This discussion is closed.
gangsta1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I know grades are not everythong but I got AAAAB at AS in bio, chem, physics, computing and gen studies. But I have got 3 rejections for medicine. Ihad done a lot of work experience 2hrs a week for nearly 18months. Hdd a great personnal statement and reference. But i have now got 3 rejections, one after interview and the other two rejected without even giving me an interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The last one is probably going to be a rejection as well.

I was so confident before. Now its probably going to be a waste of one year re-applying and theres also the higher fees.

Any one in the same situation or do they know any one in the same situation?
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Could I ask what unis did you chose, and where your interview was?

Try not to lose heart. It takes just one offer, so try to keep on going. Make sure you get the grades this year, although it looks like you will. Also ask for feedback from all the unis which have rejected you, especially the interview one.
Hawk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
what are your GCSE grades?

and what subject was the B in? General Studies doesn't count so hopefully your B was in it and not one of your 4 AS.
JackieS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
while its frustrating you have to remember that nearly everyone that applies to do Medicine have amazing results, great work experience, amazing personal statements and references etc which means undoubtedly that some candidates who should be a shoe in don't get accepted.

Its nothing to do you with you that means you've been rejected, you've just applied for an extremely tough and competitive degree and someone has to be unlucky

not much help I know
gangsta1
(Original post by endeavour)
Could I ask what unis did you chose, and where your interview was?

Try not to lose heart. It takes just one offer, so try to keep on going. Make sure you get the grades this year, although it looks like you will. Also ask for feedback from all the unis which have rejected you, especially the interview one.
Interview at cambridge. Unfortunately i mad an open application and was allocated to the most competitive college for medicine within cambridge (Gonville & Caius).
Leeds and newcastle rejected me without interview.
Leicsta left now.
gangsta1
(Original post by Hawk)
what are your GCSE grades?

and what subject was the B in? General Studies doesn't count so hopefully your B was in it and not one of your 4 AS.
GCSE 1A*, 6A, 4B, 1C
AS Bio B (predicted A), Chem A, Physics A, Computing A, Gen studies A
ponjavic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Then it is the B, I was suspecting it...
gangsta1
(Original post by JackieS)
while its frustrating you have to remember that nearly everyone that applies to do Medicine have amazing results, great work experience, amazing personal statements and references etc which means undoubtedly that some candidates who should be a shoe in don't get accepted.

Its nothing to do you with you that means you've been rejected, you've just applied for an extremely tough and competitive degree and someone has to be unlucky

not much help I know
I understand what you are saying. I cant do much about it now so gna hav to accept it and hope for the best from leicster.

One of my friends got 4 rejetions. She got AAABB predicted AAA. She also got an award for best physics coursewrok in the country. She had a great PS and reference aswell.
gangsta1
(Original post by ponjavic)
LOL. We had to gen studies at AS. The extra A makes it look so good to unsuspecting people.
ponjavic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by gangsta1)
LOL. We had to gen studies at AS. The extra A makes it look so good to unsuspecting people.
:confused:
I meant a B in biology, have I missed something?
JackieS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well fingers crossed that Leceister take you! And if in doubt there's always the choice of a good old fancied gap year lol
idiopathic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The B could be a possible factor in your Cambridge rejection, but I don't see how it could affect your other unis too much as all of them give AAB offers anyway. Does your GCSE meet the minimum criteria for all the other unis?

Have you had any feedback yet? Also have you read your reference?
ponjavic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The B could be a possible factor in your Cambridge rejection, but I don't see how it could affect your other unis too much as all of them give AAB offers anyway.

Well even if the usual offers are AAB I'm sure they'd prefer one of the As to be biology?
michaela_banana
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh, now i am really scared. Doing 5 (see sig.) this year and predicted 4 A;s and A/B in f. maths (i'll see what i got in M1 before committing to anything) But now i am scared. I may cry. Thats a real shame. Someone at my school got 4 rejections this year at AAAB As levels (3 sciences and maths i think) well at least if leicester take you then you can escape the high fees. I be stucked with them.

I doubt that helped. sorry.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ponjavic)
using the sort of statistical examples we have in this subforum..

my best mate got B in AS Biology.. in fact, she got ABBB at AS. & 4 medicine offers, so i'm not convinced it would have been.

gangsta1, if you got a Cambridge interview then obviously academically you're fine. but to be rejected from other medical schools without interview i'd be inclined to look towards your PS as i get the impression this is the key decider beyond whether the student is predicted the minimum grades.

i appreciate you thought your PS was 'great' - did you get much feedback from other people though? who've seen various medical PSs? did you look up the admissions criteria for your schools & make sure your PS demonstrated them? did you focus sufficiently on work exp., motivation & commitment?

I think sometimes perhaps oxbridge applicants might be a little overly academic rather than vocational in their PSs, which puts the more 'tomorrow's doctors' to the letter type schools off. e.g. PQ is on record here somewhere saying Southampton think all AAAA types will want to be researchers rather than clinicians, so are less inclined to accept them. :hmpf:

hope this may help.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by michaela_banana)
Oh, now i am really scared. Doing 5 (see sig.) this year and predicted 4 A;s and A/B in f. maths (i'll see what i got in M1 before committing to anything) But now i am scared. I may cry. Thats a real shame. Someone at my school got 4 rejections this year at AAAB As levels (3 sciences and maths i think) well at least if leicester take you then you can escape the high fees. I be stucked with them.

I doubt that helped. sorry.
Try not to worry. You have brilliant GCSE grades, and are predicted great AS ones. Make sure you try to get as much work experience as possible.
idiopathic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)

I think sometimes perhaps oxbridge applicants might be a little overly academic rather than vocational in their PSs, which puts the more 'tomorrow's doctors' to the letter type schools off. e.g. PQ is on record here somewhere saying Southampton think all AAAA types will want to be researchers rather than clinicians, so are less inclined to accept them.
hehe you love Southampton really :p:
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hehe you love Southampton really :p:
those townies & inner city violence, the traffic jams, the pushchairs running you over while you try & shop, the green park areas with dubious teenagers & cigarette butts everywhere, the university miles from the centre of town, the sleazy older men.. ah, southampton.
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The B could be a possible factor in your Cambridge rejection, but I don't see how it could affect your other unis too much as all of them give AAB offers anyway. Does your GCSE meet the minimum criteria for all the other unis?

Well I scraped an A in AS biology, with 244/300 and got in...

I did retake and get c.560 at A2 though.
alkaeda
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yo gangsta, dont worry about leicester, ull get an interview easily... they seem pretty desperate for students (even I got an interview :eek: ). all u need to do is PREPARE like hell for the questions, they seem to ask the same questions (why med? why lecester? etc) so keep yo hopes high
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads