson...

ReputationRep:
    I don't get any reports at all, however in the final year you progress interviews where an assessor marks your work. The first one I had didn't go that well, but the last one I had was brilliant and it has made me a bit more motivated.

Reports on a course like mine are not really possible because its possible you could have different lecturers all the time so it would be hard to co-ordinate, of course a lot of lectures don't know the students indidualy but a lot do.

I am sure I will be able to get a good reference if I needed one anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get reports now in college. Well not that I'm aware of and I always get the post first.
    They have started to try and get parents chasing up coursework, but other then that nothing. I don't see the need for reports after school. the education isn't compulsory and so any report should be given to the student like feedback.

ReputationRep:
    Good point :p: Maybe comments, but I don't think a full report would be necessary. I'd like more feedback tho, from lecturers and tutors, instead of simply cold, hard, marks. I can see where you're coming from, ~*glitter*~

I think that while parents are expected to contribute to our education at university THEY should receive any reports to keep an eye of our progress and ensure that THEIR money is being well spent!!

*sits back and awaits expected flak

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I think that while parents are expected to contribute to our education at university THEY should receive any reports to keep an eye of our progress and ensure that THEIR money is being well spent!!

*sits back and awaits expected flak
    assumes they do contribute. which isnt always the case

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have only talked to like 2 lecturers in 4-5months so there is no way none of them no me / how I work to be able to write a report if they wanted to! lol

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.